Thread: Why do we feel bad about things?

Default Why do we feel bad about things?

Why do we mourn the dead? Why do we feel bad when we kill someone who was going to kill us? Why don't we hold ourselves above others; at least greater than or equal to them? Why does it feel like we did something wrong when we break something? Why do we feel?

Are these emotions natural or taught? They seem very counter productive. Emotion inhibits logic, and our brains are too sophisticated to be held back by such reprehensible emotions.
    HANKERING FOR SOME BEEF CURTAINS

Veteran Member

Based on your questions in the first paragraph and the post in the euro state of mind thread, I'm starting to wonder what is wrong with you.

Veteran Member

Emotions do not inhibit logic.
    It could be an alert about what is important (and what we should pay attention to) and be used as a foundation for action.
    Last edited by diggy; 05-19-2010 at 10:37 PM.

...born of a future war Face of the Golden Falcon's Avatar

...emotions are our power. They are there to fuel action. They are there to carry out instruction. Unfortunately most people at the very least some of the time allow their emotions to influence decisions instead.

HETEPU

Req Em Ab

Quote Originally Posted by Face of the Golden Falcon View Post
    ...emotions are our power. They are there to fuel action. They are there to carry out instruction. Unfortunately most people at the very least some of the time allow their emotions to influence decisions instead.

HETEPU
    i agree but
    i think most people deny their emotions and act accordingly

your emotions offer guidance about what is right or wrong for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Food For Thought, i don't even pay you any attention because i know you're a retard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoarzHeadBoy View Post
    Why do we mourn the dead? Why do we feel bad when we kill someone who was going to kill us?
    One of humanities greatest strength is its ability to cooperate. This involves keeping potential partners around, and caring about others. Reciprocity. When this attachment is severed naturally we feel bad, we don't want it to happen again.

Killing is a great investment and a great risk. A human to whom killing was nothing would be quickly killed himself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoarzHeadBoy View Post

Why don't we hold ourselves above others; at least greater than or equal to them? Why does it feel like we did something wrong when we break something? Why do we feel?

Are these emotions natural or taught? They seem very counter productive. Emotion inhibits logic, and our brains are too sophisticated to be held back by such reprehensible emotions.
    Everything has trade offs. A lion's claw can scratch but it can't grasp. Emotions are part of our natural history, you said yourself we have animal instincts. To a degree our emotions are our conscious interpretations of these drives. Just because our brains have got us this far it doesn't mean they're perfect, or work without interference. The latest organ will always be the least developed.

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PALEHORSE View Post
    i agree but
    i think most people deny their emotions and act accordingly

your emotions offer guidance about what is right or wrong for you.
    Wow, Palehorse, you are even able to write something sensible.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."