Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 263334353637383946 ... LastLast

Thread: Poker Discussion

Veteran Member mic-cord-strangler's Avatar

Standard
    1st king

Quote Originally Posted by Jeru View Post
    people can't seem to fold Kings whereas I have no problems with it...

folding KK preflop is in general wrong. unless youre like extremely deep. but most online games playing 100 big blinds deep its a huge mistake to fold KK pre
    Last edited by mic-cord-strangler; 05-08-2009 at 04:21 PM.
    1st king

Urban's, Gigy's, Queen's, Roze's wildest dreams

Quote Originally Posted by mic-cord-strangler View Post
    folding KK preflop is wrong. unless youre like extremely deep. but most online games playing 100 big blinds deep its a huge mistake to fold KK pre
    When you know you're beat...you'd rather call and hope to hit a 2 outer? I've gotten away from Kings a lot preflop or on the flop and I always made the right decision.

I'm not bashing your theory, you obviously know a thing or 2 about poker, but I'm not gonna call something, knowing I'm beat and relying on luck to win a hand.

Winner of The Masta Killa Award 2007
    New and Improved Cool List : Everybody
    The Cool List name and product is protected under the laws of I used it first.All rights reserved

Well yeah bad beats happen to me 2 everyday but not like that, it was 3-4 bet preflop before he shoved, I mean I keep raising, and I dunno...people can't seem to fold Kings whereas I have no problems with it... and today I had pocket K in SB. It was folded to me, cuz I don't like slowplaying in the SB. BB reraised, I reraised he just called. flop was 256 ( 2 spades ) I bet just under pot and he pushes, I instacall, he has Jacks, and he 2 outs me on the river. I wanted to puke.
    The thing that kills me the worst is the dominating ace that gets beat by the weaker kicker. If I had to venture a guess I probably run 50/50 or worse in those situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    If your posts are not relevant to the thread or if there's a strong indication of trolling/rudeness/slander, the post will be deleted. As a moderator, it's my job to moderate to the best of my ability.

He's right folding KK preflop is the wrong move. Like Harrington says, even if you are beat, which is really rare, you still have a 19% chance to win. You should take your lumps in a situation like that.
    If your posts are not relevant to the thread or if there's a strong indication of trolling/rudeness/slander, the post will be deleted. As a moderator, it's my job to moderate to the best of my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    The thing that kills me the worst is the dominating ace that gets beat by the weaker kicker. If I had to venture a guess I probably run 50/50 or worse in those situations.
    Man I hate that. There are sooooo many people who think whoa I've got an ace, I so am favorit and call someone who raised in FTA. Problem with the pokerboom these days is that people think they can play poker cuz they saw one episode of HSP or PAD

The Cool List name and product is protected under the laws of I used it first.All rights reserved

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

http://www.pokerhand.org/?4196472
    shit big figgas.

You make a living off this shit?

When you know you're beat...you'd rather call and hope to hit a 2 outer? I've gotten away from Kings a lot preflop or on the flop and I always made the right decision.

I'm not bashing your theory, you obviously know a thing or 2 about poker, but I'm not gonna call something, knowing I'm beat and relying on luck to win a hand.

can you show some hand histories of where you folded KK preflop and someone else had AA? cause tbh i dont believe it. it mightve happened once sure but...

its just not a good way to go about it.. what do you wanna do? bet and raise and reraise half your stack to THEN find out you think you are beat? this is not good at all. and by the time half your stack is in the pot and theres only a smidgen of a chance your opponent could hold QQ or AK (which there nearly always is) along with AA you have more then enough equity to stick the rest in with KK.

i mean, sure there are situations where you can fold it. say under the gun raises, under the gun+1 3bets, middle position 4bets, then the small blind cold 5bets all-in. and youre in the BB with KK.. obviously these are spots where it can be an easy muck. but in general when theres only one opponent showing strength and youre no more than 100big blinds deep.. dont fold

edit: yes ghostlaced, i do
    1st king

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    He's right folding KK preflop is the wrong move. Like Harrington says, even if you are beat, which is really rare, you still have a 19% chance to win. You should take your lumps in a situation like that.
    Maybe but saying it's wrong, I dunno... I am a tight player ( something I've been bashed for enough around here LOL ) so yeah I can see why you consider it to be wrong.

can you show some hand histories of where you folded KK preflop and someone else had AA? cause tbh i dont believe it. it mightve happened once sure but...

its just not a good way to go about it.. what do you wanna do? bet and raise and reraise half your stack to THEN find out you think you are beat? this is not good at all. and by the time half your stack is in the pot and theres only a smidgen of a chance your opponent could hold QQ or AK (which there nearly always is) along with AA you have more then enough equity to stick the rest in with KK.

i mean, sure there are situations where you can fold it. say under the gun raises, under the gun+1 3bets, middle position 4bets, then the small blind cold 5bets all-in. and youre in the BB with KK.. obviously these are spots where it can be an easy muck. but in general when theres only one opponent showing strength and youre no more than 100big blinds deep.. dont fold

edit: yes ghostlaced, i do
    Well I dunno how I can up a handhistory, I've only recently started using Pokeroffice but can't work with it LOL, and I might have exagerated when I said alot LOL, but yeah maybe 2-3 times when I had KK I managed to get away with but like I said preflop or on the flop

PS I can't wait to hear what Ol Kainry says I did wrong in that Aces vs Kings hand LOL
    see the other reason why youre a donk (other than the fact that youre a loosing player) is that you cant accept badbeats. that shit happens to everybody ! i once got my KK crushed by another KK pflop all-in the guy won wit a flush ! that kind of shit happens to everybody. in the long run your aces will be the winner, but it wont win all the god damn time !

edit: nvm the edit
    Last edited by oLd_KaiNry; 05-09-2009 at 11:49 AM.

An explanation of changing gears from someone who grinded 10 cents into $102 in three days just playing sit n gos.

There are many styles of poker play and each style has it's own usefulness in certain situations. Those that stick to the same constant pattern of play are usually dispatched of pretty easily. When pros talk about "changing gears" they are talking about a change in the level of aggression in your play, whether more or less. In a 27 person {non turbo} Sit n Go where the levels go up gradually and you have time to play, your very first objective early should be to NOT GO BROKE. The most effective way to do this, is to play the CHECK-CALL (Hellmuth) style. Some will try the shove-n-double (Brunson) style early with their AK's and AQ's, but this is incorrect, as the only hands that will call you are sure to have you beaten or dominated. Very rarely will you get called with a rag ace, and in my experience when it does happen, I lose anyway.
    So, essentially how the Hellmuth style works broken down is, you are trying to stay out of race situations and conserve as many chips as possible, while concealing your hand and reading your opponent's hand and only getting money in when you either A. Know you have the best hand or B. know you can make your opponent fold.
    Sound tough? It really isn't, especially if you can read bets well. What you want to do, is no matter the positions, check to your opponent until he leads the action, this way you get the information first, because you are giving your opponent nothing but the opportunity to represent his hand or bluff at weakness. Preflop you want to limp with a lot of the mid range hands and even monsters trying to disguise the strength of your hand. The one caveat with this play, is that you need the patience to fold those monster hands when the board doesn't work out. Personally though, I feel that aces and kings pretty much play themselves, and you should try to get as much money in as you can preflop with them.
    The first portion of the tournament should be like this, trapping your opponents for all their chips while taking minimum risk to your own stack. Close to the money with around 6-7 left you should switch to LDP (Phil Laak) Lock down poker, where unless you are a big stack, you tighten up to play only the top 5% of hands. Once you make the money, it's time to switch up again, to aggressive-continuation (Stu Unger) where you should be stealing as many blinds as possible and continuation betting flops to try to steal pots. If you're consistent with a 3X Big Blind preflop raise followed by a 3/4 pot flop bet, you will win a lot of pots. From there it's on to heads up, where the aggressor usually is the victor.

I pretty much followed this strategy to the letter, and the results have been very good.

^^^^

I was watching you play on PS tonight in one of your SNGs...one of the ones you were highest ranked in...couldnt say nothing as an observer since I have 1 cent in my PS account....(I think I placed in a freeroll 2 years ago and tried the penny tables) I guess Im sucking out in the freerolls there.

I'm playing like dogshit tonight, gimme ur username and I'll send u some cash...taking a break 4 now

Im "Prolifical" on PS.....yeah I made my account years ago.

The one I watched you placed 4th while some dude with a cactus avatar started sucking out near the end.