news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey
Default Favorite Hip-Hop production work?

So rapping aside, what are some of your favorite albums based on production? There are a lot of different production styles for a lot of different tastes, what are some of your favs? For me:

Smif-N-Wessun - Dah' Shinin - I just love the dark and gritty atmosphere of this one. Da Beatminerz did an excellent job creating street music for Tek and Steele to vibe off of.

Tribe - Low End Theory - What more can be said about this one? The production is smooth and jazzy and it flows perfectly.

Outkast - Aquemini - This one just feels so organic. It's layered and and the music runs deep. Hell, we got a harmonica solo on Rosa Parks. This album is over 70 minutes and the production keeps the listener interested and engaged.

Aesop Rock - Skelethon - I'm gonna throw this one out there because I was so impressed by it. Aesop himself did almost all of the production on this one and he showed he is multi-talented. The songs range from lighthearted to being dark and steeped in rock. Very interesting and solid production work that provided an above average foundation for Aesop's eclectic stories.

So how bout you guys?
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 2
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx
GZA - Liquid Swords
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Pete Rock - Soul Survivor
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
A Tribe Called Quest - The Love Movement
Frank-N-Dank - 48 Hours (they are awful rappers, but the beats on here are mindblowing)
Lootpack - Soundpieces: Da Antidote!
Nas - Illmatic

I am probably forgetting some albums, but basically everything with a lot of Dilla on it I like a lot.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey

Nice choices. What about Love Movement appeals to you in particular?
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
UNCLE RUCKUS
Fearless Vampire Killer

UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to UNCLE RUCKUS

Most of Prince Paul's work but especially 6 Feet Deep and De La Soul is Dead the way he weaves tracks together actually makes dope skits and entertaining albums as a whole Pyscoanalysis and Prince Among Thieves as well, I don't think of one track I like on these records I think that makes them special I think of them as whole pieces of work.

Also ATLiens and Soul Food by Goodie Mob have a really warm rich sound that I love and was I think distinct to time and place.
UNCLE RUCKUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

The organic beats. The basslines, the swing in the drums, the choices of samples. Everything about it. I am aware of the fact that it's their worst work by far, but as far as beats goes this album is a masterpiece. I have the instrumental version and listen to it a lot. Before I had the instrumental version I could never really appreciate The Love Movement. Beats, Rhymes and Life has a lot of great beats as well, but I think Jay Dee was better on The Love Movement.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
UNCLE RUCKUS
Fearless Vampire Killer

UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
So rapping aside, what are some of your favorite albums based on production? There are a lot of different production styles for a lot of different tastes, what are some of your favs? For me:

Smif-N-Wessun - Dah' Shinin - I just love the dark and gritty atmosphere of this one. Da Beatminerz did an excellent job creating street music for Tek and Steele to vibe off of.

Tribe - Low End Theory - What more can be said about this one? The production is smooth and jazzy and it flows perfectly.

Outkast - Aquemini - This one just feels so organic. It's layered and and the music runs deep. Hell, we got a harmonica solo on Rosa Parks. This album is over 70 minutes and the production keeps the listener interested and engaged.

Aesop Rock - Skelethon - I'm gonna throw this one out there because I was so impressed by it. Aesop himself did almost all of the production on this one and he showed he is multi-talented. The songs range from lighthearted to being dark and steeped in rock. Very interesting and solid production work that provided an above average foundation for Aesop's eclectic stories.

So how bout you guys?
Never got into Aesop Rock the others are classics tho
Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Gnarls Barkely

Both albums

Viktor Vaughn

Survival Skills
Old 03-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
CEITEDMOFO
DuncanHine Monument Cakes

CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

KING GHEEDORAH

AND GROUP HOMES LIVIN PROOF IS TO HARD FOR U PUSSYS

Last edited by CEITEDMOFO; 03-31-2013 at 12:28 PM.
CEITEDMOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
CEITEDMOFO
DuncanHine Monument Cakes

CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

IRON MAN , TICAL, RETURN TO THE 36

AND 15 YRS TODAY PRIMO DROPPED THIS CLASSIC
CEITEDMOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
JASPER BEARDLY
Fan of the real

JASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEITEDMOFO AKA HEAT View Post
IRON MAN , TICAL, RETURN TO THE 36

AND 15 YRS TODAY PRIMO DROPPED THIS CLASSIC
throw in fantastic vol 2(.10), liquid swords

moment of truth might be my fav album

RIP
JASPER BEARDLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
theheavens
Banned

theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

nothing from the '80s, that's for sure

it's probably these two for me

theheavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
UNCLE RUCKUS
Fearless Vampire Killer

theres a ton of crazy production from the 80's!

Dust Brothers on Pauls Boutique
Prince Paul 3 Feet And Rising (Classic)
Rick Rubin (License to Ill, Raising Hell)

And Marley FUCKING Marl
Roads to the Riches
Long Live the Kane/Its A Big Daddy Thing
Goin Off..etc

The Bomb Squad and Dr Dre c'mon thats insane!! The late 80's were the SHIT
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
ShaDynasty
Bastard Bastard Bastard

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

Cuban linx, no competition. One of the best albums in any genre.

Rofl at funkydrummers usual boring shitty picks
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
daffy duck
Tsukuyomi

daffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal son

a tribe called quest - the low end theory
digable planets - blowout comb
souls of mischief - 93 'til infinity
the pharcyde - bizarre ride ii the pharcyde
ultramagnetic mc's - critical beatdown
redman - muddy waters
juvenile - 400 degreez
cam'ron - purple haze
lil b - i'm thraxx
waka flocka flame - flockaveli
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
daffy duck
Tsukuyomi

daffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal son