once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: souljaboy and wayne are more hip hop than you.

and does making some songs, tagging a wall, breaking, djing a party...whatever...does doing these things automatically make you 'hip hop' regardless of a lack of skill or talent? is macho man hip hop since he came out with a rap album? is samantha ronson hip hop? you see what i'm getting at?

this thread is built on a foundation of swiss cheese

how do you live hip hop?
    how is soulja boy living hip hop more than somebody who buys the albums and lives a generic working class existence?

and please answer this:
    gucci mane is hip hop but his music sucks...so i'm supposed to give a shit that he's hip hop? that gives him a pass to make inane garbage music?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    here's the thing:
    i know i'm not hip hop
    i don't want to be hip hop
    i don't care about being being hip hop
    and his music is garbage.

quantify or qualify "being hip hop"
    it's completely irrelevant to any discussion of a song or album's artistic merit or even simple enjoyability.

gucci mane is hip hop but his music sucks...so i'm supposed to give a shit that he's hip hop? that gives him a pass to make inane garbage music? this is stupid.
    look at the title of my thread....
    then look at where you took the discussion....

you could have posted this and been done

i know i'm not hip hop
    i don't want to be hip hop
    i don't care about being being hip hop
    come on pan...effective communication.

Quote Originally Posted by James Crow ESQ View Post
    an "outsider" has nothing to contribute. they are just on the outside.
    I already refuted this: an outsider can bring a fresh perspective unencumbered with the biases that being entrenched in a culture can give you. If you were to suddenly be thrust into the machine of government, you could probably come up with questions and solutions that people who are part of the washington political culture have never thought of...because they have been stuck in the same culture for so long and not exposed to new ideas that they have grown stagnant.

look at the title of my thread....
    then look at where you took the discussion....

you could have posted this and been done

come on pan...effective communication.
    uh...the intial post in the thread already took it into the realm of "you have to be hip hop to criticize it", so i didn't take it anywhere that it wasn't already meant to go...don't act like the title of the thread was the sole topic of discussion now.

and don't be condescending man...you're taking it into the realm of insults and snark which is itself the death of effective communication.

James Crow, every hip hop fan either raps or makes between the sheets sampled songs on fruity loops 8.
    Lol.

this thread is about being hip hop.
    you said you don't want to be hip hop.

^^^no, the thread was about "you can't criticize these wack assholes if you're not hip hop (participating in the 'culture' of hip hop in some way)"

but since your arguments have no traction you want to change the ballgame.
    i see it's useless having a debate with you, you have ignored the majority of the questions i've asked which poke holes in your argument.

John W. Henry

no transformers2 is not a culture. hip hop is.

blockbuster movies are a culture.
    soulja boy is not.

snap.

no transformers2 is not a culture. hip hop is.

yes i'm saying you have to participate in hip hop to criticize it. this protects the culture from losing its identity.

and it goes deeper than
    mc
    dj
    bboy
    artist

but thats a start.
    i kinda agree but not completely... i will make my comments about the Houri but can i make honest arguments against the Muslims or NOI or whomevers belief that is? i know nothing of them but from some of the bizarre beliefs i've heard, why should i take time out of my day to understand them? i'm a catholic so i've got enough on my plate already lol... i honestly believe if i took time to read the Qur'an front to back i wouldn't find the beliefs any less outlandish but that's not my place to believe them.

i do live a hip-hop lifestyle. though i don't DJ (unless we can consider Windows Media Center a new age turn table....no?) but i been doin me in hip-hop.... i can also say Wayne is NOT hip-hop... he is another rapper who raps and styles himself in some new pseudo rock emo/hood garbage of an image. And don't say hip hop is what you make it cause thats just inane. at one point yeah it kinda is (like what P was sayin in the pac/lupe thread) but you cant have some long ass curly jew hair & wear platforms w/rhinestone belts but cause 90% of your cd/mp3 catalog is hip hop, your hip hop.

As for Solja Boy... i'm on the fence. on one side he does have some hip-hop qualities... on another i see him promoting his ringtones more than his album. He is basically some naive kid that is marketable and grew up on 50. it's one thing when niggas did the Harlem shake or whatever but when people start exploiting that it becomes a shame.

also... if i were to say solja boy is very much hip hop, that shouldn't mean much... just cause one is hip hop don't mean they make "Kwelity" music... they can still suck as they both do... along with drake.

if:
    you only consume hip hop and don't live the hip hop culture.

what about YOU is hip hop?

wayne and tellem' rap
    do you?

can you dance?
    are you a dj?
    are you a graf artist?

if the answer is "no" kindly shut the fuck up about jeezy, gucci, wayne, soulja boy or anyone else cause you are not hip hop...they are.
    I get where you are coming from, but if i you look at it like that then no one can criticize anyone for anything.....

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Crow ESQ
    the most "non hip hop" rapper is more hip hop than the person who has the biggest underground backpack rap collection and can spit every Talib verse backward.
    lol you're gonna hurt some european feelings in here

"then no one can criticize anything"
    exactly
    it's the logic of a little kid that doesn't like his favorite rapper being picked on

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    t into the realm of insults and snark which is itself the death of effective communication.
    you said this is stupid.

you see how the discussion was derailed?

this theread is about who is and isn't hip hop.
    not about criticizing music.

read my 1st post and the thread title.