once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: will 2018 be (another) shit year in hip haap?

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Yeah we are getting older but also most of us Wu fans grew up in the golden age of hip hop 87-94. We are spoiled by the quantity and quality of that era, where you could literally listen to any style of rap and it was almost always good. East, west, south, Midwest all had different unique sounds, but they were dope in there own ways. I could listen to jeru then above the law then Scarface then common sense, all sounded different but all were quality. Todayís hip hop is just a regression in a lot of ways to what it was. There arenít innovators anymore, the ones who are innovators in the eyes of critics today are what we would have considered sellouts and crossovers. With that said, there are a ton of cats who still make dope shit, and like back in the day, you have to hear word of mouth or dig around to find out who they are because they sure arenít in the mainstream. I canít buy the excuse that we are just too old to get the new sounds, the quality just isnít the same as it was. Hell, I have Sirius radio and the only hip hop channel I can stomach is the backspin, the other hip hop stations play the same trap and pseudo rap that just sounds generic to me.

Star Shower Lazer Magic ShaDynasty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by derek41 View Post
    Yeah we are getting older but also most of us Wu fans grew up in the golden age of hip hop 87-94. We are spoiled by the quantity and quality of that era, where you could literally listen to any style of rap and it was almost always good. East, west, south, Midwest all had different unique sounds, but they were dope in there own ways. I could listen to jeru then above the law then Scarface then common sense, all sounded different but all were quality. Today’s hip hop is just a regression in a lot of ways to what it was. There aren’t innovators anymore, the ones who are innovators in the eyes of critics today are what we would have considered sellouts and crossovers. With that said, there are a ton of cats who still make dope shit, and like back in the day, you have to hear word of mouth or dig around to find out who they are because they sure aren’t in the mainstream. I can’t buy the excuse that we are just too old to get the new sounds, the quality just isn’t the same as it was. Hell, I have Sirius radio and the only hip hop channel I can stomach is the backspin, the other hip hop stations play the same trap and pseudo rap that just sounds generic to me.
    I made this point before though, there are scientific studies that say people turn off from new music averagely at the age of 34. Its ridiculous to try to judge this objectively, thats my whole point. Our idea of quality is completely intertwined with the styles and traits that we decided were the ideal when we were 16 years old.

If somebody says "All trap sounds the same", regardless of whether or not I agree, that is undeniably old man talk. Lets all just admit we're old and irrelevant and we'll be much happier. You really want to be the cliche old guy bitching about how "they don't make em like they used to"? Its a pattern that every generation goes through, some might reject their eras music but thats not the norm.