Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip Hop vs Rap

Post Hip Hop vs Rap

My first real exposure to hip hop was back around 90-92, can't remember exactly. The 1st rap song I remember hearing and liking for that matter was MC Breed, Ain't No Futre(I think)). I got a taste and from that moment on I was hooked. Growing up on the West Coast, I grew up listening to what was on the radio which was mostly Gangsta rap like Snoop, Dre,Ice Cube,Dj Quik etc etc.

One nite I was flipping stations and came across a hip hop show named, The World Famous Wake Up Show and this introduced to the real world of hip hop. It exposed to alot of east coast rap that was amazing, inclluding Wu, KRS 1, etc.
    Sway and Tech always talked about hop hop being a lifestyle and that it was made of five elements, rap, break dancig, graffitti art, Dj'ing(scratching n mixing) and freestyle?(I always forget the last one)

I am always confused as to why music companies and record stores label rappers as Hip Hop and others ass rap and even worse R&B artists as Hip Hop?

What do y'all prefer? Since I see rap as part of Hip Hop, it should be called rap but Hip Hop does sound better

hip hop is the culture
    rap is the actual rhyming

I think originally the terms were both synonymous in reference to the music. Hip-Hop, on the other hand, describes the whole culture (graffiti, b-boying, DJing, etc.) As time went on and the content of Hip-Hop began to change, an obvious fissure began to form between Hip-Hop with more violent content and Hip-Hop which was residual of the Rakim/EPMD/Conscious-era.

This is just an educated guess, but I imagine the term "Rap" gained its negative connotation from the fact that the West Coast Hip-Hop, which popularized most of the negative trends now associated with Hip-Hop as a whole, was referred to as "Gangsta Rap". As "Rap" gained a foothold in the mainstream, some fans who preferred the older or alternative forms of Hip-Hop gave it the name "Hip-Hop" retroactively, as to distinguish it from the mainstream, and to preserve the original spirit and the other associated "elements".

I don't hear this argument very often, but I find Backpackers and Old School Heads naturally refer to the genre as Hip-Hop, and Mainstream/Radio-type people and haters of the genre alike refer to it as "Rap". As for the way it's marketed, I'm not sure big business puts much stock into either name exclusively. They play the same videos on MTV Hip-Hop and Rapcity, so I think they're pretty interchangeable.
    Last edited by Tetsuo; 07-02-2007 at 07:31 AM.
    Hip-Hop's forefathers...that's right...forefathers.

Free Killa Sin!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=EedXtPhPhlI

I can't stand the term Urban..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Tality View Post
    I can't stand the term Urban..
    i was about to say the same thing, i fucking hate it being referred to as urban
    Bushido is realised in the presence of death.
    This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death.
    There is no other reasoning.

^^ Co-sign. What the hell does it even mean? I hate to say it, but artists get labelled urban just because they are black.

Banned

i used to work in a big chain of record stores here in aus called sanity, we used to put hip hop and r&b together and name it urban, i think thats why they do it, these days its rap/hip-hop and r&b is seperate ... its like black pop stars get labelled r&b, the shit isnt fucking rythym n blues its fucking pop, that annoys me too
    Bushido is realised in the presence of death.
    This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death.
    There is no other reasoning.

haha that reminds me of a chain of stores over here,who put all the r&b,hip hop and stuff in one category.....BLACK MUSIC.

Poet Of The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    hip hop is the culture
    exactly. Rhythm And Poetry, hence RAP.

haha that reminds me of a chain of stores over here,who put all the r&b,hip hop and stuff in one category.....BLACK MUSIC.
    lol....WOW

PRODIGAL SUN 2L8Lit da croatianMC's Avatar

hip hop is the culture
    Yeah, and it cant be campared...
    its like you campare Wu Tang music in general with wu fam, with Wu Tang Family...
    I C.R.E.A.M

reminds me of that Chris Rock stand up act
    "I LOOOOOOOOOVE black people! but i hate them niggas"
    suck my dick its the kid with the fat knob

Never thought about rap standing for rhythm and pietry
    then it should be R&P!

LOL, Black music!1 LMAO

Now with this Reggaeton crap it is classified as Urbana which translates to Urban
    IMO
    Urban is a key word of describing everything that is deals with poverty and anything NONWHITE. White ppl are Suburbanites right?

Poet Of The Streets

Urban refers to the city and Suburban refers to anyother area ie the country. It's not a racial thing at all.

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WuTangMaster View Post
    My first real exposure to hip hop was back around 90-92, can't remember exactly. The 1st rap song I remember hearing and liking for that matter was MC Breed, Ain't No Futre(I think)). I got a taste and from that moment on I was hooked. Growing up on the West Coast, I grew up listening to what was on the radio which was mostly Gangsta rap like Snoop, Dre,Ice Cube,Dj Quik etc etc.

One nite I was flipping stations and came across a hip hop show named, The World Famous Wake Up Show and this introduced to the real world of hip hop. It exposed to alot of east coast rap that was amazing, inclluding Wu, KRS 1, etc.
    Sway and Tech always talked about hop hop being a lifestyle and that it was made of five elements, rap, break dancig, graffitti art, Dj'ing(scratching n mixing) and freestyle?(I always forget the last one)

I am always confused as to why music companies and record stores label rappers as Hip Hop and others ass rap and even worse R&B artists as Hip Hop?

What do y'all prefer? Since I see rap as part of Hip Hop, it should be called rap but Hip Hop does sound better
    What the fuck is this retarded shit?