news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber

Old 09-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
mowbs

mowbs grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to mowbs
Default Masta Killa on his solo albums

At the risk of taking some serious heat, I came to the conclusion that MK gives a weaker performance on his solo albums than any of the other 9 generals do on theirs. He uses a minimal amount of emotion in his delivery and his lyrics aren't nearly as good as they are when he spits on Clan albums. I've only purchased Made in Brooklyn today, and I'm pretty disappointed with it thus far. He seems to rely too heavily on production (which is very "meh" on the album) and guest stars. I think his debut is a solid effort from front to back, but lyric-wise for Masta, it's just not up to par. He just doesn't sound remotely hungry on MIB either. I'm not sure what is next for Masta, but I think he should take more than a couple of years off before he releases another album. Lyrically, Uey is superior on GAR.
mowbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Rame
Wu Vatican

Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Agree on as much as I heard of it, didn't hear NSD yet so can't speak on that

But MIB sounded a bit boring to me

Last edited by Rame; 09-05-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Rame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
Empire™

Empire™ grasshopper

every1 on this forum seems highly educated
Empire™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
deadlymelody
Wu Vatican

deadlymelody grasshopper

Yes, Made In Brooklyn is not a great MC effort from Masta Killa. This is just my opinion, but Masta Killa was very good on No Said Date, take in example Secret Rivals, Masta Killa, and Whatever. On Made In Brooklyn, he wasn't at his best, but I did feel him a lot on Pass The Bone Remix, Brooklyn King, and Nehanda & Cream.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
Racailla
Neb-maat Ra

Racailla grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlymelody View Post
Yes, Made In Brooklyn is not a great MC effort from Masta Killa. This is just my opinion, but Masta Killa was very good on No Said Date, take in example Secret Rivals, Masta Killa, and Whatever. On Made In Brooklyn, he wasn't at his best, but I did feel him a lot on Pass The Bone Remix, Brooklyn King, and Nehanda & Cream.
I agree

http://www.myspace.com/racailla
Racailla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
TSA
BIG OPINION, BIGGER LOAD

www.majeofficial.com

TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire™ View Post
every1 on this forum seems highly educated

that's cause we skipped summer school and bought the Wu-tang double CD
Old 09-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Cm0ney
Veteran Member

Cm0ney grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShaolinAssassin View Post
that's cause we skipped summer school and bought the Wu-tang double CD
lol you win
Cm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
CashRules
Everything Around Me

CashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal son

I completely disagree......He sounds the same as when he raps with the Clan, Dope!! Both Masta Killa's albums are Bangas, How can you not like Made In Brooklyn, its got Ringin' Bells, E.N.Y House, Iron God Chamber, Brooklyn King, all these are dope tracks, you said your dissapointed with the album, even though YOU ONLY JUS BOUGHT IT TODAY!! Come on man you gotta give it a fair try before hatin on the album, let it grow on you
Old 09-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
ShaDynasty
Bad Birds That Fuck Nerds

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

no said date is classic
mib is aiight
his flow has always been very slow/laid back
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Jet Set
VogeltjesDansBende lid

Jet Set crouching tiger
Send a message via MSN to Jet Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbs View Post
Lyrically, Uey is superior on GAR.
RZA drops one of his weakest verses ever there. And Uey is GOAt on that one.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #11
Dr. Simon Hurt
Madrigal Elektromotoren

Location: my own private domicile, and I will not be harassed...bitch!
Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
RZA drops one of his weakest verses ever there. And Uey is GOAt on that one.
RZA wasn't on Golden Arms Redemption.

I agree with the threadstarter, none of the verses on his solos equal Chessboxin, Friction, Glaciers of Ice, One Blood, and so on. Take that song Digi Warfare, I thought he was going to spit some militant poetry over that beat and completely subvert your expectations of what type of lyrics would go over that track but he completely disappointed there. Every song on No Said Date with a guest sees them take Masta to school. I enjoyed that album a lot, but his lyrical performances are pretty boring and nondescript.
Dr. Simon Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #12
CashRules
Everything Around Me

CashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal sonCashRules prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by vay727 View Post
Every song on No Said Date with a guest sees them take Masta to school
Thats bullshit man, NSD is a classic an Masta's verses on that album are dope no way does he get outshined on every track someone else is on, thats ridiculous
Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #13
Dr. Simon Hurt
Madrigal Elektromotoren

Location: my own private domicile, and I will not be harassed...bitch!
Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashRules View Post
Thats bullshit man, NSD is a classic an Masta's verses on that album are dope no way does he get outshined on every track someone else is on, thats ridiculous

Fuck, that I stand by what I said

DTD= Rae and Ghost spit better than Masta by far, he's rhyming about chicks in mink coats and shit

Whatever= This is more even, actually I'll give you that he has the best verse on this track

Secret Rivals= Meth and Killah Priest got Masta Killa on this, Masta's verse is ok but still on some simple shit

Old Man= Masta's verse sucks on this, RZA's isn't that great but is definitely better than Masta Killa

School= RZA's got this one

Silverbacks= Masta's got the weakest flow on this.

Put simply, Masta's lyrics are alot mor simplistic on his albums than his guest spots. He killed Unstoppable Threats on Grandmasters, but he doesn't bring that level of intensity or proficiency to any of his solo shit.
Dr. Simon Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #14
Rooty P
i.e. Root Pepper

Rooty P sitting duck

Masta's style IS laid back. It's ill as fuck. My only quip is that his lyrics with Wu are usually sicker than his ones on the solo CD. He tries to rock the crowd and shit, which doesn't work for his flow. I like the mysterious Masta that drops knowledge.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
Jet Set
VogeltjesDansBende lid

Jet Set crouching tiger
Send a message via MSN to Jet Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by vay727 View Post
RZA wasn't on Golden Arms Redemption.

I agree with the threadstarter, none of the verses on his solos equal Chessboxin, Friction, Glaciers of Ice, One Blood, and so on. Take that song Digi Warfare, I thought he was going to spit some militant poetry over that beat and completely subvert your expectations of what type of lyrics would go over that track but he completely disappointed there. Every song on No Said Date with a guest sees them take Masta to school. I enjoyed that album a lot, but his lyrical performances are pretty boring and nondescript.
I was talking about the song from MIB