Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How We Want To Be Perceived

  1. #1
    The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Double Barreled Snot Gun
    Age
    4
    Posts
    15,093
    Rep Power
    75

    Default How We Want To Be Perceived

    Do we want to be perceived and received by people as being righteous, good, knowledgeable, etc....

    does this want get in the way of us achieving our full potential ?


    why do we study and work our mind out ?

    so people can say "ohhh look at his mental muscles" ?

    most of us will say "no, thats not what i do it for"

    but how much thought have we really given it ?

  2. #2
    ...born of a future war Face of the Golden Falcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Within the ALL...
    Age
    33
    Posts
    758
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    ...this is something I give a lot of thought. It's very easy to be satisfied with sounding wise instead of living wise. People are easily impressed and a few big words will have them thinking your a sage. Its important to make sure we're not just trying to impress people but also to make an impression on people. This is a battle I'm constantly fighting within.

    SHEM HETEP

    Req Em Ab



  3. #3
    God's Replica Mumm Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Black Pyramid
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,269
    Rep Power
    92

    Default

    how one wants to be perceived doesn't always equate with how they are perceived - it's not something you have complete control of
    honestly I don't give much thought to how I am perceived - because of that, and because I don't seek acknowledgment of my mental work.
    if anything I would say I try to be perceived as a loving person - and I am - and that doesn't require any sort of smart talk, or talk at all.
    but behind that I do my studying and mental work for the sake of being the best I that I can be.
    matter of fact I naturally avoid making myself look like a "sage" - in a sort of ODB type way. Nearly every other day I get asked "what the hell is wrong with you?" or "where the hell did you come from??" lol. I usually say A LOT or I dunno or something random.
    but the same people who say that are the same that know me well, and always tell me I'm very intelligent.


  4. #4
    Griselda Dinner Plates Charles Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over There
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    When I was younger I based a lot of my identity on my academics. I was always considered one of the smarter people in my classes and I suppose I took a bit of pride in that. However, sometime around 7th or 8th grade I slowly learned the lesson that no matter how much I knew, there were always going to be many other people just as smart or even more so. It was a tough lesson for me to learn at the time, but it humbled me which was very good. It also helped me to understand that you can learn something from everyone.

    With all that being said, this had an effect on me in high school and college. Academics didn't motivate me anymore and I was all about trying to "fit in" and find my place in this world. I found myself interacting with many different types of people and groups. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was just trying to cling on to something where I felt accepted. I also didn't realize that my personality often changed based on who I was interacting with. Because of this, I pretty much fell out of contact with just about everyone that I was cool with during this time. I still had a lot of learning to do about myself and those associations just kind of fizzled out.

    Once I entered the "real world" and started working, I found myself surrounded by co-workers who were mostly older than me. For some reason, I regressed back into young mode, because I wanted all of them to know how smart I was. Whether it be giving a speech or typing up a report, I needed that validation for some reason.

    Fast forward to 2007 and my life hits a ton of bumps in the road. After falling on my ass I had to really put things in perspective. Once I realized that most of my decisions in life were based on how I wanted others to perceive me, it really changed me for the better. For the first time in my life I started doing things because I wanted to do it. Studying subjects that I had a true interest in. When you worry too much about how others perceive you, all it does is stunt your mental and personal growth. Respect others ideas and options, but make sure you're living for yourself.
    "Return to earth as a person, only to see you mouse niggas running from the serpent" - Jus Allah



  5. #5
    Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Shadowland
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,517
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    I distort perception with my mutant abilities.

  6. #6
    HANIF Urban_Journalz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Inner Realms of Outer Space
    Posts
    2,094
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS View Post
    Do we want to be perceived and received by people as being righteous, good, knowledgeable, etc....

    does this want get in the way of us achieving our full potential ?


    why do we study and work our mind out ?

    so people can say "ohhh look at his mental muscles" ?

    most of us will say "no, thats not what i do it for"

    but how much thought have we really given it ?
    Most of us do want to be seen a certain way by other people. It's usually a great part of why people do the things they do. However, being concerned with how society views you is weak and should be avoided at all costs. Popularity usually leads to the division of the self. This, however, seems to be the norm.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

  7. #7
    The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Double Barreled Snot Gun
    Age
    4
    Posts
    15,093
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Journalz View Post
    being concerned with how society views you is weak and should be avoided at all costs.
    how people view you isn't important ?

    people want love and attention but are mostly too proud to admit it

    people want to be accepted by their peers

    it shouldn't make you or break you

    but for some it does make them or break them - especially when they are at a delicate age -

    people who are on a true path to knowing ones self, they also study how others view them - they listen to what people say about them - this also helps the student to become more considerate in their dealings with others - being concerned about others and not just yourself is the strong students way - treating them with respect and concern no matter how they may chose to see you is the soldiers way - but being nice doesn't always work and sometimes spanking have to be issued - thats life - and sometimes death

  8. #8
    HANIF Urban_Journalz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Inner Realms of Outer Space
    Posts
    2,094
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS View Post
    how people view you isn't important ?

    people want love and attention but are mostly too proud to admit it

    people want to be accepted by their peers

    it shouldn't make you or break you

    but for some it does make them or break them - especially when they are at a delicate age -

    people who are on a true path to knowing ones self, they also study how others view them - they listen to what people say about them - this also helps the student to become more considerate in their dealings with others - being concerned about others and not just yourself is the strong students way - treating them with respect and concern no matter how they may chose to see you is the soldiers way - but being nice doesn't always work and sometimes spanking have to be issued - thats life - and sometimes death
    No, it's not important. Not when it comes to everyone. There are certain people who do matter in the aspect, but people usually want to be seen in the eyes of all mankind in general, not the people that truly matter. They're usually overlooked unless it's life or death on the line.

    The peers are what's important. Are the peers worth your striving? Or are they a hindrance to who and what you truly are?

    It shouldn't make or break us, it should help or not help us. Too much emphasis is put on it, true indeed. I feel that all of us are at a delicate age, because I do believe that people are able to live into the hundreds. So, we're all babies really.

    The last paragraph is a definite co-sign. About what you said about seeing how others view you and being considerate is true, all too often though, people try to shape you how they would like you to be, as opposed to how you should be. Strength should be checked from time to time, but and soldier knows that returning fire is also just as essential.

    Timing I believe is also key in the Grand Scheme.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

  9. #9
    The Tin Man food for thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR
    Posts
    18,186
    Rep Power
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Barry View Post
    When I was younger I based a lot of my identity on my academics. I was always considered one of the smarter people in my classes and I suppose I took a bit of pride in that. However, sometime around 7th or 8th grade I slowly learned the lesson that no matter how much I knew, there were always going to be many other people just as smart or even more so. It was a tough lesson for me to learn at the time, but it humbled me which was very good. It also helped me to understand that you can learn something from everyone.

    With all that being said, this had an effect on me in high school and college. Academics didn't motivate me anymore and I was all about trying to "fit in" and find my place in this world. I found myself interacting with many different types of people and groups. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was just trying to cling on to something where I felt accepted. I also didn't realize that my personality often changed based on who I was interacting with. Because of this, I pretty much fell out of contact with just about everyone that I was cool with during this time. I still had a lot of learning to do about myself and those associations just kind of fizzled out.

    Once I entered the "real world" and started working, I found myself surrounded by co-workers who were mostly older than me. For some reason, I regressed back into young mode, because I wanted all of them to know how smart I was. Whether it be giving a speech or typing up a report, I needed that validation for some reason.

    Fast forward to 2007 and my life hits a ton of bumps in the road. After falling on my ass I had to really put things in perspective. Once I realized that most of my decisions in life were based on how I wanted others to perceive me, it really changed me for the better. For the first time in my life I started doing things because I wanted to do it. Studying subjects that I had a true interest in. When you worry too much about how others perceive you, all it does is stunt your mental and personal growth. Respect others ideas and options, but make sure you're living for yourself.

    thanks for sharing.
    We do it for the people.


    "In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"


  10. #10
    Forever Upward SG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS View Post
    Do we want to be perceived and received by people as being righteous, good, knowledgeable, etc....

    does this want get in the way of us achieving our full potential ?

    No, not for some. if that person is committed to their work it can determine their occupation or peace under their own flag
    BEZ
    Peace To New York

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •