news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey
Default What's most important to you in hip-hop?

So I was thinking recently what was the most important part of hip hop to me. I like hip hop for a lot of different reasons but I think you can sort of quantitate what makes a great album. I think of it like this...

Production (beats, samples, cuts, atmosphere, etc...)
Rhymes (schemes, patterns)
Delivery (how the MCs mic presence is, charisma, breath control etc)
Flow (basically the pattern that the MC follows over/with the beat)
Lyrics (meaning, metaphors, alliterations, double entendres, just wordplay in general)

So what is most important to you guys in the genre of hip-hop? For me, I think the delivery is the most important part. There have been albums that suffer from different things but are still solid and respectable simply due to the brilliance/skill of the MC. It doesn't always have to be deep but as long as the MC is fun/enjoyable to hear, I think that's the most important part.
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Paranoid
Venom

Paranoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of fury

well other then the obvious production, delivery and lyrics to elaborate more...i would say stay within the original formula but put your own spin on it. have talent and substance. speak the truth. clever and interesting record samples. wise beat selection. take time to craft your work and make sure your soul is in it and that what you are saying applies to who you really are and how you really feel. respect the art and those that paved the way. utilize different concepts that are outside the norm and not over used like crime, sex, drugs, cars, clubs, money...
Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
well other then the obvious production, delivery and lyrics to elaborate more...i would say stay within the original formula but put your own spin on it. have talent and substance. speak the truth. clever and interesting record samples. wise beat selection. take time to craft your work and make sure your soul is in it and that what you are saying applies to who you really are and how you really feel. respect the art and those that paved the way. utilize different concepts that are outside the norm and not over used like crime, sex, drugs, cars, clubs, money...
Not bad priorities at all.

What makes a "wise beat selection" for you? I'm thinking that what really makes a wise beat selection is simply how a rapper uses it. (raps over/with it) I'm thinking any beat can be a wise selection it just depends how the rapper uses it.

Granted, I guess there are wack beats that aren't good no matter how a rapper uses it. I'm also thinking that depending on the lyrical content, the beat CAN reflect the mood of it. Look at Eminem's "Rock Bottom" for example or Cage's "The Soundtrack".
Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Paranoid
Venom

Paranoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
Not bad priorities at all.

What makes a "wise beat selection" for you? I'm thinking that what really makes a wise beat selection is simply how a rapper uses it. (raps over/with it) I'm thinking any beat can be a wise selection it just depends how the rapper uses it.

Granted, I guess there are wack beats that aren't good no matter how a rapper uses it. I'm also thinking that depending on the lyrical content, the beat CAN reflect the mood of it. Look at Eminem's "Rock Bottom" for example or Cage's "The Soundtrack".
some beats are just flat out wack/boring/repetitive. some rappers are unable to indentify this. i dont really like eminem or cage.

Last edited by Paranoid; 03-02-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
infinite vagina
piggies

infinite vagina drunken mastainfinite vagina drunken mastainfinite vagina drunken masta

melody is the most important for me

infinite vagina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
PANDA PISS
I Radiate Distinction

PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to PANDA PISS

Are you a market researcher?
PANDA PISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Paranoid
Venom

i was also alittle curious why you're asking all these questions in various threads. i suppose you're curious
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Gun Funk View Post
Are you a market researcher?
Haha, no I'm just an 18 yr old guy who loves talking about music.

I love hearing other peoples opinions and views on music because it gives me a new perspective. Discussing music is my second favorite pastime. (first being actually listening to it )

I appreciate the opinions though guys.

Even if you don't like Cage, you can see what I mean about the beat reflecting the mood right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ticgNOpUJp8

This song's about Cage's fantasies of killing his stepfather.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
Prime8
a.k.a. The Great'

Prime8 iron monkeyPrime8 iron monkeyPrime8 iron monkeyPrime8 iron monkeyPrime8 iron monkey

I just want it to 'work.'

There's LPs where the lyrics suck, and the beats are good, and that can still be a good album (e.g. A lot of this Cloud Rap stuff). However, if those same lyrics were put on even better production (like some sick DJ Premier beats), it mightn't 'fit' as nicely.

Personally, the beats have to be at a certain level (even just passable) for me to even listen to the music. I'll listen to different records for different reasons, but if the beats are unlistenable, I don't care what kind of futuristic knowledge you're spittin, you can fuck off.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

good thread
Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
PANDA PISS
I Radiate Distinction

PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to PANDA PISS

It needs to sound different, not generic in terms of having interesting sounds and a singular lyrical and rhythmic style.

Like someone said, it needs to work and that means that all the elements form a whole that doesnt sound thrown together.
PANDA PISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
It needs to sound different, not generic in terms of having interesting sounds and a singular lyrical and rhythmic style.

Like someone said, it needs to work and that means that all the elements form a whole that doesnt sound thrown together.
Good description, the first album that came to mind from that description was "Dr Octagonecologyst". That album is incredibly innovative, great beats, but sometimes the lyrics can be iffy.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
OntheHorizon
PRODIGAL SUN

OntheHorizon iron monkeyOntheHorizon iron monkeyOntheHorizon iron monkey

It's just a vibe that kind of goes without saying for me. I cant really explain much about it, I dont like lyrical miracles nerd rapppers or Retarded downsyndrome rappers, I dont like simple simon 4 bar loop sample beats or futristic Techno "I made this whole track on a casio keyboard" beats either, I dont like rappers who spit meaningless punchlines about nothing anymore then I like self-righteous preachers rapping on a soapbox...... It's a balance I look for thats getting harder to find as I get older
OntheHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #14
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

The most important part for me is what clothes the rappers wear when they're on the streets and also how many people they've shot.