news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Sound Shack

Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Shadow Demon
PRODIGAL SUN

Shadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venoms
Default Where to start with Soul?

I've listened to stuff here and there i.e. Curtis Mayfield but not versed in it,

This PR track really resounded with me, with its warm bassline and sharp drums and i know hip hop is intertwined yet distinct from Soul, but i was wondering if there were any Soul artists with sounds akin to this.

I know it samples Curtis Mayfield but I mean the beat.

Shadow Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
JASPER BEARDLY
Fan of the real

JASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of fury

RIP
JASPER BEARDLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
daffy duck
lord

daffy duck iron monkeydaffy duck iron monkeydaffy duck iron monkey

Al Green
Marvin Gaye
Otis Redding

a lot of niggas want to hate on me
what's the reason, nigga who knows
say i'm focused on the wrong shit
we just putting out the new dough
daffy duck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
ShaDynasty
Bastard Bastard Bastard

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon View Post

I know it samples Curtis Mayfield but I mean the beat.

lol soul music sounds like soul music and pete rock sounds like pete rock.

but anyway a few good soul artists not mentioned:

donny hathaway
Syl Johnson
Isaac Hayes
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

Sam Cooke hasn't been mentioned yet??

And definitely Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Bobby Womack, Jackie Wilson, Al Green, Luther Vandross, Smokey Robinson, Donny Hathaway (sampled many times in classics), Luther Ingram (sampled by Madlib and Dilla), James Brown (what would hiphop be without him?), Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Otis protege Arthur Conley (extremely underrated, his voice is simply amazing check out Sweet Soul Music)

I see Curtis Mayfield got mentioned. Believe me the best Curtis, is Curtis with The Impressions the legendary soul group. Most people seem to like Curtis as a solo artist more but his vocal range was simply brilliant when he was with The Impressions, it was actually pretty close to Sam's. Listen to Gypsy Woman by The Impressions and you'll get what I mean but fuck that corny Watch The Throne shit, they disrespected a legend like Otis putting cars and shit like that in their clip and using his voice.

Also Marvin Gaye's best album is Here, My Dear, it's better than What's Going On
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
kurupt_kw
Veteran Member

kurupt_kw crouching tigerkurupt_kw crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE GENIUS View Post
Nina Simone
I really like that funkier than a mosquito's tweeter song. I love how they add the instruments througout.
kurupt_kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Shadow Demon
PRODIGAL SUN

Shadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venomsShadow Demon five deadly venoms

thanks guys!!

Shadow Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
kurupt_kw
Veteran Member

kurupt_kw crouching tigerkurupt_kw crouching tiger

I asked the same question a couple of years ago and someone got me onto Bill Withers. My two favorites would be Use Me and Who is he? Great artist.

I keep thinking I should find that thread and pos rep whoever introduced me to Bill.

Unfortunately I never did dig too deep into old soul which is a shame since there's a lot of good music I'm missing out on.
kurupt_kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
laolu
Old Head, Young Shoulders

laolu drunken mastalaolu drunken mastalaolu drunken masta

Go to a record store...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
THE MASON
Winter is Coming

THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

^lol that was my first thought

O' Jays
Diana Ross
Temptations
Smokey Robinson
Bill Withers
Delfonics
Marvelletes

shit the list doesnt end, put in some leg work and hit a record store, dig around the crates, and find some.

ELITE STATUS
THE MASON is offline   Reply With Quote