once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Mos Def Questions Jay-Z's "Greatest Rapper Alive" Title, "You're Better Than Rakim?"

  1. #16
    . JerseyIronman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jeruz
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    Actually it does, since the title is " Greatest Rapper Alive" not best.

    and Mos has a point, Slick Rick had an ill verse on Mos' new album. And Black Thought has always been killin it.
    wait... whats the difference between Best and Greatest? Their synonyms.

    I take "Greatest Rapper Alive" to mean best current rapper. Rakim's has had a much greater impact in hip-hop and has had a greater career, but currently hes not the "greatest" his skills have deteriorated some what maybe, and hes old. Rap is a young mans game.




  2. #17
    Buddha Blessed YungSunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the wild things are, no tone loc.
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,678
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    ^When's the last time you actually heard from him?
    That's like saying Young MC lost his skills.

  3. #18
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    godland
    Posts
    4,561
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyIronman View Post
    I dont agree with Mos Def's point. Slick Rick WAS a great rapper, but hes probably not that great these days. Not better than Jay-Z anway. The same goes for Rakim.

    "Best Rapper Alive" means who is currently the best rapper, not who was the greatest or who has had the best career.
    you don't know what you are talking about. slick rick, probably more than any other rapper, has improved with age. until you listen to "the art of storytelling" you should stfu. he crushes all generations of rappers because he is witty, skillful with the lyrics, concepts and flow, and doesn't take himself too serious. in fact, slick rick, if you look at the guy's life, he's more gangsta than half these fakes but he never plays that card.

    [PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT HIP HOP, ITS HISTORY AND STAY TUNED: REP ME!]
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

    "Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"

  4. #19
    Veteran Member Twiztid-Wutang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Age
    34
    Posts
    938
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Mos Def is 100% RIGHT

  5. #20
    sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9,816
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    all i know is that nas is the best rapper living ...

    artists like g rap, krs one, and rakim shouldnt even be brought into discussion because to me they are above the "goat" lists ... they are the founders and should already be placed at the highest possible point ...

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speakonitgod View Post

    artists like g rap, krs one, and rakim shouldnt even be brought into discussion because to me they are above the "goat" lists ... they are the founders and should already be placed at the highest possible point ...
    exactly

    alotta of disrepecful ignorant smart dumb niggas in here

    if your cmoing out hating on Rakim for any reason your a fool.


  7. #22
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    godland
    Posts
    4,561
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    cosign the last few comments to the fullest. hip hop needs to respects its founders more. when was the last time you heard a jazz fan cut up coltrane or bird, a classic music fan shit on beethoven, or a rocker rip up the beatles?
    Da Universal Magnetic Bitch Oppressor

    "Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"

  8. #23
    Wu Vatican Rame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    9,424
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    LL also said he's the best, big deal.

    Mos Def needs to learn how to make a good album first.
    De mijne is 4x duurder!

  9. #24
    1st Degree Drunken Masta dreday99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Killa Kweens
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rama View Post
    LL also said he's the best, big deal.

    Mos Def needs to learn how to make a good album first.

    whoa you sure you wanna say that? because i know many people including me who consider "Blackstar" and "Black on both sides" classics. add to that 3 grammy nominations...yeah, you might wanna revisit that statement.
    wherever u go, whatever u do, always remember the W is forever!


  10. #25
    Wu Vatican Rame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    9,424
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Hmm.. you're right about ''Blackstar'' but I don't like his solo albums. Mostly because of the wack beats.
    De mijne is 4x duurder!

  11. #26

  12. #27
    Wu Vatican Rame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    9,424
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    ^ Bone Thugs are wack.
    De mijne is 4x duurder!

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    exactly

    alotta of disrepecful ignorant smart dumb niggas in here

    if your cmoing out hating on Rakim for any reason your a fool.
    You're a faggot for all your dumbass "Nas lost" posts.

  14. #29
    Wu Vatican
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    ny
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,323
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DUMBO View Post
    you don't know what you are talking about. slick rick, probably more than any other rapper, has improved with age. until you listen to "the art of storytelling" you should stfu. he crushes all generations of rappers because he is witty, skillful with the lyrics, concepts and flow, and doesn't take himself too serious. in fact, slick rick, if you look at the guy's life, he's more gangsta than half these fakes but he never plays that card.

    [PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT HIP HOP, ITS HISTORY AND STAY TUNED: REP ME!]

    i saw the rickester 2 weeks ago. dudes 44, and i would rather pay to see him again than almost any other rapper out.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

    People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

  15. #30
    PRODIGAL SUN theDZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    England - Muthafuckin UK!!!
    Age
    26
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BronzearmzNYC View Post
    Andre 3000 can take out Mos Def????? Im not a Mos Def fan but, are you out of your 'Shroom taking fucking mind????
    ^ i thought exactly the same thing... mos def would murder andre 3000

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •