i own alot of the classic albums in hiphop...and i honestly believe the first wave of G-Unit albums belong there, and agree with alot of people that they are classics (get rich or die tryin, hunger for more, welcome to cashville and beg for mercy)...but the G unit train is running outa steam. 50 has gone from being a monster with his hooks, but slowly he has gotten awful at writing a catchy chorus (although he is rapping pretty good these days_. the best rapper in the group, buck, has been kicked out, yayo, one of the worst rappers in hiphop is now on alot more of the songs and banks has fallen off with the new way he uses his voice and flow. This album is kinda boring, but not bad.
1. Straight outa southside. Good track, an obvious remake to the original. Vicious beat, liken it but doesnt have much replay value.
2. Piano man. I hate simple beats with a repetetive melody, this one gets annoying. Although the instruments on the hook sound good. Boring chorus, makes you wana fall asleep. Buck has the best verse
3. Close to me. Like 50's verse, hook wasnt too bad by banks. beat was ok, yayo is annoying on this
4. Rider part II. I thought this was a sick song for a mixtape, was abit confused when they announced it as a single for the album. Hook is actually pretty good, 50 picked it up abit on this. Catchy song, not as good as their older street singles from back in the day.
5. Casualties of war. 50 has the best verse, followed by yayo. The chorus is AWFUL, i skip it when it comes on. Beat sounds abit like the kingdom come song by jigga.
6. You so tough. Beat is really sick, sounds like something wutang or mobb deep would rap to. I never liked the hook, sounds too gay and feminin, damn he really lost his singing skills. 50 takes some shots at T.I. on his verse. Lyrics are getting very repetetive by all rappers at this point in the album.
7. No days off. Good song, beat is sick. Banks and 50 share the hook, they do it well on this song. i think 50 and banks take some subliminals at lil wayne (or fat joe...with the "make it rain" references...plus the "niggas on game shows and two niggas kissin"..wayne and baby diss?)
8. T.O.S. Beat is ok, hook is lame and sounds like it took 5 seconds to think of and record. Banks has the best verse on this. content is same as usual
9. I like the way she do it. This song grows on you. Beat is catchy, hook is basic but also grows on you. No way near as radio friendly when compared to 50's older singles. This is more aimed for the club, so i rate it based on that. Damn, this album coula used more young buck
10.Kitty Kat. beat is cool i guess. Hook is kinda basic, not bad though. Sounds alot like the previous song
11. The party aint over. The best song on the album IMO! Love these kinda beats, very sick. Sounds like something they woulda recorded when they were in their prime. I like this version more than the original although the hook went better with the original beat. Hook is done by 50, pretty nicely too. Yayo actually has a pretty good verse. Best line is by banks;
"i need a model-slut, that will swallow-nut...im just kiddin, unless you actually gon do it!"
Bucks verse is too short.
12. Let it go. The second best song on the album! Hook is by Mavado...sounds good. This whole song sounds very Wutangish. 50 woulda sounded good on this, so would have buck. Its only yayo and banks, they do ok. i think yayo has the better verse. beat is intense
13. get down. beat is ok...not the best. Hook is off key and lame again by 50. You can tell he spends little to no time on these anymore.
14. I dont wana talk bout it. Another braggin type song. hook by 50, not good not particularly bad.
15. Ready or not. Grimey, creepy type song, no 50 on this, just banks and yayo. Hook sounds abit annoying, banks has lost his hook singing abilities aswell. Makes his voice purposely sqweeky now, and it doesnt work. Yayo has a good verse on this, so does banks.
16. Money make the world go round. Good closer to an average album. banks verse is pretty good, sounds more monotone on this which makes him sound better.Yayo sounds good on this song, he does the two verse and hook.
conclusion. Yayo sounds alot better on this album then he did on his own album, suprised me and picked his game up. 50 has some hot verses, but the hooks on this album let it down. When compared to beg for mercy this doesnt hold a candle. Banks should go back to sounding monotone like he did about 4 years ago, cause this new flow isnt working for him. album really missed young buck even though he was on about 4 tracks. Album also lacked versatility. All the songs have the same content, no rnb singing on the hooks, no deep and meaningful songs, no story telling. no real features either. The beats were pretty good when compared to todays standards, but were still a let down. And i dont mind radio friendly singles, if done properly they can be a good break from the usual hardcore shit i listen to, but the singles on TOS were pretty basic. the whole album is no way near as good as their first group album.
final rating. 6/10