once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!

View Poll Results: How many mics?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

1 4.76%

0 0%

10 47.62%

10 47.62%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Common - Like Water For Chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    this is my favorite Common album he ever did and also one of the finest Jay Dee/Dilla produced albums (he produced on everything but four joints so yeah). the chemistry between Com' and The Soulquarian's (Jay Dee, Questlove, James Poyser and D'Angelo) production team is nothing short of incredible and creates pure art in my opinion, this is what a true masterpiece sound like.

the atmosphere of "Like Water For Chocolate" flows through the whole LP with it's laid-back, chilling and non-traditional jazz n soul vibes and it's the perfect backdrop for Common to rhyme over, wheter it's a filtered sample or some live instrumentation. i'd go as far as saying that Common was at his lyrical peak on here as well, the neo-soul sounds of The Soulquarian's and move to New York probably brought that out of him, his flow and wordplay is immaculate on every verse and he ALWAYS got something to say. So many quotable lines on tracks like "The 6th Sense", "Dooinit" and "Nag Champa" that it's ridicilous and the few guest apperances are well-thought out and spread across the tracks nicely - featuring only the finest underground MC's in Slum Village, Mos Def, MC Lyte and Jay Dee and great vocalists in D'Angelo, Cee-Lo and Vinija Monica.

i liked the album from the first time i heard it, but it was mostly the instant hits like "The Light", "The Sixth Sense", "Dooinit" and "Thelonious" that had my head nodding, but as time went on i find myself totally loving everything about this LP. tracks like the 6 minute opener "Time Travellin'" and the soulful "Ghetto Heaven Pt. 2" (the original one with D'Angelo, not the weaker remix with Macy Gray that for some stupid reason got replaced with in later pressings; i'm just glad i got the OG) really grew on me.

Jay Dee was so incredible behind the boards and this album is a true testament to his genius, if i was gonna put someone on to his work with just one LP this might very well be it. you can hear the mutual respect between him and Common as they brought out the best in eachother and it's a perfect balance between the experimental and abstract hip-hop music and the traditional boom-bap. their second collaboration, "Electric Circus", was a large step further into the experimental and weird but never comes close to the brilliance of this masterpiece. Might very well be top 10 albums of the last decade.

Top 5 songs: "The Light", "Thelonoius", "The 6th Sense", "Dooinit", "Nag Champa"

Production: 5/5
    Lyrics: 4.5/5
    Rating: 9.25/10
    Great review. I've just started getting into Common and I definitely feel this album. It feels like an expansion upon, or moreso a perfection of the formula displayed on "One Day It'll All Make Sense". Great LP to sit back and vibe to or to listen religiously to. Damn good stuff.

Yeah this is an excellent album, very late night zoned out music.

I was looking at the credits for Electric Circus, I didn't realise dilla produced all of it with the soulquarians. I remember it being kind of stank but I might have to give it another listen.

Electric Circus is underrated. Common tried something different, unique and everyone starts bitching. The beats on that album are rediculous.

Nope im listening to it now and its killing my high.

What the fuck is an electric hustle flower? Gunplay mixtape back on.

-

LOL@Sosa. Your picture of Samuel Jackson looking mean makes me laugh. I can't believe i haven't heard one person say Can I Borrow A Dollar is Common's best album which it is. Can I Borrow A Dollar and Resurrection are the only albums of his i like. Like Water For Chocolate is wack and fuck Electric Circus album. I gotta admit when i first heard his Come Close song, i wasn't liking it but i think it's alright now. LOL@his gay clothes in Come Close video. The girl in the video is cute. I just saw Common last week in new straight to video movie Pawn with Forest Whitaker, Michael Chiklis, Ray Liotta and it's wack. Common plays a cop.

nada ignorante

My favorite album from Common to this day.
    N.I.