news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Box Office Hideout

Old 04-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default It's Official...The Director For The Lord Of The Rings Prequel Has Been Set

In a major step forward on “The Hobbit,” Guillermo del Toro has signed on to direct the New Line-MGM tentpole and its sequel.

The widely expected announcement -- which had been rumored for several weeks -- came Thursday afternoon jointly from exec producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, New Line president Toby Emmerich, and Mary Parent, newly named chief of MGM’s Worldwide Motion Picture Group.
Del Toro’s moving to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams. He’ll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between “The Hobbit” and “The Fellowship of the Ring,” the first of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.
New Line is overseeing development and will manage production. Both pics are being co-produced and co-financed by New Line Cinema and MGM, with Warner Bros. distributing domestically and MGM handling international.
Del Toro won’t leave for New Zealand immediately as he’s still in post-production on U’s “Hellboy 2,” due out in July. His previous pic, “Pan’s Labyrinth,” was released through New Line’s Picturehouse and set a record as the highest grossing Spanish language film in U.S. box office history.
The official signing of Del Toro comes four months after New Line settled a lawsuit with Jackson over “The Lord of the Rings” and announced that it had agreed with MGM to turn J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Hobbit” into two live-action films. Sam Raimi had been preceived as the initial front-runner as director but Del Toro had emerged in recent months as the likely candidate.
The studios didn’t give a start date on production and don’t yet have a script. Though no screenplay deal’s been set, it’s expected that the “LOTR” scripting team of Jackson, Walsh and Philippa Boyens will collaborate with Del Toro.
With Del Toro blocking out four years for the project, it’s likely that the studios are aiming at starting shooting next year and releasing the films in late 2011 and 2012. Jackson’s WETA stages, post-production and visual effects facilities -- built for “The Lord of the Rings” -- will be used for both films. And New Zealand will again be the site of Middle-earth, with the story centering on Bilbo Baggins taking the Ring of Power from Gollum.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Dodie

Dodie grasshopper

imo it won't make any sense, after this what's next???
Dodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Papers

Papers grasshopper

Looking forward to the hobbit. Always liked that book better then the lord of the rings which seemed to drag at times. I dont know if it can live up to the cartoon version of the hobbit though. Shit is timeless.
Papers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Sgt Holly Wood
armynavyairforcemarines

Sgt Holly Wood drunken mastaSgt Holly Wood drunken masta
Send a message via AIM to Sgt Holly Wood

def watching this

lord of the rings is dope man, movies are long as fuck though, but its worth it
Sgt Holly Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
Shitao
ASP's S

Shitao iron monkeyShitao iron monkeyShitao iron monkeyShitao iron monkeyShitao iron monkey
Send a message via MSN to Shitao

Good news. Guillermo del Toro is a good director. Pan’s Labyrinth, Espinazo del diablo, Cronos are really interesting. Funny to see that like Jackson, Del Toro first movies are horror flicks
Shitao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Skellington

Skellington shaolin monk
Send a message via MSN to Skellington

As much as I disslike pre-sequels I will be watching this, Del Toro is one of the finest movie directors out there!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #7
SKANK HILL
STOP lowy protectors

SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
imo it won't make any sense, after this what's next???
it does make sense ... they're doing a movie based on the book the hobbit which is set before LOTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
SKANK HILL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Do people even read the shit I post?.....they are making two films. The first is an adaption of The Hobbit, the second is a movie thats going to link The Hobbit with the trilogy because there is a 60 year gap between storys.

Method Man
Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
SKANK HILL
STOP lowy protectors

SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SKANK HILL Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

the fuck ?? people are saying they're looking forward to it n shit ... damn fuck is with u
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
SKANK HILL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Skellington

Skellington shaolin monk
Send a message via MSN to Skellington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonearm Terrorwrist View Post
the fuck ?? people are saying they're looking forward to it n shit ... damn fuck is with u
Did you ever watch a Del Toro movie???
Old 04-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
TAURO
El Don of this shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonearm Terrorwrist View Post
I didn't understand any of this.

Method Man
Old 04-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #12
LuckyTheWonderDog
Peace to the god(zilla)

LuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venoms

Nothing wrong with making The Hobbit, but I dunno about the second film. I'm assuming this isn't based on anything written by Tolkien? If that's the case, then they're treading dangerous ground. It's not gonna be easy to write an addition to the most popular book of all time.

Personally I was never a fan of the LOTR books as I felt they dragged on (as did the films). I really enjoyed reading the Hobbit as a kid though, so will be interested to see what they do with the source material.

Del Toro is an excetional director.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 04-27-2008 at 08:00 AM.
LuckyTheWonderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #13
TAURO
El Don of this shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinx View Post
Nothing wrong with making The Hobbit, but I dunno about the second film. I'm assuming this isn't based on anything written by Tolkien? If that's the case, then they're treading dangerous ground. It's not gonna be easy to write an addition to the most popular book of all time.

Personally I was never a fan of the LOTR books as I felt they dragged on (as did the films). I really enjoyed reading the Hobbit as a kid though, so will be interested to see what they do with the source material.

Del Toro is an excetional director.
Actually the second film will be based off the notes and back storys that tolkien wrote, very little if anything will be made up although I can imagine some creative licence being given.

Method Man