once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gza has become dull

Default Gza has become dull

the Gza/genius is an institution of great lyrical content. unfortunately thats all he's got.

his rap presentation is horrible. the guys flow is almost non-existent and his delivery sounds like he's rhyming from bed. you have to be willing to look past these two factors to appreciate this guy.

someone can write the best book report ever but if he gets in front of people and doesnt know how to deliver it, no one is gonna be interested. they wont care how good the content is.

im not saying the guy needs to have delivery like Rza on 6 feet deep and flow like method man, he just needs to step his flow and delivery game up to a satisfactory level. some examples of him with good flow and delivery:

third world
    guillotine
    wu banga 101

Gza has always had a laid back delivery but now he sounds like he's on downers. the flow is where he really suffers though.

be nice(nevermind, this is bring the ruckus)
    The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)

everyone has a different flow

all I can tell you is if you don't like it then don't listen

I mean his flows Associated and Cameo were about as animated as you can get from Gza.

to cool.

you have to be in the right mood to listen to his stuff.

Gza has a real monotone flow like Guru, and Nas, and Masta killa.

i think his delivery was at an all time high on "Liquid Swords".

And on "Reunited" he sounded pissed off, and he murdered the track.

You have to be used to him, i know a few people that feel the same as you,.

My evidence, my own testament, written on wood
    Twelve tribes layin at the head of corners in hoods
    Hell razah

nas is hardly monotone, guru is sorta in the same boat as Gza, masta killa still has a mean flow so he's cool, though sometimes he falls asleep too.

its the flow that really bothers me though as i said, Gza was always laid back.

i'm one of the biggest Gza supporters on this site(without being a zombie dickrider) and i'm looking forward to Gza's next project. but other than liquid swords which has Rza superior soundscape and help from the generals its hard for me to go back to his other albums cuz his lack of presentation kills the replay value of his albums.
    The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)

I actually agree.

tbh I actually prefer to listen to ridiculous made up fantasy over blown Cam'ron type lyrics to GZA's boring things now, its more interesting its like watching Sopranos over Days of Our Lives

dude what's up with you mentioning Cam'ron in every post now???

as far as flow, that's not gonna be affected by age, unless the guy is developing Alzheimer's. method man and raekwon have not lost their flow and have actually improved.
    Last edited by THE W; 04-27-2007 at 08:12 PM.

I don't really find GZA boring in any way. What he might lack sometimes in charisma, I think he makes up for in just straight dope lyrics. Although, I kinda see what you're saying - I sometimes wish that he was delivering those dope lyrics with the same kind of energy he showed on say.... Damage, or some of the others songs that you mentioned. But I don't think he comes across sleepy all the time or anything, Illusory Protection sounded pretty mean, IMO.

Blasfemers

Quote Originally Posted by B O T View Post
    the Gza/genius is an institution of great lyrical content. unfortunately thats all he's got.

his rap presentation is horrible. the guys flow is almost non-existent and his delivery sounds like he's rhyming from bed. you have to be willing to look past these two factors to appreciate this guy.

someone can write the best book report ever but if he gets in front of people and doesnt know how to deliver it, no one is gonna be interested. they wont care how good the content is.

im not saying the guy needs to have delivery like Rza on 6 feet deep and flow like method man, he just needs to step his flow and delivery game up to a satisfactory level. some examples of him with good flow and delivery:

third world
    guillotine
    wu banga 101

Gza has always had a laid back delivery but now he sounds like he's on downers. the flow is where he really suffers though.

see this makes him not dull for me. in fact it makes him stand out from all the dull shit.

and his flow is decent on GM imo, it doesnt detract from the album, although some of the average beats muggs chose to use do,

PRODIGAL SUN 2L8Lit da croatianMC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B O T View Post

third world
    guillotine
    wu banga 101

i think Gza has the illest delivery in the Wu. and if u wanna see him flow like the blood on the murder scene, go check to Liquid Swords track(and the whole album). and if he became boring to you, dont listen to him...
    I C.R.E.A.M

there's no way in hell he has the illest delivery in wu. do you remember that wu has ODB, method man and ghostface? do you even know what delivery is or are you like many who cant differentiate between flow, delivery, and lyrics?

i've heard liquid swords G. he's certainly better flow-wise on that then he is now.