once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!

Thread: laptop is going real slow

Default laptop is going real slow

ever since i last defragmented my system my computer has been fucked, it takes ages to load up and longer to load any program, any1 know anything that can help?

Banned

have you tried any other maintenance ?
    Bushido is realised in the presence of death.
    This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death.
    There is no other reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    ever since i last defragmented my system my computer has been fucked, it takes ages to load up and longer to load any program, any1 know anything that can help?
    Do you mean when you defrag'd then the notebook became slow, or since your last defrag the laptop had become slow?

it was straight after the defrag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonearm_Terrorwrist View Post
    have you tried any other maintenance ?
    yeah, i think i had spyware on my computer at the time though, i do spyware and virus checks and disk cleanups.

it was straight after the defrag.
    What do you mean it was "straight"?

We just want to know the exact state after you defrag and before...to have a better clue

it was good b4 and slow after.. straight after like "straight away"..

it was good b4 and slow after.. straight after like "straight away"..
    Well generally to defrag does not mean it will solve the problem, as you seem to have experienced.

Firstly,

you must ensire that only the neccesaary services are running, and those that are not required (especially at stratup) are disabled or are started manually. After the system bootup (an easy utility could be WINPATROL)

www.castlecops.com or check on www.majorgeeks.com

Check all the active tasks and verify that all is what it is suppose to be, as you do get some spywware that uses almost similar services.

Defrag actually arranges the sectors according to the usage on the disks. So sometimes the files are organized like the CDFS (which is all over thge place) but not often so the files are regrouped.

Get spybot with the current updates

On www.majorgeeks.com or the homepage

I also trust you are using the windows OS.

Spybot can be downloaded on www.safer-networking.org

they also have other utilities which can assist you determine the condition of the you registry and also alter and edit some values (be WARNED when working in that area)....

remove unrequired applications, or ones that you installed recently. Just to see how the notebook performs.

By the way what type of note is it (manufacturer and model)?

thanks, its a tosiba with xp and a intel centrino, not sure of the model number.

whats windows OS?

thanks, its a tosiba with xp and a intel centrino, not sure of the model number.

whats windows OS?

Operation System

Anyway inform us on your progress. If there is no progress still tell us then we can go into the core of your laptop. It might be the OS not communicating well with your hardware (such as conflicts with your IRQs - although it would have prompted you, or bad memory address and DMAs) sometime the instruction are incorrect or you get operands that do not calculate correctly, because the a computer makes a number numerical and /or mathmatical calculations or assumed, predictable actually anyway besides this.

Or just the defrag that did not complete properly remember to run the analysis before and after and document the effect before and after..

Best Rgds