once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: What is Critical Thinking?

  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O-Block
    Posts
    11,933
    Rep Power
    59

    Default What is Critical Thinking?

    Critical Thinking is the process of using reasoning to discern what is true, and what is false, in the phrases and "sound bytes" we hear everyday.

    Part of it involves being familiar with logic and logical fallacies - those bits of false reasoning that are used to manipulate and mislead us.

    Part involves being able to separate facts from opinions.

    Part involves being fair and open minded; not dismissing anything without examination, and not accepting anything without examination, either.

    Part of it involves asking questions, of yourself and of others, because that is how we uncover the truth, and the motivations behind the arguments.

    Part involves self-regulation; the ongoing process of making sure that you have not fallen into any of the logical fallacies or rationalizations yourself.

    Ideal critical thinkers are open minded; ready and eager to explore all ideas and all points of view, including those alien or opposed to their own.

    They are not threatened by opposing views, because they are looking for the truth; they know that if they have it already, it will stand any scrutiny. And if they don't have it, they are willing to drop the falsehoods they have, and embrace it.

    Critical thinkers question everything; using their tools to ferret out the truth, wherever it may hide.

    The tools they use are Logic, Research, and Experience.

    Critical thinking can not only make you manipulation proof, it can open new vistas for you, as things previously hidden become clear.

  2. #2
    The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Double Barreled Snot Gun
    Age
    4
    Posts
    15,094
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    nice

  3. #3
    padre padrino Luza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    good post. many things you said are important.
    it is also important that you use these skills for the research you are doing. you should who wrote it, as his background can reveal in what way he is influenced.

    for example, if an american from 1950 writes something about the USSR, you should be more critical towards his writing as he was obviously affected by the cold war.
    Wer bin ich? Torch, der Täter, der Träumetöter
    der Zungenbrecher, der Rächer, der Nachrichtensprecher
    der Spielverderber, der Wachrüttler, der schreiende Wecker
    Sündenbock, Legende in Leder und Lieblingsrapper
    bin der Besserwisser, Rappatriot, der ewige Aufklärer
    der Klugscheisser, der Märchenerzähler
    Wer ich bin? - der Ruhestörer, Schmierer, Porno-Star
    der Technics-Start-Tasten-Drücker ist wieder da

  4. #4
    Balls Deep food for thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR
    Posts
    18,332
    Rep Power
    118

    Default

    dope.

    thanks.
    We do it for the people.





  5. #5
    healthy merking LHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,792
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    critical thinking only became necessary when the lie was invented

    before then - the only thinking we had to do was general problem solving - how to maximize our efficiency and survive on the planet(s) we were living on

    now - you can only use the words of others as suggestions

    anything presented to you as 'fact' is actually nothing more than something that is 'suggestive of a possible fact'



    we have abused the privilege of imagination - it is worse than a nuclear weapon that has been placed into the hands of a infant


    the day it became ok to pass imagination off as fact was a dark day
    your mother's dick

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O-Block
    Posts
    11,933
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LHX View Post
    critical thinking only became necessary when the lie was invented...

    I disagree.

    Critical thinking is used for not only to analyze peoples' statements. It is also used to understand what the senses receive.

    Before lies, man still needed to have an understanding of things he's seen, felt, and heard, and critical thinking plays a vital role in that.

  7. #7
    healthy merking LHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,792
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by x-unknown View Post
    I disagree.

    Critical thinking is used for not only to analyze peoples' statements. It is also used to understand what the senses receive.

    Before lies, man still needed to have an understanding of things he's seen, felt, and heard, and critical thinking plays a vital role in that.


    not according to your own original post:

    Quote Originally Posted by x-unknown View Post
    "Critical Thinking is the process of using reasoning to discern what is true, and what is false, in the phrases and "sound bytes" we hear everyday."
    besides - what critical thinking do you need for your own direct observation and experience?
    your mother's dick

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O-Block
    Posts
    11,933
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LHX View Post
    not according to your own original post:



    besides - what critical thinking do you need for your own direct observation and experience?
    Before I've posted that statement, I've reread my initial post and what I was referring to was the part near the end that had the statement "Critical thinkers question everything; using their tools to ferret out the truth, wherever it may hide...The tools they use are Logic, Research, and Experience."

    Yes, critical thinking could be applied to peoples' statements. It could also be applied to other things.



    What critical thinking do I need for observation and experience? Well, let's say, one sees something out of the ordinary happen. It goes against what they've previously known should happen. Critical thinking could separate some of the falsehoods from the truth.

    Or if you've misplaced something and you're trying to figure out where you've put it, critical thinking could help with this too.

    Or if you are lost in the woods...you wanna decide whether or not you should drink that lake water. If you are near some factory, or if the water is stagnant and not moving, it may not be a good idea to drink it just because it looks clean.

  9. #9
    DeeBlock
    Guest

    Default

    I like these kinda threads.

  10. #10
    Prince Rai
    Guest

    Default

    Good thread. Critical thinking to me is the ability to reach your own conclusions and opinions using rationality and independence.

  11. #11
    Forever Upward SG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Book: The Opposable Mind

    The term "Intergrative thinking": the ability to consider conflicting ideas and synthesize the best features of both, even if they are diametrically opposed

    Whats the value of the intergratve thinking? Intergrative thinking is at the heart of generating alternative hypotheses and scenarios, a critical success factor for solving complex problems.

    While conventional problems do not require intergrative thinking, those that do require it when the solution is not yet imagined or when we are faced with either/or decisions.

    Whats the difference between intergrative and conventional thinking? Intergrative thinkers delve into unstated but deeply held assumptions, not just relying on stated needs which are the mark of a conventional thinker.

    Intergrative thinkers see multidirectional and nonlinear casual relationships instead of a simple, linear view of the conventional thinker. The intergrative thinker is able to keep the enitre problem firmly in their mind while working individual parts and considers all dependencies before designing a solution.

    The conventional thinker operates on pieces of the problem without considering the whole. Finally, intergrative thinkers always search for a creative resolution to tensions and accepts trade-offs, while the conventional thinker readily accepts an unattractive trade off to avoid tension instead of creating a new solution.
    BEZ
    Peace To New York

  12. #12
    Gen Chat Bully Uncle Steezo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    5th Dimension
    Posts
    14,743
    Rep Power
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post

    What critical thinking do I need for observation and experience? Well, let's say, one sees something out of the ordinary happen. It goes against what they've previously known should happen. Critical thinking could separate some of the falsehoods from the truth.
    if you observe something out of the ordinary...
    the truth is that you you saw ______ happen. there is no falsehood.
    any conclusion that you draw from your observation is like LHX put it "a suggestion of possibility"


    Or if you've misplaced something and you're trying to figure out where you've put it, critical thinking could help with this too.

    a good memory would be more effective. finding a misplaced object doesn't require you to separate truth from lie.




    Or if you are lost in the woods...you wanna decide whether or not you should drink that lake water. If you are near some factory, or if the water is stagnant and not moving, it may not be a good idea to drink it just because it looks clean.

    does it smell clean? taste clean? are there fish and birds in it? what about the vegetation surrounding the lake?
    sight isn't the only observational tool.


    these are not examples of critical thinking.



    i agree that being able to sift thru life and find truth is important.
    but once you identify the lie, little critical thinking is required.

  13. #13
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O-Block
    Posts
    11,933
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Crow ESQ View Post

    these are not examples of critical thinking.



    i agree that being able to sift thru life and find truth is important.
    but once you identify the lie, little critical thinking is required.


    Quote Originally Posted by James Crow ESQ View Post
    if you observe something out of the ordinary...
    the truth is that you you saw ______ happen. there is no falsehood.
    any conclusion that you draw from your observation is like LHX put it "a suggestion of possibility"
    When I wrote that example, I had 9-11 in mind. Seeing two buildings 'collapse' like they were demolished after planes hit them is something out of the ordinary. The news media gave us one version, but others gave us another. Using critical thinking to separate facts from bs could help us reach the truth or at least discover the lie. Am I wrong?


    Quote Originally Posted by James Crow ESQ View Post
    a good memory would be more effective. finding a misplaced object doesn't require you to separate truth from lie.
    ok.


    Quote Originally Posted by James Crow ESQ View Post
    does it smell clean? taste clean? are there fish and birds in it? what about the vegetation surrounding the lake?
    sight isn't the only observational tool.
    ok.

    Could you give me some examples of critical thinking?

  14. #14
    Gen Chat Bully Uncle Steezo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    5th Dimension
    Posts
    14,743
    Rep Power
    122

    Default

    yeah 9/11 is a good example.

    i assume you avoided saying it for "tinfoil hat" responses.

    but when you saw the buildings come down, didn't your mind tell you the truth from the beginning? you didn't need critical thought until the lie was told to you.

    you know how demolition looks because you seen it before.
    it wasn't out of the ordinary. they told us it was out of the ordinary.
    you seen a building collapse from fire before. you know that wtc did not look like that when it fell.


    the lies had to be sifted thru to get to the truth, truth that you knew from the beginning.


    my 3rd eye is so open right now that when i read or watch the news.
    i see right thru the lies and read between the lines without having to think about it. like the glasses in "they live".


    i don't need critical thinking unless its about a topic i have no experience in.
    then i have to use other experiences to try and find an applicable lesson.

    this goes back to what i was saying about experience and life. try everything do everything. thats the only way to find truth in a world full of illusion.
    you got people on here talkin bout shit they have never seen or done.
    claiming to be an expert cause of a book.

    how did the author get it? either experience or even worse he referenced another author. so its 2nd or 3rd hand info that has been filtered 2 or 3 times.



    so back to the topic.
    critical thinking is a way to separate lie from truth. but your senses plus intuition(experience) show you the truth.
    Last edited by Uncle Steezo; 08-11-2009 at 03:54 AM.

  15. #15
    Gen Chat Bully Uncle Steezo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    5th Dimension
    Posts
    14,743
    Rep Power
    122

    Default

    to answer ur question...
    figuring out a magic trick would be a good time for critical thinking.
    magic tricks aim to fool the senses.

    but... if you are observing carefully you can see the trick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •