once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guru From Gangstarr

Default Guru From Gangstarr

For me, Guru is a legend no doubt and he is a good MC, but he has never been up to par with Premier's beats ASIDE FRM THE MOMENT OF TRUTH LP. That is an all time classic, Guru really took the time to stake his claim as one of the greats and to make that the LP they remember him for. Its a damn shame they didnt get 5 mics for that album, because he deserved more attention for his work right there. BUT, HERES THE THING......

Ive heard Guru described as the tightest wack rapper there is. Would you agree with that?

Sometimes i listen to him and he comes off as if he is trying to be clever but his lyrics are just average, or he is rushin too much and bein lazy. I dont know, but he has shown flashes of genius, but also a lot of average moments. What do u think?
    When the revolution come, you can see me on the frontline
    firing my gun, standing right beside my son
    so when he grows up, he'll understand that i stood for somethin
    when my whole life, they told me i was good for nothin... - Inspectah Deck

totally agree,
    i made a thread about guru being way too simple at times a while back.

the shit he spits is sometimes too simplistic 4 words,i cant understand how some people put him in their top 10 list.
    i do however respect & enjoy the dope tracks he made wit primo.

Quote Originally Posted by GSTYLE
    For me, Guru is a legend no doubt and he is a good MC, but he has never been up to par with Premier's beats ASIDE FRM THE MOMENT OF TRUTH LP. That is an all time classic, Guru really took the time to stake his claim as one of the greats and to make that the LP they remember him for. Its a damn shame they didnt get 5 mics for that album, because he deserved more attention for his work right there. BUT, HERES THE THING......

Ive heard Guru described as the tightest wack rapper there is. Would you agree with that?

Sometimes i listen to him and he comes off as if he is trying to be clever but his lyrics are just average, or he is rushin too much and bein lazy. I dont know, but he has shown flashes of genius, but also a lot of average moments. What do u think?
    i think he is a great consistant rapper with good lyrics he got a nice delivery too and his rap style sumtimes makes up for his sumtimes simple ryhmes nevertheless it's always good to hear him

just think he's NEVER put out a wack album maybe sumthin in the average to above average range but he's never put out an album that wasnt worth buying

he's 1 of the most consistant mc's out there

yes he's in my top 10 and for a reason too
    I got styles sick as hell, sicker than sickle cell anemia, slaughter your circulatory like lukemia

- AZ

he has a simple flow
    but he spits very intelligent thoughts
    Guru and Premier are the perfect union
    and i really dont understand cats sayin that moment of truth was the best gang starr album
    please tell me im not the only one who thinks their 3 records before it were much better
    guru is not a wack rapper, hes one of the best of all time
    he just gets his point across all the time, sounds dope, and more importantly
    his lyrics are actually positive, something which cant be said of most rap music (underground or otherwise)
    and hes ALWAYS a match for Premos beats
    and thats high praise

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Masta Killer
    he has a simple flow
    but he spits very intelligent thoughts
    Guru and Premier are the perfect union
    and i really dont understand cats sayin that moment of truth was the best gang starr album
    please tell me im not the only one who thinks their 3 records before it were much better
    guru is not a wack rapper, hes one of the best of all time
    he just gets his point across all the time, sounds dope, and more importantly
    his lyrics are actually positive, something which cant be said of most rap music (underground or otherwise)
    and hes ALWAYS a match for Premos beats
    and thats high praise
    agree with everything u said exept the moment of truth part

yeah he does come across simple sumtimes but he always gets his point across usually without being misunderstood yeah his thoughts are intelligent too

and even though his ryhmes can be simple the stuff he raps about is usually different than alot of mc's
    I got styles sick as hell, sicker than sickle cell anemia, slaughter your circulatory like lukemia

- AZ

DEVIL BASTARD!!! PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT's Avatar

the greatest wack rapper?

what kind of bullshit is that?!?!?!

I think your shity opinions are great!

Lemonade was a popular drink.

Quote Originally Posted by xHard to Earnx
    Lemonade was a popular drink.
    and it still is

- AZ

Sometimes I think that everyone here is so used to listening to complex and cryptic rhyming from Wu-tang and other such artists that when you go back and listen to a straight forward mc like Guru it just sounds too basic despite the positive lyrics.

Is it because he is monotonic?

Nah I dont get sick of him.

You want to know a wack emcee with a tight DJ? Magoo.

i neva get sick of guru i luv'em just as much as the wu

- AZ

I agree with the thread starter, sometimes I wanna hit Guru he's so simplistic, but other times, like on the song "Moment of Truth" he comes off as one of the best ever. Its not just cause he's monotone, its cause he seems lazy sometimes when he's writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam
    I agree with the thread starter, sometimes I wanna hit Guru he's so simplistic, but other times, like on the song "Moment of Truth" he comes off as one of the best ever. Its not just cause he's monotone, its cause he seems lazy sometimes when he's writing.
    exactly.
    couldnt agree more.

What is wrong with simplistic rhymes?

Would you prefer him to be spittin' shit you didn't understand, or took years for you to work out? ...To me, that stops you enjoyin' the shit

Masta ACE also has a straight forward rhyme style and I think it's great it just adds variety in the game, I do see peoples point about Guru but I would not ever say he was wack, if I want to listen to complex rhyming then I will listen to rappers that do that but sometimes I just want to hear something straight but keeping with the intellegent and positve lyrics.