Thread: Superman Director Donner Saves Wolverine

Default Superman Director Donner Saves Wolverine

Rumors of trouble regarding the production of X-Men Origins: Wolverine have some legit foundation if Variety are to be believed.
    They sensationally claim that Richard Donner, the man who directed the first ever Summer blockbuster superhero movie with Superman in 1978 had to fly to the other side of the world to Australia to the defence of director Gavin Hood who 20th Century Fox “almost fired” from their May 2009 tentpole release.

Dickie Donner, who is the husband of producer Lauren Shuler Donner… looks to have kept Hood in a job after Fox had two backup directors ready to take over. Ironically, this is the terrible fate that happened to Donner himself which ended up being the tragic situation on Superman II where he left the project before it’s completion.
    The conflict regarding Wolverine is said to be over the tone of the film, Hood’s take on the character being much like Frank Miller’s dark and viscious version. Instead Fox, wanting to appease a wider audience initially demaned a kiddie friendly cut.
    The end result we won’t know till May but either the studio or Hood must have backed down in their demands.
    Of course this isn’t the first time we have heard of problems over Fox’s big productions in recent times. Just a few weeks ago Babylon A.D. director Mathieu Kassovitz disowned his own movie after his problems with the studio and a few years ago Alex Proyas was so pissed at them over his lack of decision making on I, Robot that he vowed never to work with them again.
    Last edited by TAURO; 09-10-2008 at 11:20 AM.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

PUTYOMONEYWHEREYOMOUTHIZ Tecknowledgist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO DA GRIM LATIN
    The conflict regarding Wolverine is said to be over the tone of the film, Hood’s take on the character being much like Frank Miller’s dark and viscious version. Instead Fox, wanting to appease a wider audience initially demaned a kiddie friendly cut.
    goddamn it, i wanted to see wolverine help old ladies across the street and deliver some peter parker one liners like "didnt your mother tell you not to, TALK TO STRANGERS?!?!" *BAM*

i loathe this kind of bullshit. i wish making good movies was top priority instead of "appeasing a wider audience". wolverine? a kiddie character? he has BLADES that rip through his SKIN for the sole purpose of disembowling evil mutants from the disease-ridden sewers!!! if you want a kiddie character, make another inspector gadget movie and shut the fuck up, BUB.

It's these types of politics that really piss me off about hollywood.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

I would think FOX would jump all over the idea of a dark and grimey Wolverine seeing as how well Dark Knight and the new set of Batman flicks are doing.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

fox don't know how to do shit right them n sony fucked up spidey and the xmen movies weren't close enough to the source material