Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Lyrical Ability In Hip-Hop?

  1. #1

    Default Lyrical Ability In Hip-Hop?

    Inspired by the 2pac vs. Lupe thread.

    What constitutes lyricism or lyrical ability?

    How important is this in being a good mc?

    How important is this to making good songs?

    Lyrically, what constitutes a good hip-hop song?

    Discuss.

  2. #2
    sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9,816
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    to me personally, when i think of lyricism i don't think of the most complicated complex rhymes in the universe, i think about the artists ability to connect to the listener, regardless of how extensive the said artists' vocabulary is ... for this reason i put 2pac above lupe fiasco and any other rapper to ever touch a microphone

  3. #3

    Default

    2pac was lyrically a far superior to Lupe.
    Its completely insulting to even think otherwise.
    2pac spoke about real shit. Not paris and tokyo.

    2pac was bigger than rap. Lupe will never be.


  4. #4

    Default

    ^^^the wu pancake is dope

    but i didn't make this thread to be lupe v. 2pac round numero dos

    this is more about what people mean when they say 'lyrical', how important that it to an mc, to a song, etc.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    2pac was lyrically a far superior to Lupe.
    Its completely insulting to even think otherwise.
    2pac spoke about real shit. Not paris and tokyo.

    2pac was bigger than rap. Lupe will never be.
    its hard to take ur comment seriously when u dont even understand lupes shit

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speakonitgod View Post
    to me personally, when i think of lyricism i don't think of the most complicated complex rhymes in the universe, i think about the artists ability to connect to the listener, regardless of how extensive the said artists' vocabulary is ... for this reason i put 2pac above lupe fiasco and any other rapper to ever touch a microphone

    Damn, you hit it right on the nail.

    All I could add to that is the artist's ability to paint pictures in your mind, or make you reminisce on something, or just get you hype from a single verse or rhyme pattern

  7. #7
    Irondan 2: Curly's Gold Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United Fucking States of America, Pussy
    Age
    35
    Posts
    7,950
    Rep Power
    66

    Default

    I think there are different components of lyricism.

    Lyricism can be good because it includes extensive vocabulary or intricate rhymeschemes, but it can also be simple, effective, and poignant.

    I also think that some catchy, mindless songs still contain "good" lyracism in that they draw in their target audience.

    I think Eminem is a great lyracist and a technically skilled artist, possibly one of the GOAT. That being said, I am not much of a fan of his music. I like some songs, but for how much I respect his skill, I don't enjo him that much.

    C-Loc wasn't a great lyracist, but I still think his shit is dope.

    And I think Lupe is kind of a tool
    --youreallfags.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tectrus Moa View Post
    I'm sorry? Negro English? I think you mean Ebonics.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Age
    13
    Posts
    15,663
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    STYLE used a good example in the other thread in So Many Tears which was better than anything Lupe or Canibus ever did because as a listener you can connect to the lyrics and paint a vivid picture in your mind about the re-telling of 2Pac's feelings - a song with actual substance and meaning as opposed to a bunch of fancy words sprung together sounding good because they flowed + rhymed and people like The Grandmaster still can't conjure up actual reasons instead resort to garbage like "You don't understand Lupe."
    Bushido is realised in the presence of death.
    This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death.
    There is no other reasoning.

  9. #9

    Default

    2Pac laid out visuals but Lupe dosnt. LYRICALLY i just mean LYRICS like metaphors and vocab Pac and Lupe are very very good. Its just how they pull you in and lay out the pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by YungSunny View Post
    Warcloud is nerdier than the nerdcore.
    Do you understand?
    His rhyming is like reading fuckin....roman mythology on acid or some shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialist][Revolt View Post
    Gucci Mane: Scholar, philosopher, sociologist, psychologist, musician, playwright, cosmonaut

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Energy Turtle View Post
    STYLE used a good example in the other thread in So Many Tears which was better than anything Lupe or Canibus ever did because as a listener you can connect to the lyrics and paint a vivid picture in your mind about the re-telling of 2Pac's feelings - a song with actual substance and meaning as opposed to a bunch of fancy words sprung together sounding good because they flowed + rhymed and people like The Grandmaster still can't conjure up actual reasons instead resort to garbage like "You don't understand Lupe."
    i wasnt argumenting boy, i was just poiting out the guys ignorance.

    watch ur fucking mouth.

  11. #11
    frieza saga oDoUoSoKo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    CCCGTEHQ
    Posts
    18,472
    Rep Power
    74

    Default



    swear to god 2pac misses his dick...give it back you guys.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Age
    13
    Posts
    15,663
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    LOL Dusk you stay losing in this battle so you resort to referring to people as dick riders and letting other people inform their opinions for them all the while still not presenting one shred of credibile evidence as to prove your pount.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Grandmaster View Post
    i wasnt argumenting boy, i was just poiting out the guys ignorance.

    watch ur fucking mouth.
    You got run down in your own thread with your tail between your legs.
    Bushido is realised in the presence of death.
    This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death.
    There is no other reasoning.

  13. #13
    sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9,816
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusk


  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    Inspired by the 2pac vs. Lupe thread.

    What constitutes lyricism or lyrical ability?
    poetic strength. everyone can tell when you're trying too hard, especially when it comes to writing. a good lyricist knows why he's using those words. the best lyricists put words together the best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    How important is this in being a good mc?
    very important, when kool moe dee lyrically destroyed busy bee, lyricism became a focal point in Hip Hop, and nothing has challenged lyricism's strength in the art form since then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    How important is this to making good songs?
    that depends, some people only like songs with good lyrics, for other people there's countless reasons they like certain music. so i'll say for me, it's very important. but if you don't care about strong lyricism i don't care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    Lyrically, what constitutes a good hip-hop song?
    most of the time you find its wit or being able to be clever.

  15. #15
    frieza saga oDoUoSoKo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    CCCGTEHQ
    Posts
    18,472
    Rep Power
    74

    Default

    honestly this thread was a waste of time....because i stay losing battles...the point was pretty much that Lupe cant make songs about touching topics..i post one...and it isnt credible...lmao...it doesnt fuckin matter if u like the song or not, and posting another pac song as a response is borderline down syndrome...my point is made.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •