news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Know The Ledge

Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 AM   #1
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default How We Want To Be Perceived

Do we want to be perceived and received by people as being righteous, good, knowledgeable, etc....

does this want get in the way of us achieving our full potential ?

why do we study and work our mind out ?

so people can say "ohhh look at his mental muscles" ?

most of us will say "no, thats not what i do it for"

but how much thought have we really given it ?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Face of the Golden Falcon
...born of a future war

Face of the Golden Falcon five deadly venomsFace of the Golden Falcon five deadly venomsFace of the Golden Falcon five deadly venomsFace of the Golden Falcon five deadly venomsFace of the Golden Falcon five deadly venomsFace of the Golden Falcon five deadly venomsFace of the Golden Falcon five deadly venomsFace of the Golden Falcon five deadly venomsFace of the Golden Falcon five deadly venoms
Send a message via MSN to Face of the Golden Falcon

...this is something I give a lot of thought. It's very easy to be satisfied with sounding wise instead of living wise. People are easily impressed and a few big words will have them thinking your a sage. Its important to make sure we're not just trying to impress people but also to make an impression on people. This is a battle I'm constantly fighting within.

SHEM HETEP

Req Em Ab

Face of the Golden Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Mumm Ra
God's Replica

Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

how one wants to be perceived doesn't always equate with how they are perceived - it's not something you have complete control of
honestly I don't give much thought to how I am perceived - because of that, and because I don't seek acknowledgment of my mental work.
if anything I would say I try to be perceived as a loving person - and I am - and that doesn't require any sort of smart talk, or talk at all.
but behind that I do my studying and mental work for the sake of being the best I that I can be.
matter of fact I naturally avoid making myself look like a "sage" - in a sort of ODB type way. Nearly every other day I get asked "what the hell is wrong with you?" or "where the hell did you come from??" lol. I usually say A LOT or I dunno or something random.
but the same people who say that are the same that know me well, and always tell me I'm very intelligent.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Charles Barry
Cranberry Grenades

Charles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venoms

When I was younger I based a lot of my identity on my academics. I was always considered one of the smarter people in my classes and I suppose I took a bit of pride in that. However, sometime around 7th or 8th grade I slowly learned the lesson that no matter how much I knew, there were always going to be many other people just as smart or even more so. It was a tough lesson for me to learn at the time, but it humbled me which was very good. It also helped me to understand that you can learn something from everyone.

With all that being said, this had an effect on me in high school and college. Academics didn't motivate me anymore and I was all about trying to "fit in" and find my place in this world. I found myself interacting with many different types of people and groups. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was just trying to cling on to something where I felt accepted. I also didn't realize that my personality often changed based on who I was interacting with. Because of this, I pretty much fell out of contact with just about everyone that I was cool with during this time. I still had a lot of learning to do about myself and those associations just kind of fizzled out.

Once I entered the "real world" and started working, I found myself surrounded by co-workers who were mostly older than me. For some reason, I regressed back into young mode, because I wanted all of them to know how smart I was. Whether it be giving a speech or typing up a report, I needed that validation for some reason.

Fast forward to 2007 and my life hits a ton of bumps in the road. After falling on my ass I had to really put things in perspective. Once I realized that most of my decisions in life were based on how I wanted others to perceive me, it really changed me for the better. For the first time in my life I started doing things because I wanted to do it. Studying subjects that I had a true interest in. When you worry too much about how others perceive you, all it does is stunt your mental and personal growth. Respect others ideas and options, but make sure you're living for yourself.

Charles Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
food for thought
Duppy Conquerer

Location: SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR
food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Barry View Post
When I was younger I based a lot of my identity on my academics. I was always considered one of the smarter people in my classes and I suppose I took a bit of pride in that. However, sometime around 7th or 8th grade I slowly learned the lesson that no matter how much I knew, there were always going to be many other people just as smart or even more so. It was a tough lesson for me to learn at the time, but it humbled me which was very good. It also helped me to understand that you can learn something from everyone.

With all that being said, this had an effect on me in high school and college. Academics didn't motivate me anymore and I was all about trying to "fit in" and find my place in this world. I found myself interacting with many different types of people and groups. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was just trying to cling on to something where I felt accepted. I also didn't realize that my personality often changed based on who I was interacting with. Because of this, I pretty much fell out of contact with just about everyone that I was cool with during this time. I still had a lot of learning to do about myself and those associations just kind of fizzled out.

Once I entered the "real world" and started working, I found myself surrounded by co-workers who were mostly older than me. For some reason, I regressed back into young mode, because I wanted all of them to know how smart I was. Whether it be giving a speech or typing up a report, I needed that validation for some reason.

Fast forward to 2007 and my life hits a ton of bumps in the road. After falling on my ass I had to really put things in perspective. Once I realized that most of my decisions in life were based on how I wanted others to perceive me, it really changed me for the better. For the first time in my life I started doing things because I wanted to do it. Studying subjects that I had a true interest in. When you worry too much about how others perceive you, all it does is stunt your mental and personal growth. Respect others ideas and options, but make sure you're living for yourself.

thanks for sharing.

food for thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
WARPATH
Dinosaur Hunter

WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via Skype™ to WARPATH

I distort perception with my mutant abilities.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Urban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS View Post
Do we want to be perceived and received by people as being righteous, good, knowledgeable, etc....

why do we study and work our mind out ?

so people can say "ohhh look at his mental muscles" ?

most of us will say "no, thats not what i do it for"

but how much thought have we really given it ?
Most of us do want to be seen a certain way by other people. It's usually a great part of why people do the things they do. However, being concerned with how society views you is weak and should be avoided at all costs. Popularity usually leads to the division of the self. This, however, seems to be the norm.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Journalz View Post
being concerned with how society views you is weak and should be avoided at all costs.
how people view you isn't important ?

people want love and attention but are mostly too proud to admit it

people want to be accepted by their peers

it shouldn't make you or break you

but for some it does make them or break them - especially when they are at a delicate age -

people who are on a true path to knowing ones self, they also study how others view them - they listen to what people say about them - this also helps the student to become more considerate in their dealings with others - being concerned about others and not just yourself is the strong students way - treating them with respect and concern no matter how they may chose to see you is the soldiers way - but being nice doesn't always work and sometimes spanking have to be issued - thats life - and sometimes death
Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Urban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal son

Quote:
how people view you isn't important ?

people want love and attention but are mostly too proud to admit it

people want to be accepted by their peers

it shouldn't make you or break you

but for some it does make them or break them - especially when they are at a delicate age -

people who are on a true path to knowing ones self, they also study how others view them - they listen to what people say about them - this also helps the student to become more considerate in their dealings with others - being concerned about others and not just yourself is the strong students way - treating them with respect and concern no matter how they may chose to see you is the soldiers way - but being nice doesn't always work and sometimes spanking have to be issued - thats life - and sometimes death
No, it's not important. Not when it comes to everyone. There are certain people who do matter in the aspect, but people usually want to be seen in the eyes of all mankind in general, not the people that truly matter. They're usually overlooked unless it's life or death on the line.

The peers are what's important. Are the peers worth your striving? Or are they a hindrance to who and what you truly are?

It shouldn't make or break us, it should help or not help us. Too much emphasis is put on it, true indeed. I feel that all of us are at a delicate age, because I do believe that people are able to live into the hundreds. So, we're all babies really.

The last paragraph is a definite co-sign. About what you said about seeing how others view you and being considerate is true, all too often though, people try to shape you how they would like you to be, as opposed to how you should be. Strength should be checked from time to time, but and soldier knows that returning fire is also just as essential.

Timing I believe is also key in the Grand Scheme.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
SG
Forever Upward

SG crouching tigerSG crouching tiger

Quote:

No, not for some. if that person is committed to their work it can determine their occupation or peace under their own flag