Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killah Priest's "S" wordplay

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

Default Killah Priest's "S" wordplay

Anyone notice the way Priest plays on his "S's" during songs. He always extends words with S on the end; similar to a "hiss" sound. I've noticed he's been doing this ever since Heavy Mental, and I think he does it to add more emphasis to his words. 2Pac used to do this a lot in his earlier, more formative years with the Underground Railroad and the Live Squad. Has anyone else noticed this or am I the only one..

nah haven't really thought about it that way but i always thought Priest sounded very similair to older 2Pac on the song "Happy" from The Offering, both in his delivery and content.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Yo speakonitgod you might be right, I neva really payed any attention to it but now that you have brought it up, I've looked into it and listen to some of his post Heavy Mental tracks like "Mystic" from Welcome EP and he actually does drag the "S" a lil bit longer. Also listened to "Fall of Solomon" and you can notice it on there too.

Good find yo.

ive heard 2 killah priest songs in my whole life, and one on accident cause it thought GZA was coming on. so idk, but i didn't notice it

Street Opera at the outro vocals around 3:02

Ghetto Jezus in the intro and throughout all hooks (at the end you can even hear just the hiss without a word even being said lol... this nigga KP is sick)

in Uprising, it seems that KP actually layed down double vocals for the track. The funny thing about that is, tha only use of tha second vocal is to drag the S's on most if not all of his words ending with "s"..

I'm startin 2 think the reason he does this is to fill in the silence between bars, or just to make the song seem more "chaotic"... either way that shit sound tight

From Then Till Now: 1:00, 1:06, 1:43.... there are also dual vocals on this joint, which he uses for elaborating the S and literally breathing in the background (i aint even reachin, jus listen 2 it)

In Tai Chi the hiss sound is found throughout the song even when it ain't KP's verse lol... I wonder if 4th disciple is the one who brought this idea 2 KP, or the other way around...

Maan, I'm just finding these as I go along... I just heard another one on Fake MC's.... I'm sure there are a ton more.... just wanted to point it out so U guys can observe how he makes his darts so potent...

Cool

Masta killa use to do that alot too, i use to think it was a form of verbal attack ,like each time the S is prounounced it was liek a sword being swung creating wind,in fact im sure in sum interviewin the old days rza or one of them mentioned this..in assasination day he does it alot sounds sick!
    Last edited by blaksteez; 11-30-2008 at 08:33 AM.

300zx TT!!!

Default Go

yes, i notice this a lot, very annoying.
    ________
    SHIP SALE
    Last edited by 16th_Chamber; 05-10-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Good spot, after readin this thread I noticed it on O Emmanuel last night.

Quote Originally Posted by 16th_Chamber View Post
    yes, i notice this a lot, very annoying.
    u trippin thats a gem in itself

killah priest is a genius

pardon the ignorance, but what does the extended 's' do for his raps? is it just the chaotic behavior that speakonitgod said, or is it something else? prolly just his style.

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    nah haven't really thought about it that way but i always thought Priest sounded very similair to older 2Pac on the song "Happy" from The Offering, both in his delivery and content.
    cosign
    We do it for the people.

"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

It's to remind you of the snake.

he also does it on mind as a weapon wen razahs doing the chorus at the end of his verse

i played happy after reading taht he sounded like pac in delivery and he does sound very similar in that song

i need to go back and pump that song 'mind as a weapon'...been ages

And I'ma remain in the scene and reign supreme and go to many extremes by any means