Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 111

Thread: Galapagos Log

  1. #1
    1% Robert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Invisible College
    Posts
    7,371
    Rep Power
    56

    Default Galapagos Log

    As some of you may know (now that I think about it, hardly any of you know shit about this), I'm heading to the Galapagos Islands for 6 + months (after a short stop in Quito, Ecuador to sort out a visa).

    I'll be doing marine based research as a volunteer for the Charles Darwin Foundation (www.darwinfoundation.org).

    I figured (perhaps incorrectly), that it might be interesting to keep a record of the stuff I'm doing and the things I see over there on Wucorp.

    I'm not sure how regularly I'll be able to update this over there but I'll try my hardest for my Wucorp comrades.

    For those that don't know about the Islands, that CDF website is a good place to start.


    Anyway, I don't leave till September 18th, so I suppose I can answer some questions for anyone that's interested. After that I'll be updating this with photos and stories from my travels (hopefully it's all reasonably interesting).


    I'll be staying in Puerto Ayora on the Island, Santa Cruz:



    My project is based on Floreana.















  2. #2
    Gen Chat Bully Uncle Steezo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    5th Dimension
    Posts
    14,743
    Rep Power
    122

    Default

    so what are you actually going to be doing?
    whats the focus of the project and your particular involvement with it?

  3. #3
    I see you dawg SID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Planning some trill shit
    Posts
    7,074
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    As some of you may know (now that I think about it, hardly any of you know shit about this), I'm heading to the Galapagos Islands for 6 + months (after a short stop in Quito, Ecuador to sort out a visa).

    I'll be doing marine based research as a volunteer for the Charles Darwin Foundation (www.darwinfoundation.org).

    I figured (perhaps incorrectly), that it might be interesting to keep a record of the stuff I'm doing and the things I see over there on Wucorp.

    I'm not sure how regularly I'll be able to update this over there but I'll try my hardest for my Wucorp comrades.

    For those that don't know about the Islands, that CDF website is a good place to start.


    Anyway, I don't leave till September 18th, so I suppose I can answer some questions for anyone that's interested. After that I'll be updating this with photos and stories from my travels (hopefully it's all reasonably interesting).


    I'll be staying in Puerto Ayora on the Island, Santa Cruz:



    My project is based on Floreana.



    Sounds fucking awesome. How did you get to do this? does the foundation fund the whole trip?
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

  4. #4
    The Sloth in the know Slothy Fitzpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In the back left corner of your mind.
    Posts
    231
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Make sure you take a trip to the Amazon Jungle to break bread with my relatives.

    Yours,

    Slothy Fitzpatrick.
    Last edited by Slothy Fitzpatrick; 09-10-2009 at 07:07 AM.

    HEAVY MENTAL WITH SLOTHY FITZPATRICK

  5. #5
    1% Robert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Invisible College
    Posts
    7,371
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Crow ESQ View Post
    so what are you actually going to be doing?
    whats the focus of the project and your particular involvement with it?

    The project is basically all about the analysis of benthic fauna, predominately invertebrates. The CDF monitor and sample at 2 sites around Floreana approximately every 2 months.

    It is part of a larger research project on benthic succession being carried out by a research fellow (yeah, that's a real term) at the University of Bremen in Germany.

    Benthic succession more or less means changes to the make up (species' abundance and diversity) of a community, in this case, a benthic or "bottom dwelling" community.


    My role in the field will be to collect the invertebrate species (which would include diving for them), identify them, and perform statistical analysis on the data that is collected.

    In between, I'll be preparing materials for field trips, and performing statistical analysis. I've been told I'll be required to work on other projects also, but I'm not sure at this point what other projects I'll get.


    Quote Originally Posted by SID View Post
    Sounds fucking awesome. How did you get to do this? does the foundation fund the whole trip?

    I sent applications to several different organisations. This was probably the most competitive. I got offered a position on mainland Ecuador which would have envolved working on coral reefs. I also got a similar offer from a group in Mexico.

    I decided this was by far the best opportunity.

    Unfortunately SID, they don't fund the trip at all. Despite this, I think the opportunity is well worth it.












  6. #6
    Prince Rai
    Guest

    Default

    This is amazing! Good luck Rob and definitely keep us updated!

  7. #7
    I see you dawg SID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Planning some trill shit
    Posts
    7,074
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Make the most of it, this will be some serious experience.

    Heres your check list

    * find a sloth and level with him.
    * cultivate a orchid
    * bring back several algae species
    * live in a mud-hut with some sort of straw roof
    * bang a galapegian traditional dancer next to a charles darwin statue, when your finished graf ob4cl2 on charles chest.
    * make a campfire and tell your group about raekwons life story, leave out the lex diamonds period.
    Bank heist in Kathmandu, it was a slaughter
    The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water

  8. #8
    1% Robert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Invisible College
    Posts
    7,371
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SID View Post
    Make the most of it, this will be some serious experience.

    Heres your check list

    * find a sloth and level with him.
    * cultivate a orchid
    * bring back several algae species
    * live in a mud-hut with some sort of straw roof
    * bang a galapegian traditional dancer next to a charles darwin statue, when your finished graf ob4cl2 on charles chest.
    * make a campfire and tell your group about raekwons life story, leave out the lex diamonds period.
    I think I can probably tick most of those boxes.

    I could get kicked out of the archipelago for lighting a fire (illegal under the national park rules), so perhaps I'll tell that story at another time.












  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    As some of you may know (now that I think about it, hardly any of you know shit about this), I'm heading to the Galapagos Islands for 6 + months (after a short stop in Quito, Ecuador to sort out a visa).

    I'll be doing marine based research as a volunteer for the Charles Darwin Foundation (www.darwinfoundation.org).

    I figured (perhaps incorrectly), that it might be interesting to keep a record of the stuff I'm doing and the things I see over there on Wucorp.

    I'm not sure how regularly I'll be able to update this over there but I'll try my hardest for my Wucorp comrades.

    For those that don't know about the Islands, that CDF website is a good place to start.


    Anyway, I don't leave till September 18th, so I suppose I can answer some questions for anyone that's interested. After that I'll be updating this with photos and stories from my travels (hopefully it's all reasonably interesting).


    I'll be staying in Puerto Ayora on the Island, Santa Cruz:



    My project is based on Floreana.








    Die you lucky bastard!
    Last edited by Shogah; 09-10-2009 at 08:49 AM.

  10. #10
    1% Robert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Invisible College
    Posts
    7,371
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shogah View Post
    Die you lucky bastard!

    Haha! Don't jinx me, I'm spending a week in Quito before I get to Galapagos to sort out my visa (which couldn't happen over here because the people at the consulate are imbeciles).

    The travel advice from the Australian department of immigration for Ecuador makes interesting reading.

    "We advise you to exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety in Ecuador because of the risk of crime, civil unrest and the general threat of domestic terrorism"

    My old man thinks I might be taken hostage or something.












  11. #11
    1% Robert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Invisible College
    Posts
    7,371
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    The Charles Darwin Foundation


    CDF Galápagos is an international, non-profit organization, established in 1959 under the auspices of UNESCO, and registered in Belgium. In 1964, protected by an agreement with the government of Ecuador, the Charles Darwin Foundation established the Scientific Research Station (the place I'll be staying) in Puerto Ayora, on Santa Cruz Island with the purpose of providing the Ecuadorian Government with scientific advice on the conservation of Galápagos. The main offices are in Puerto Ayora, and the Foundation also has representatives in San Cristobal and Isabela.


    The Foundation’s principal strategic partner is the Galápagos National Park Service, the government administration service for the Galápagos National Park (PNG) and the Galápagos Marine Reserve (RMG), both established with the support of the CDF.


    The Foundation also works in conjunction with key Galápagos institutions, including the National Galápagos Authority (INGALA), the Ecuadorian Agricultural Service. (SESA), the Galápagos Quarantine and Inspection Service (SICGAL), the local municipalities and local government.


    Peace be with you.












  12. #12

    Default

    these volunteer things are fucking expensive man, but i'd say its worth it for the galapogas. I looked into a marine one in costa rica with duh manatees, but they were charging like $4,000 for like 2 or 3 months. I went travelling for a year instead.


  13. #13

    Default

    oh yeah i heard the amount of eco tourism on those islands is actually now a big talking point because it might be actually killing the environs there. their talking about stopping the tourism for a while. but its big big business so they probably wont.


  14. #14
    Irondan 2: Curly's Gold Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United Fucking States of America, Pussy
    Age
    35
    Posts
    7,950
    Rep Power
    66

    Default

    I'd like to check out your Galapagos Log(no homo)
    --youreallfags.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tectrus Moa View Post
    I'm sorry? Negro English? I think you mean Ebonics.

  15. #15

    Default

    this sounds interesting, robert
    keep us up to date on the galapagos expedition

    and lots of pics, man...i saw a special on the islands and it looks beautiful, and the biodiversity is unparalleled...so pics of flora and fauna are a must.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •