once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raekwon Rebuilding 'Cuban Linx' With Wu Mates

Default Raekwon Rebuilding 'Cuban Linx' With Wu Mates

Raekwon Rebuilding 'Cuban Linx' With Wu Mates
    (from billboard.com)
    By Jeff Vrabel, Jacksonville, Fla.

To commemorate the 10-year anniversary of his critically lauded breakthrough solo debut, "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx," Wu-Tang Clan founding member Raekwon is recording a sequel to the project, with an eye on a January release.

"We're the gods who made that classic," Raekwon told Billboard.com by phone from New York, where work is underway on the record. "We're coming with the same formula to create another classic."

The project is "all-new saga," according to Raekwon, and is currently going under the title "Cuban Linx Part II." It will be preceded by two singles: one solo track and one featuring an unannounced guest lineup from the Clan.

"I don't want to give you all the goods right now," Raekwon laughed. He's similarly tight-lipped about who'll appear on the album, though he revealed that Busta Rhymes, frequent co-star Ghostface Killah (whose own profile enjoyed a boost after his appearances on the original "Linx") and Wu impresario the RZA are heavily involved.

"RZA's in with the project all the way, but I wanna give a couple of other artists an opportunity to be featured as well," Raekwon said. Dr. Dre is also rumored to have already contributed two tracks.

Since the original "Cuban Linx," Raekwon has remained a steady presence on the scene via such albums as 1999's "Immobilarity" and 2003's "The Lex Diamond Story." But "Cuban Linx," he said, is a re-investigation of his acclaimed, image-heavy rhyme roots.

"We could never reinvent the same potion," he said, "but my whole thing is the storyline, the characters that play inside this film. I call it a film because I'm used to writing portraits. I'm not just a dude that writes a bunch of rhymes that have no demeanor to them."

Raekwon concedes that the pressure is on this time out, as he and Ghostface's last records, "Lex Diamond" and "The Pretty Toney Album," respectively, were critical successes. But he says his 10-plus years in the game have made him used to the situation.

"I guess that's part of our strategy," he said. "All eyes is looking, and we gotta get out there and shoot the right ducks down."

As for the immediate future of the Wu-Tang Clan in the wake of the death of Ol' Dirty Bastard, Raekwon remained characteristically evasive. "I can't comment on that right now," he said, "but I'll tell you one thing: There's is something cooking up in the kitchen. Wu-Tang is still forever. Prepare yourself."
    wuforever.com
    OVER 250 Mp3 DIRECT DOWNLOADS! superfast!
    Brand New Wu-Tang Community Portal
    3800+ photos in gallery/200+ wu wallpaper/daily news/games/quizzes/download mp3s/ jukebox/and more

Default Re: Raekwon Rebuilding 'Cuban Linx' With Wu Mates

cant wait for this shit!!!!!!!!!!

I'm quick to dumb out, run up in yo' crib with the guns out, Spray your peeps, smack the baby teeth out your son mouth, Who can stop me? -Big Pun

January 2006?..god damn

words from Raekwon "Wu-Tang is still forever. Prepare yourself."
    "although it could be said like that, flowers fall despite our attachment and weeds flourish despite our aversion." - -Dogen

Veteran Member

GOOD LOOK!

no disrespect, but what could busta contribute to a wu-tang record beside a verse or two. A producer? Producing a hiphop album and producing a Wu-tang album are two different things? the wu sound is unique and only wu heads know the true secret to that sound. it's not just music, beats,... cuban linx was more than that: right samples, right skits, impeccable sequensing, and most of all perfect chemestry.

i don't see how busta fits into all that. especially the chemistry part.

but good news tho

one

I think January 06 is early. Too bad it couldnt drop on the 10 year anny. This albums gonna be great.

"Dawnin' On A New Day..." AK Spray's Avatar

DAmn... AM I HYPED!!!!

did you guys see at the wu concert in the meadowlands during rae's segment his niggas on stage walkin around with the Only Built For Cuban Linx PT 2 posters ? LOL..

lex diamond story was a critical success?

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

shit love all rae's lps man they all ill in there own wayz nah mean
    rae is real lyricist man he ain't never sold out he just got made creative

Hopes have sky rocketed for me regarding the future of the Wu and CL2 after reading that. Thanks for that.
    Wu-Tang Forever

youngdeck01

as shitty as the wait will be, i think it will well worth it...

There's is something cooking up in the kitchen. Wu-Tang is still forever. Prepare yourself
    interesting

Quote Originally Posted by BigKing.nl
    What are you talking about? Why are you calling RZA a Zig-Zag-Zig? Stop hating, go to your Nelly board if you don't understand the true form of hiphop. 36 chambers, baby
    S-Corp Veteran

busta will be the executive producer whatever that means?!

we should talk about the album in january when it is out on the street.

this is gonna disappoint... like every Wu member, rae likes to talk up his album as "going back to that gritty original sound..." Meth said it twice, deck said it, killa said it (and was most successful) rae has said it twice already and failed, even ODB has. pretty much only RZA accepted he couldn't bring that back and did bob digi (whcih i thought was pretty good)

I'd love to be proven wrong but I might up this in january (as if it will come out then...) and see