once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Jarmusch

Default Jim Jarmusch

anybody like this guys work? ill admit to only having seen most of Coffee and Ciggs, and Ghost Dog..but i really like the stuff from Coffee and Ciggs...and im gonna check out Dead Man..what do u guys think?

Banned

Great movie accompanied by great music. More people need to check the film out

Bushido is realised in the presence of death.
    This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death.
    There is no other reasoning.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

he makes special movies, like Wes Anderson

...i'd say Coffee & Cigarretes is his best movie
    bring back begongo!!

its funny that i havent seen more of his stuff considering hes friends with (and often works with) Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, and Neil Young...artists i love...im getting right on it...starting with Dead man.

i like his work that i've seen (Dead man, stranger than paradise, mystery train, ghost dog, coffee and cigarettes)...even though his pacing is...idiosyncratic...it takes some getting used to imo. I need to see more of his work i think...i need to see broken flowers and doesn't he have a new movie coming out?

what the hell is this from lol

dead man has one of the most tense starts to a movie ever imo...it's almost ten minutes where you're wondering when the fuck anything is going to happen lol i tried watching it with some friends over but it revealed to me that they're idiots with no taste in films lol it's a good film though, his stuff is more contemplative and cerebral than a visceral entertainment experience imo.

yeah i liked ghost dog and ima def check out dead man now ive heard of it. it was cool when rza came to glasgow for a special showing of ghost dog before his gig (he took questions,done signings etc)...

any of you seen 'broken flowers' or 'the limits of control' cos i might dl them if ya'll think they're worth the watch?

Importer/Exporter/Prophet Artsdradamus's Avatar

i own ghostdog, coffee and cigarettes, dead man and broken flowers. dead man is great. broken flowers was a great concept, but could have been better. best part about broken flowers is when that chick (eric's new girlfriend from entourage) gets naked.

Wu fanatic from Brooklyn jaupoon's Avatar

Default What chu talkin 'bout Wera?

Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    he makes special movies, like Wes Anderson

...i'd say Coffee & Cigarretes is his best movie
    Have you seen the rest of Jim Jarmuschs films? I dont know how you could think Coffee and Cigs is his best film. The majority of people think its one of his worst. Personally i dont think its his worst, its probably my fifth favorite, but Dead Man and Down By Law are FAR FAR better films. And im a Wu Tang fanatic and LOVED seeing RZA and GZA in the film but if you havent seen his other films (all of his films from 1995 and before) you have to see them.

so 'the limits of control' is already out?
    is it on dvd yet?

broken flowers has bill murray so it's at the very least watchable lol

The limits of control was released in theaters but its not on DVD yet. And as for Broken Flowers yeah its watchable but its nowehere near as good as Jarmuschs other flicks.

Coffee and Cigarettes is wildly overrated to me, but whatever.

Three or four good scenes.

Limits of Control got some pretty bad reviews, but it appeals to me.

Probably check it out once it arrives on DVD

^^^i agree on coffee and cigarettes, but i'm not wild about vignette-based films anyway

what is limits of control about? cast? yes i know i'm online but i'm lazy and would rather get the insights of wucorpians

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Bateman View Post
    Coffee and Cigarettes is wildly overrated to me, but whatever.

Three or four good scenes.

Limits of Control got some pretty bad reviews, but it appeals to me.

Probably check it out once it arrives on DVD
    I agree with u 100% dude. Coffee and cigarettes is overrated. And yeah, it does have a couple cool scenes but half of the scenes suck. The RZA and GZA joint "delirium" is great though!

Jim Jarmusch is much better than Coffee and Cigarettes.

His good flicks:
    Ghost Dog: Way Of The Samurai
    Down By Law
    Dead Man
    Night On Earth

As far as Stranger Than Paradise goes, I like it but a lot of people have short attention spans and find it boring but in reality its one of the most important independent films of the 1980s. But i can see why some people find it boring. As far as the 4 flicks i listed above, theyre great.