once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Roc Marciano album - Rosebudd's Revenge - Coming Soon!

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
    I dont get the hype. Every time I play this cats shit its worse that the last. I dont hear no creativity whatsoever. none.

and the drumless shit is even more baffling.

guess im getting old.
    You wouldn't be saying this if he wore dreads lol

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post

Let me dub it to my voice mail when your done.
    Just got the CD in the mail sounds WAY better. Best Audio Quality out of the three options. PM me a good sharing site.

Peace CT

Is he doing an album with DJ Muggs? Cuz that would be insane. Muggs has been posting a lot of pics of these 2 together on his Instagram. Any info? Peace

Quote Originally Posted by josborne3680 View Post
    Is he doing an album with DJ Muggs? Cuz that would be insane. Muggs has been posting a lot of pics of these 2 together on his Instagram. Any info? Peace
    He is. Check Out the smokebox interview he did with B Real. I think I posted it a page back or just search it on YouTube.

Peace CT

Thanx man. Peace

didn't like it that much when it came out, the mastering is... idiosyncratic. some of the tracks sound so washed out and muddy, especially at high volume. i wondered whether it was intentional, but given rm produces his own stuff and presumably overseas the mastering process, it must be... there is a wav. version of the album where the vocals are more prominent, or so someone on a rap forum says.

https://roc-marcianos-online-shop.my...gs/updates/wav

but i've been listening to it again this last week, and it's growing on me a lot (all his albums have over time). it has a weird flow and sound overall; everything is really stripped down, but in different ways. Herringbone relies on no drums, a couple of samples and pretty much has an acapella at the end (Move Dope, No Smoke are in a similar vein). the very next track, Pimp Arrest, has a simplistic beat but it sounds like it's been sonically mushed across all frequencies (like Already and Burkina Faso). the next track, Pray 4 Me, is dramatically stuffed with brass and piano sounds - and then there are some really soulful tracks like Killing Time, Rosebudd's Revenge and Here I Am, reminiscent of classic tracks from previous albums.

i've always tended to cherry pick albums, discarding the jarring, weaker tracks, and then just listening to it in that form. but rm's albums since Marcberg, like all good records, force me to listen to them in full and i've appreciated that he's moved further towards making singular pieces of music, as opposed to collections of good tracks. with each album he's increased the emphasis on thematic flow, from Marcberg which was a collection of great tracks, to Reloaded which had more of a sonic through line, to Marci Beaucoup where he produced everything and stripped the beats back further. That album was a bit off the mark for me, i think the way it was crammed with features rendered it a bit disjointed and some of the beats were weak... but with Rosebudd's Revenge he built on everything he's done and made an album which moves effortlessly from track to track. in terms of the rapping, rm is probably my favourite mc of all time, so i can't really evaluate it very well; all of his verses are great to me (i prefer his crime rap to the pimp shit though).

all up, i've been really enjoying it like pretty much anything he does. in terms of where it fits into his oeuvre, i'd rank it below his first two albums and Pimpire Strikes Back, but really only because they're superlative.

i think i'll pre-order the vinyl (which drops later this month) and see what the sound is like on that.

this is one of my favourite tracks he's made, and i can't imagine it would have fitted well on marcberg or reloaded.

Last edited by rat fakerman; 05-06-2017 at 02:06 PM.