once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Galapagos Log

i'm so jealous!

ain't nothing change but the address...

I'm kind of jealous of you Robert. and by kind of I mean extremely. Bastid

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    these volunteer things are fucking expensive man, but i'd say its worth it for the galapogas. I looked into a marine one in costa rica with duh manatees, but they were charging like $4,000 for like 2 or 3 months. I went travelling for a year instead.
    They certainly can be. Some organisations take advantage of their volunteers. This isn't too bad really. About 50 USD a week to stay at the research centre in shared accomodation and apartments in town won't be much more apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
    oh yeah i heard the amount of eco tourism on those islands is actually now a big talking point because it might be actually killing the environs there. their talking about stopping the tourism for a while. but its big big business so they probably wont.

It's definitely becoming a significant issue. About 100,000 tourists pass through there every year. It's a tricky situation.

Had an extremely messy going away celebration with my friends. Hooked up with a girl who we discovered later was engaged. That was one event in a series of horrible/amusing/drunken events that occurred on that evening.

Leaving for Quito in a couple of days, just sorting out the final details.

Looks like I'll have a weekend to myself over there before I have to go in to sort out my visa and then a week waiting around for that.

In that time I intend to:

Go to Guayllabamba Zoo

Check out the night life.

Check out the women.

Avoid getting robbed.

Do some general exploring in the city (plenty of cool places to go).

Find a Sloth sanctuary.

Unfortunately, the final thing on my list might have to wait for 6 months as the closest sloth sanctuary is in Costa Rica (there is one being set up in Ecuador).

No matter what, at some stage I will break bread with Slothy's cousins.

Any suggestions from those in the know about places to go in Ecuador are welcomed.

Well,

I arrived in Quito (Ecuador's capital) last night. Shit is crazy. I'm currently situated in a pretty dodgy area (The Mariscal Sucre). Everything is very different (not surprisingly) and not knowing Spanish is fucking annoying.

But yeah, this place is pretty fucking insane. It's right in the Andes. You can see the mountains just walking along the street. You notice the fact your a long way above the ocean, that's for sure. Don't think I'll be doing lots of hiking this week at any rate.

Walking to the net cafe today a little girl chased me, insisting that I buy some lollies off her. Poverty is real here, infact, shit is real in general. Far more real than the suburb of Bridgeport.

I'll get some photos up as soon as I have some interesting ones.

No entiendo. Yo no hablo mucho espanyol.

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalAsiaticBlackDan View Post
    I'd like to check out your Galapagos Log(no homo)
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Well,

I arrived in Quito (Ecuador's capital) last night. Shit is crazy. I'm currently situated in a pretty dodgy area (The Mariscal Sucre). Everything is very different (not surprisingly) and not knowing Spanish is fucking annoying.

But yeah, this place is pretty fucking insane. It's right in the Andes. You can see the mountains just walking along the street. You notice the fact your a long way above the ocean, that's for sure. Don't think I'll be doing lots of hiking this week at any rate.

Walking to the net cafe today a little girl chased me, insisting that I buy some lollies off her. Poverty is real here, infact, shit is real in general. Far more real than the suburb of Bridgeport.

I'll get some photos up as soon as I have some interesting ones.

No entiendo. Yo no hablo mucho espanyol.

HAHAHahah!
    im sure you'll have a blast, id love to travel but im broke as eggs.
    Pictures are crucial.
    my advice is you beat your dick, one.

SLURMS HOTEMP

not knowing Spanish is fucking annoying.
    learn that shit. not knowing that shit will get you killed.

A small update (no photos till I get to Galapagos because of the shit net cafe):

I'm Quito till the end of the week (while I wait for residency on Galapagos). I've discovered I have an unhealthy love for plantains and empanadas.

I'm now staying in a house with a woman from the hotel (in one of her kid's bedrooms).
    For some reason, it seems middle class Quitenos like to adopt Western names like Grace, Rachel and Matthew (yeah, I just picked those out at random).

2 days ago I saw some guy who had been stabbed in the arm, chasing his assailants through a park. That happened at lunch time in the middle of the city. There is no such thing as a hood here because the whole country is a ghetto (to quote begongo).

I also found out I wasn't the whitest person in South America a few days ago when I encountered a small pack of people who I presume were English. The reflections coming off their faces were blinding.

Aside from that, I've done a bunch of touristy things. I'd prefer to be somewhere in the Amazon right now, frollicking with three-toed sloths.

Quito is great though, but everyone is out to make a buck and some change off tourists (unsurprisingly). Good on them.

SHEM HETEP.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    For some reason, it seems middle class Quitenos like to adopt Western names like Grace, Rachel and Matthew (yeah, I just picked those out at random).

I also found out I wasn't the whitest person in South America a few days ago when I encountered a small pack of people who I presume were English. The reflections coming off their faces were blinding.
    hahahahahahaha

when do you make it to galapagos?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    hahahahahahaha

when do you make it to galapagos?
    On Monday supposedly, although I haven't heard back from them yet.

Everything takes a while to happen over here.

^^^would you blame the darwin foundation's bureacracy or sheisty third-worlders?
    any hookers or drugs?
    or hookers and drugs?

Irondan 2: Curly's Gold Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster's Avatar

I know you're not supposed to, as an envionmentalist and scholar of the earth, but if you see a white-faced monkey, punch it in the face for me and tell it "Dan says you're a fag."
    --youreallfags.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectrus Moa View Post
    I'm sorry? Negro English? I think you mean Ebonics.

^^^then slit it's throat, pee on the corpse and say "kev says you're an abomination against nature"

fucking white faced monkeys
    who knew yacub grafted primates?