once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!

Thread: on moment of truth, two tracks produced by guru and 'co-produced' by Premiere?

Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

Default on moment of truth, two tracks produced by guru and 'co-produced' by Premiere?

love this album and was just listening to it today, and i was mulling over what exactly the liner notes meant by saying guru produced 'she knows what she wants' and 'make em pay', two tracks with very advanced production who to the naked ear bear unmistakably Premiere's style. it also says that premo 'co-produced' these two tracks...i wonder just how much input he had, i mean because i wouldnt think that guru is that good of a producer....
    "all your San Franciscos will eventually fall and burn again..." -Jack Kerouac-

well producing a track means making the beat, right? :S and one thing i have noticed is that Gang Starr don't credit their samples. they sampled Wu-Tang and various other rappers on numerous occasions and not once in any booklet does it say "X rappers line here" sampled from "x title of sng here" or however you credit it. why is that?
    "Read the sign hip-hoppers"

Banned

guru problee just laced out the basics and premo tweaked it to perfection
    Bushido is realised in the presence of death.
    This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death.
    There is no other reasoning.

Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

yeah somehow premiere always gets away with that...and then he had the temerity to pointedly dissuade his colleagues from accusing him of sampling without references right before 'above the clouds'.

but yeah, i thought along the same lines...premo just kind of polished it up...still, great stuff from guru. i wanted to credit premo with those gems before i looked in the booklet.

premo doesnt do that because he doesnt like people snitching on DJ's crates. back in the early days of hiphop it was a no-no to reveal the source of your samples.
    The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)

I think Guru probably found the samples used for the songs, and Premier did the rest. No way in hell Guru was cuttin or scratching, and those drums are straight DJ Premier.

Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

thats a good point

yeah i think Guru maybve suggested samples or a loop. that alcoholic aint hittin drums like premo!
    When the revolution come, you can see me on the frontline
    firing my gun, standing right beside my son
    so when he grows up, he'll understand that i stood for somethin
    when my whole life, they told me i was good for nothin... - Inspectah Deck