Thread: More important for MC; Sound of voice/Or Lyrics?

Default More important for MC; Sound of voice/Or Lyrics?

I was thinking how some MCs have really ill verses, but theyre voice is so weak (or annoying) that it doesnt matter. Like some RZA verses out of Ghostface would have Ghost fans drooling and shit. (but i like RZAs voice though but he gets hate)

Rappers I think have the best sounding voice on the MIC (off the top of my head ive not really thought about it)

- Nas
    - Cormega
    - Prodigy?
    - Ghostface
    - 2Pac
    - Snoop

but i think dope SOUNDING rappers can get away with weakness sometimes lol

Dr.GrEeEnThUmB Da Problem Child's Avatar

Best voice mc's

Jay-z
    Sheek Louch
    Pac
    Dmx(So much agression and pain)
    etc...

I don't know which one more important,cause lots of west coast cats like eazy-e,but that nigga voice sound like he just sucked helium out a balloon.I like Dmx but his lyrical skills really aint up there but his voice makes his poetry and pain songs sound hot ass fucjk.He a good ass song writer

I really don't know which one is more important dawg

lyrics, cuz i sound like rudy huxtable, but i can write a storm

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

yeah this is a problem with me, I write some good shit people tell me but when I go record i sound like shit....

Divine Cypher

Lyrics can be critiqued objectively, whereas voice cannot. Judging someone's voice is completely subjective. I think Jay-Z has the worst voice of alltime, whereas someone above said his voice is nice. So if a rapper is hated b/c his voice is wack, that's just taste and he can't take it personally. But if your lyrics are wack, u better hope your voice is ill enough to disguise it.

Voice doesn't matter if the flow/rhymes are good enough. Eminem's old shit for example, horrible voice, yet its amazing to hear. Big L's voice is lame to me, but I like his shit.

Wu Vatican

i say definatly the voice. i can deal with weaker lyrics with a better voice. but if i dont like how it sounds im not gonna want to hear what they have to say requardless of how good it may be.

immortal technique is one that comes to mind with me. i appreciate a lot of what he has to say, but i just dont really like his voice and theirfor i dont really listen to him.

but someone say like paul wall, whos lyrics are shit, id prefer listeing to him over i.t. just because i like how he sounds better.

just one example.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

student of the culture White_Mouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz
    yeah this is a problem with me, I write some good shit people tell me but when I go record i sound like shit....
    i got the same problem man. . . here's my take, if u wanna break into mainstream you NEED a good voice, they really don't care about lyrics (just look at "three six mafia")
    if u underground a good voice is nice, but people will listen to the lyrics more closely.

Now known as Defcee Definitive X's Avatar

Some voices take getting used to (i.e. Freeway; I used to hate that muthafucka, but got used to him. Still got his first album, which is pretty dope). He doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. In terms of voice, as an MC, I really wish I had either Scarface or Canibus's voice...

"Got heat for everybody/watch the microphone burn..."
    =Akrobatik

Dr.GrEeEnThUmB Da Problem Child's Avatar

Freeway voice is funny as hell cause sometimes he doesn't even ryhmes he just keep going and going and going without ryhming,but for some reason my dumb ass be feeling that shit.lmao Free aight but cass tore him a new asshole

Method Man
    U-God
    Pimpkinhead
    Rakim
    Run DMC

dope voices

Throw Ya W's Up!
    Propz To Sean For Kickin' The God A Siggy