Page 57 of 168 FirstFirst ... 7475455565758596067107157 ... LastLast

Thread: kung fu flicks

Buddha Assassinator

Master of the Flying Guillotine is a certified classic. top notch film on all counts. if ur a big fan of that movie, i recommend checking out One-Armed Boxer..which is a prequel that came out in 73 i think (3 years before Master of the Flying Guillotine). remember that one scene in master of the flying guillotine where it goes into a flashback of Jimmy Wang Yu killing those two lamas (which turn out to be the blind man's students)? well that footage is from One Armed Boxer.

yeah, i knew there was a prequel just wasnt sure what it was called. and i searched one-armed boxer on amazon.com and couldnt find out, ill find it though, anxious to see it now

EDIT : nevermind i found it online - tell me if its the right one, heres the link - http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
    Last edited by yeahduderad; 06-28-2006 at 09:24 PM.

Buddha Assassinator

thats the one. heres a trailer for One Armed Boxer btw:

http://www.shaolinchamber.com/video_...er-trailer.wmv

enjoy

i did enjoy that, thanks yo, and ill have to order the DVD from that site whenever i get a little spending money

Quote Originally Posted by dojo_pros
    ong bak man, thats a fuckin good flick

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ol' Dirty Bastard swordplay, Dirt McGirt be pickin up skirts on 4th & Broadway, Japanese bitch be suckin my dick, Peurto Rican hoes be lickin ma split, California Mountain Snake on debate
    be givin me head, while I'm countin my cake, crushin up an 8th
    of that snow white shit, in the Pussy Wagon not hittin the brakes...

Buddha Assassinator

just watched a couple of punch and block/basher flicks last night

Hapkido aka Lady Kung Fu (1972 or 1973) stars Angela Mao Ying, Carter Wong and Sammo Hung...this flick is awesome. if u liked When Tae Kwon Do Strikes aka Sting of the Dragon Master, theres no reason y u wouldnt like Hapkido. lots of familiar faces in there, the fights, for the time, were exceptional...even in the early days, Sammo's fight choreography was still tight. good, simple plot regarding school rivalries..this one gets a 4.5 from me

Bloody Fists stars Chen Sing, Chen Kuan Tai, and Henry Yu Yung this 1972 basher directed by Ng See Yuen. the plot is solid, altho some parts of the film drag on quite a bit. the fight choreography, courtesy of the legendary Yuen Woo Ping (his 2nd official credit as fight director) is pretty good, altho hes outdone himself on other films during this period. chen kuan tai is a badass villain, but sadly doesnt get to fight until the very end. good story, and good fights (theres actually a fight which includes Yuen Woo Ping himself!!) make this a pretty good flick. i'd give it a 3.8 or maybe a 4.

i was looking in to getting hapkido one day just didnt see any reviews..so i migt go and pick it up haha

thanks

peace

return of the 18 bronzemen - 3.5/5
    the bronzemen trilogy is very disapointing
    this is better than the 2nd film, the fights are good, but the story is stupid
    the main character is not easy to like
    carter wongs a manchu who learns at shaolin
    they find out hes a emperor or sumthin and he gets kicked out
    then at the end he orders attack on shaolin!
    i never seen a film where the bad guy is centre to the film and is dislikable like that
    i need some more recomendations

Buddha Assassinator

hey wu masta killa...check out The Heroes aka Wu Tang Clan...the film is centered around Ti Lung as hes the main protagonist...AND antagonist..he plays a manchu who burns down the shaolin temple and imprisons all of the students there...really really interesting twist...which some kickass Robert Tai choreography.

i saw one of the 18 bronzemen films a long time ago, but i dont remember it very well...i remmber thinking that it was solid.

on a side note, Kung Pow licks balls IMO and is an insult to classic martial arts cinema. for whoevers interested, check out Savage Killers aka Tiger and Crane (i think thats the aka name) starring Jimmy Wang Yu and Lau Kar Wing. this is the original film which Kung Pow borrowed footage from to use in Kung Pow...its a solid film.

thundering mantis - 5/5
    this shit is dope
    everything - story, fights, even the acting and dubbing are note perfect
    elaquent has yung cha yeh made any other films of this calibre?
    i was checkin imdb and couldnt believe their reviews
    i mean this aint wack or mediocre, its classic

Buddha Assassinator

meh, i thought thundering mantis was slightly slighty above average...aside from the finale where Beardy just goes bonkers, i thought it was kinda dull and slow at times...solid fights, avg story..personally, i found Sleeping Fist more enjoyable, i'd give thundering mantis a 3.5/5

from the research ive done, the only other Yung Cha Yeh classic kung fu movie hes directed is Sleeping Fist. if u havent seen sleeping fist already, make sure u check it out, i'd give sleeping fist a 3.8 or 4

aiight
    well that mantis shit is dope imo the acting was surprisingly good, but ill admit the fights were nothing special, standard shit really but still good, but ill have to check out sleeping fist and the heroes soon
    i got warriors 2 comin in the post as well
    lookin forward to this film

Buddha Assassinator

Sleeping Fist is dope...good old Sam Seed/Yuen Siu Tien stars in it too as, surprise, surprise, a bum lol. fights are a little more creative..story and acting are essentially the same, since it stars pretty much the same cast and crew and director.

warriors two coming in? ur mos def in for a treat, that film, even tho i still believe is overrated, is still a great flick and mos def a classic. prodigal son is actually a loose prequel to this film..its sammo's first Wing Chun movie. the finale is ace, Casanova Wong is real dope. as usual, Sammo Hung himself steals the show. Leung Kar Yan's acting is ace, as he plays Leung Tsan. 4.5/5.5 for me.

Buddha Assassinator

heres a gift to all the kung fu fanatics out there

Mystery of Chessboxing clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAwVzS-jICo

dont worry, its only the opening scene...it gets MUCH better from there