once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 2017 rap release so far

^^
    lmao there's a rapper in my neck of the woods called 'lil kleine', which translates as 'lil lil'. he's pretty popular too, hit singles and the local big festivals hahaha

POP THE BLUE PILL AND GO N.I.

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

Just not feeling Vince staples. Not my type of shit. It's pretty soft to me.

Quote Originally Posted by derek41 View Post
    Just not feeling Vince staples. Not my type of shit. It's pretty soft to me.
    Regardless of the fact that most would not describe that LP as soft in any way shape or form, why does everything have to be hard anyway?

I felt Drake - More Life wasn't on par as his previous albums. Drake's been releasing classics up until More Life was dropped. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album.
    "Criminals have more rights than victims. Protect yourself and show no mercy with vengeance!"

Quote Originally Posted by rat fakerman View Post
    is lil peep the future of rap in 2017?

He looks like pre-Trump Robby digital

Everything this year has pretty forgettable. The Wild and Bluechips are cool but Bluechips makes Action Bronson's act a little redundant. He has to show growth otherwise it's more 'OK dude I get it'.

Asap fergs album was a step up from the last one, and the cozy tapes was a decent listen when they weren't pandering to their features and being pointless too much. Can't really get into Dave east, too boring.

444 further affirmed that jayz has no actual fans, just people who by design have fun acting like he's in anyway not a C- rapper whenever he drops an album.

444 further affirmed that jayz has no actual fans, just people who by design have fun acting like he's in anyway not a C- rapper whenever he drops an album.
    the buzz for the album completely disappeared a week after it was released. no new single making the rounds, nothing. i thought it was just alright but nothing I've replayed since. and idk why the young mumble rap generation pretended to like his album with non-trap beats for three days just to feel like they fit in or something

I have been playing Blue Chips 7000 a lot since it came out though

breh this vid is how most brazzer scenes start. yo boy beep might have a pr0n addiction. I know, it takes one to know one and all that.

POP THE BLUE PILL AND GO N.I.

To me Jay-Z is one of the greatest rappers/lyricists ever. It had a few great songs but for me the problem with 4:44 overall was most of the beats were boring as fuck.

His lyrics were really interesting and something you don't hear much in rap; family problems, the historical context of being a successful black man in America, Mental Health, Childhood etc. But ultimately I won't revisit it much because most of the beats were just plain boring. I think No ID was going for a mature/Adult Contemporary style of Hip Hop but most of it wound up sounding conservative, gutless and hermetically sealed.

yeah i could agree with most of that. not much life to those beats

How does this have anything to do with rap? Sounds more like a modern spin on late 90s/early 2000s pop punk.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

nada ignorante

4:44 is fire
    N.I.

nada ignorante

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    To me Jay-Z is one of the greatest rappers/lyricists ever. It had a few great songs but for me the problem with 4:44 overall was most of the beats were boring as fuck.

His lyrics were really interesting and something you don't hear much in rap; family problems, the historical context of being a successful black man in America, Mental Health, Childhood etc. But ultimately I won't revisit it much because most of the beats were just plain boring. I think No ID was going for a mature/Adult Contemporary style of Hip Hop but most of it wound up sounding conservative, gutless and hermetically sealed.
    I think the opposite of you, No ID nailed it on this joint. You must not like soulful beats?
    N.I.

Quote Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
    I think the opposite of you, No ID nailed it on this joint. You must not like soulful beats?
    Nah thats not true. But those beats were mostly very low energy and subtle. I mean compare that with the production on 'American Gangster', 'The Blueprint' or any random Wu classic where the soul samples are very bright and hooky. I mean there were a few songs on there that No ID did really well like Adnis and where he sampled Beyonce to sound like an old record but most of it didn't do it for me beatwise.

I'm not saying it was horrible and I was glad Jay ditched the materialism and talked about some real shit but it was eh to me as a piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post

I like in 20 years he has finally not made a superficial trend chasing album and now he's 'the guy' who talks about everything that every good rapper talks about. I think he has put a lot of time and resources into creating the perception that he's what he's not for decades. His success is good, but it ends there. Lyrics, albums, nah. All of his albums are boring and don't survive the test of time. Reasonable Doubt is probably the only 'classic' that the creator went out of his way for decades to tell everyone it's a classic until they complied. I find that annoying but i can respect the capacity to play ping pong with human heads that he has mastered.

what was the money phone line that everyone was dickriding? I do give him credit (with obama) for convincing black american men that it's not shameful to date and or marry a woman. I remember having a relationship with a woman was the gayest thing you could do pre-08