news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

View Poll Results: Illmatic or Lifestylez
Illmatic - NAS 40 76.92%
Lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous - Big L 8 15.38%
they are both as good as each other 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
NIGHT MAYOR
tha VIKING gawd

NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Illmatic Vs Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous

its mid 1990's and Hip Hop and Gangster rap was exploding across the globe, two of the most influential east coast spitters were dropping their major debut releases:

Nas and his Illmatic project dropped April 19 1994 debuted at #12 selling 59,000 copies in its first week on the Columbia Records label. Producers included DJ Premier, Q-tip, Pete Rock & Large Professor.

Songs included in the album were such as:

* NEW YORK STATE OF MIND
* HALFTIME
* REPRESENT
* ONE LOVE
and 'The world is yours'

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous hit the stores in 1995 on March 28th
and to quote Big L himself from an interview with 'Hip-hop Connection'
"The album sold pretty good. It did well, extremely well when you take into account that it didn't get much airplay or video play but peoples still sent out and supported it. If you took the promotion and video play away from some other artists, they couldn't sell what I sold. It sold just by word of mouth. People were like, ‘Big L is hot, we like him’, not because the label put me out there or supported me."
producers included Buckwild, Lord Finesse & Showbiz

with songs such as:

* PUT IT ON
* M.V.P.
* DANGER ZONE
* LIFESTYLEZ OV DA POOR & DANGEROUS
and 'No endz, no skinz'

750 REBELS - australia's best

Last edited by NIGHT MAYOR; 08-15-2008 at 07:23 PM.
NIGHT MAYOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
spiggity_ace
Veteran Member

spiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venoms

i say illmatic gets the edge, both are lyrically on point, i would say big L takes the lyric battle, but nas got the legendary production on his side in this, i wanted better production on lifestylez, like he had on the big picture with platinum plus, and deadly combo, but overall i'd give it to illmatic only cuz of superior beats
spiggity_ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Bg_Knocc_Out
Mayonase

Bg_Knocc_Out crouching tigerBg_Knocc_Out crouching tiger
Send a message via AIM to Bg_Knocc_Out

I've always felt LSOTPAD (long abrieveation) more than illmatic. Love both, but Big L was on point in all of the songs. "Street Struck", "Da Graveyard", "M.V.P", "I Don't Understand It", etc etc...
Bg_Knocc_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
SaqurakiHanamichi
CLANSMAN

SaqurakiHanamichi shaolin monk

...... Wow
Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
NIGHT MAYOR
tha VIKING gawd

NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

yeah in my mind they are realy similar albums, dropped within a year of eachother both legendary NY rappers, both ill on the mic & i got into them around the same time (not 1995) so they realy sit together in my book of hip-hop thats why i wanted to make this thread to see who liked what more

Old 08-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
NIGHT MAYOR
tha VIKING gawd

does everyone own both these albums too ?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Illmatic easy.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

own both ... love both of them ... haven't bumped lifestylez in a while though ... but for me illmatic is flawless ... lyrically i don't think anything matches it and you can hold me to that ...

i'll vote they're both as good as each other since i don't think there's too much difference between them
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
The Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Crack Killz
ADEPT

Crack Killz drunken mastaCrack Killz drunken mastaCrack Killz drunken masta
Send a message via AIM to Crack Killz Send a message via MSN to Crack Killz

Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous nigga.

Crack Killz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
SickT
Pretty Toney

SickT iron monkeySickT iron monkeySickT iron monkeySickT iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaqurakiHanamichi View Post
...... Wow
Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
DJMethods
Wu Vatican

DJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of fury

Both ill as eachother, but I bump Lifestylez WAY more

Teachin Da SeedZ
DJMethods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
Orion Nebulus
Scientifical Ninja

Orion Nebulus drunken mastaOrion Nebulus drunken masta

Illmatic easily.

"One arm bandit..stab companions with intricate sentences...battle crews single- handed..with cannons that blow you from here to other planets."
Orion Nebulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #13
Rame
Wu Vatican

Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Illmatic.

Both are good but Illmatic is still a lot better.

Rame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
Edgar Erebus
Munching eyes since 1989

Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Illmatic.
"The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."
Edgar Erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
Krish

Krish Village Idiot

I love both albums but Illmatic is and always has been the G.O.A.T. hip-hop album of all time. Big L is a dope rapper and some beats like M.V.P. were ncie but I fell that the production held back Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous back. So basically:

ILLMATIC>>>ANY HIP-HOP ALBUM THAT EXISTS
Krish is offline   Reply With Quote