Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mos Def Questions Jay-Z's "Greatest Rapper Alive" Title, "You're Better Than Rakim?"

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Default Mos Def Questions Jay-Z's "Greatest Rapper Alive" Title, "You're Better Than Rakim?"

Mos Def recently clarified the lyrical battle challenge he issued to Lil Wayne and Jay-Z and questioned Jigga's "Greatest Rapper Alive" title.

Speaking with radio personality Angie Martinez, Mos addressed a recent video which landed online showing him calling out various rap stars.
    (remember the thread)?

"My response was to me seeing an article where [Jay-Z] was referred to, with trade marks following it, as the 'Greatest Rapper Alive,'" Mos explained in an interview. "Now that don't have nothin' to do with me, but if you saying that, that's a trade claim...If you saying that, you saying you better than Slick Rick, whose still very alive and well? You saying you better than Rakim? You saying you better than Black Thought? People making that claim have never been in a position to defend that in an open forumn. I'm not talking about making a diss record or trying to go in on somebody's girl...When people start coming out and making claims they're gonna have to defend, like, who have you had to defend them against? It's certainly been with people not on your level." (The Angie Martinez Show)
    The footage, which appeared online in April, showed Mos with a small entourage in Detroit.
    "You really think that Jay and Weezy can beat me," Mos asked in a video. "It will never happen. None of them. Whoever. Listen, n*ggas I like, I love Freeway, but come get the money if you think you can. [Beanie Sigel], I love him....[Andre 3000] ,whatever, I'm taking the money back to Brooklyn. I'm taking the money back to Brooklyn. Jay is the best out. I'm taking the ring and I'm taking the belt right back." (World Star Hip Hop)
    Rappers such as Weezy, who also calls himself "The Greatest," have encountered negative feedback in the past for their titles including T.I.'s "King of the South" proclamation.

"Basically the origins of this ain't beef, it's filet mignon to me," T.I. said in 2004 about his issues with Lil Flip. "He poses no threat to my health. Anytime he wants to see me, I have an open invitation. When I was gone, he made some comments. He saw fit to take shots at me while I was down. At his shows in Atlanta, he would ask people who was the king of the South. When my name was brought up...rightfully so...he said, 'OK, well tell T.I. I said game over.'" (MTV)
    Mos' new album The Ecstatic was released yesterday (June 10).
    "The name of the album is The Ecstatic. I titled it after one of my favorite novels by Victor LaValle and I'm really excited about it...it's a lot shorter than some of my previous work but it's still really full. [Guests include] Slick Rick, Jay Electronica, Black Thought and working with Madlib." (Zune Insider)
    We do it for the people.

"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

este sitio es una mierda drippie k's Avatar

Mos Def ain't the best rapper alive either and i think Andre 3000 could take him easily
    cash rules. still don't nothin move but the money

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

that ecstatic album is terrific

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Canít stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... Itís never us coming with the gimmicks. Itís always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap thatís just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ĎWhy Wu-Tang?í when itís not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by ol dirty abbot View Post
    that ecstatic album is terrific
    co sign.

damn mos really called them out?
    Jay too bougie to "battle"...
    damn, mos alot more "whole hearted" in the game than i thought

Mos got it against Jay & Andre, Weezy whoever he on about, the only one i think he mentioned that could take him is Black Thought

Mos Vs Black Thought would be a a tough match up but yeah i reckon Black would take it

Jigga just a coccky cunt & so is Weezy, they both need taking down a peg or two
    "Read the sign hip-hoppers"

lol, dudes actually think a BATTLE would happen? not a chance in hell, and if it did it would be terrible, that goes for any major artist.

Album promotion.

Black Thought crushes ANY emcee out, hands down.

good comments, i could never stand jay or wayne, jay just remix raps w whatever or whoever is hot on the radio at that moment, and i can't stand his voice or verses, and wayne is just not my taste

I dont get why Rakim is still respected as the Greatest Rapper Alive. Dude hasnt dropped shit in ages and its not like nobody has ever surpassed him.

I agree with with Mos Def on a lot of his points, and I'm actually a fan of Jigga. When people debate about "greatest rappers" alive or dead, they almost always forget to mention Black Thought. Any one who has doubts about BT should see a Roots show & see a great MC at work. As for Rakim listen to his song Follow The Leader & see what the fuss is about, it will match or surpass ANY of the aforementioned rappers' best work IMO. Peace.

I dont agree with Mos Def's point. Slick Rick WAS a great rapper, but hes probably not that great these days. Not better than Jay-Z anway. The same goes for Rakim.

"Best Rapper Alive" means who is currently the best rapper, not who was the greatest or who has had the best career.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyIronman View Post

"Best Rapper Alive" means who is currently the best rapper, not who was the greatest or who has had the best career.
    Actually it does, since the title is " Greatest Rapper Alive" not best.

and Mos has a point, Slick Rick had an ill verse on Mos' new album. And Black Thought has always been killin it.

Andre 3000 can take out Mos Def????? Im not a Mos Def fan but, are you out of your 'Shroom taking fucking mind????

"Best Rapper Alive" means who is STILL BREATHING you fucking Nephnon.