news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber > Album Reviews

View Poll Results: Protools
Classic 30 15.96%
Superior 82 43.62%
Banger 57 30.32%
Average 14 7.45%
Mediocore 3 1.60%
Weak 0 0%
Wack 2 1.06%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #121
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

i wasnt excited when i saw him but i figured i owed the guy who made "hiphop fury" and "victim" the benefit of the doubt.

to hell with him now after these contributions. he needs to go away.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #122
Acromadic
Acro Einstein

Acromadic grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Acromadic

only a banger to me, beats are dope, lyrics are dope, but what happend to energy and delivery? gza sounds like he recorded the album half asleep. WAKE UP!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:24 AM   #123
Ritter
'Section 9'

Ritter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venoms

GZA/Genius - Pro Tools (Babygrande)

'Pro Tools' is a leap forward for Wu-Tang's most cerebral wordsmith

About.com Rating

The Wu-Tang Clan's top lyrical assassin returns with a follow-up to his 2005 collaboration with Cypress Hill's main producer DJ Muggs. But does GZA's Pro Tools live up to the hype?

Talent And Natural Game

In studying the reception of the GZA's previous solo ventures, production quality has always been a crucial determining factor for the overall experience of the album. The GZA faithfully delivers on the lyrical end, but a sub-par backdrop can tend to sap this quality into an unbalanced and undesirable product. Thankfully, Pro Tools is a strong leap forward in the right direction. Diversifying more than just his bond investments, the GZA employs production from a wide range of Wu-Tang beatsmiths like the RZA, Dreddy Kruger, Bronze Nazareth, Mathematics and more, along with a well-matched contribution by Detroit's own Black Milk. Each track knocks with Wu-centric elements, from the placid "Intromental" (which utilizes the same Soul Dog track as Common's "Hungry") to the frenetic Gary Numon-sampling "Life is a Movie". While the GZA may have found a well-suited production partner in Muggs three years ago (Grandmasters -- though he's worked with him before), the Wu-fam brews up an equally potent assortment of beats for his latest project.

Lyrical Swords

The GZA wastes no time in jumping into abstract themes and concepts with provocative tracks like "Cinema", which encapsulates the narrative of a thriller/horror flick within the span of less than three minutes; the GZA's son Justice supplements an excellent tag team effort in his chilling chorus lines. Onward, the Genius commits vehicular homicide (lyrically that is) on "0% Finance", in which he incorporates a hysterically incomprehensible amount of car/SUV-related puns, similes and metaphors (over a re-tooled "Stay in Line" beat). The GZA also waxes reflective on cuts like "Path of Destruction" and "Short Race", an introspective profile of the ghetto youth. A strong showing and prominent example of GZA's lyricism and frequently used war-related imagery, the True Master-assisted "Columbian Ties" finds the Genius lamenting: "A president's madness, responsible for losses/ Political forces, land littered with corpses/".

At times throughout Pro Tools, the GZA sounds much slower paced and tranquil than in his previous efforts. Typically though, it exhibits a level of assurance and poise more so than age catching up. With the RZA flinging darts over the chamber-like booms and claps of "Pencil" ("A black, blind governor, a rich white mayor/ Mayne, this whole city ain't got a prayer/"), the GZA confidently spits: "R.A.W./ Still bring trouble to...". Trouble indeed! The Genius calmly yet dominantly belittles 50 Cent and his camp on the heavily-circulated "Paper Plate" diss record, in which he proceeds to "spray the Flea-Unit with pesticide". Separating his craft from the perceived "disposable arts" of his peers, the GZA takes a stand as a self-proclaimed elder statesman; nonetheless, the diss track shouldn't be viewed as Pro Tool's focal point. There's a distinguishably liquid-like (ahem) sense of continuity and focus throughout the album's duration.

Genius at Work

After multiple spins, Pro Tools is the kind of album which maintains its traction and fails to lose its replay value. A relatively short track time aside (44+ minutes), it can be argued (and it will be, by Wu-fanatics for quite some time now) that Pro Tools is the GZA's best album since... yup, I'll say it: Liquid Swords. Realistically speaking, it stands alongside Ghostface's Supreme Clientele and Fishscale as the best solo Wu-Tang releases of the 21st century. To use the appropriate terminology: Pro Tools is definitely a Wu-banga!
Top Tracks
  • "Pencil"
  • "Alphabets"
  • "0% Finance"
  • "Paper Plate"
  • "Columbian Ties"
  • "Life is a Movie"
http://rap.about.com/od/reviews/fr/GZAProTools.htm
Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:40 AM   #124
SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
AKA THE PROTO-CHAOS

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzah View Post
GZA/Genius - Pro Tools (Babygrande)

'Pro Tools' is a leap forward for Wu-Tang's most cerebral wordsmith

About.com Rating

The Wu-Tang Clan's top lyrical assassin returns with a follow-up to his 2005 collaboration with Cypress Hill's main producer DJ Muggs. But does GZA's Pro Tools live up to the hype?

Talent And Natural Game

In studying the reception of the GZA's previous solo ventures, production quality has always been a crucial determining factor for the overall experience of the album. The GZA faithfully delivers on the lyrical end, but a sub-par backdrop can tend to sap this quality into an unbalanced and undesirable product. Thankfully, Pro Tools is a strong leap forward in the right direction. Diversifying more than just his bond investments, the GZA employs production from a wide range of Wu-Tang beatsmiths like the RZA, Dreddy Kruger, Bronze Nazareth, Mathematics and more, along with a well-matched contribution by Detroit's own Black Milk. Each track knocks with Wu-centric elements, from the placid "Intromental" (which utilizes the same Soul Dog track as Common's "Hungry") to the frenetic Gary Numon-sampling "Life is a Movie". While the GZA may have found a well-suited production partner in Muggs three years ago (Grandmasters -- though he's worked with him before), the Wu-fam brews up an equally potent assortment of beats for his latest project.

Lyrical Swords

The GZA wastes no time in jumping into abstract themes and concepts with provocative tracks like "Cinema", which encapsulates the narrative of a thriller/horror flick within the span of less than three minutes; the GZA's son Justice supplements an excellent tag team effort in his chilling chorus lines. Onward, the Genius commits vehicular homicide (lyrically that is) on "0% Finance", in which he incorporates a hysterically incomprehensible amount of car/SUV-related puns, similes and metaphors (over a re-tooled "Stay in Line" beat). The GZA also waxes reflective on cuts like "Path of Destruction" and "Short Race", an introspective profile of the ghetto youth. A strong showing and prominent example of GZA's lyricism and frequently used war-related imagery, the True Master-assisted "Columbian Ties" finds the Genius lamenting: "A president's madness, responsible for losses/ Political forces, land littered with corpses/".

At times throughout Pro Tools, the GZA sounds much slower paced and tranquil than in his previous efforts. Typically though, it exhibits a level of assurance and poise more so than age catching up. With the RZA flinging darts over the chamber-like booms and claps of "Pencil" ("A black, blind governor, a rich white mayor/ Mayne, this whole city ain't got a prayer/"), the GZA confidently spits: "R.A.W./ Still bring trouble to...". Trouble indeed! The Genius calmly yet dominantly belittles 50 Cent and his camp on the heavily-circulated "Paper Plate" diss record, in which he proceeds to "spray the Flea-Unit with pesticide". Separating his craft from the perceived "disposable arts" of his peers, the GZA takes a stand as a self-proclaimed elder statesman; nonetheless, the diss track shouldn't be viewed as Pro Tool's focal point. There's a distinguishably liquid-like (ahem) sense of continuity and focus throughout the album's duration.

Genius at Work

After multiple spins, Pro Tools is the kind of album which maintains its traction and fails to lose its replay value. A relatively short track time aside (44+ minutes), it can be argued (and it will be, by Wu-fanatics for quite some time now) that Pro Tools is the GZA's best album since... yup, I'll say it: Liquid Swords. Realistically speaking, it stands alongside Ghostface's Supreme Clientele and Fishscale as the best solo Wu-Tang releases of the 21st century. To use the appropriate terminology: Pro Tools is definitely a Wu-banga!
Top Tracks
  • "Pencil"
  • "Alphabets"
  • "0% Finance"
  • "Paper Plate"
  • "Columbian Ties"
  • "Life is a Movie"
http://rap.about.com/od/reviews/fr/GZAProTools.htm
good shizzah i hate the idoits that haven't heard it and are bashing it but when they get it they'll do a 360 and love it and deny all of the crap plus i didn't like how cynical and one diamentional this review was but it was straight to the point

NON IGNORANT...

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #125
Ritter
'Section 9'

Ritter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venoms

rap.about always gives reviews like that. I'll PM you the 8 Diagrams review from them. Hold up a sec.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #126
Ritter
'Section 9'

INTROMENTAL

A brief instrumental intro, lest they start right in with the rappin'. I'm pretty sure I've heard this sampled before on a rap song. It's too bad no one rapped on it here.

PENCIL

Like some shit right off Wu-Tang Forever. RZA and Masta Killa both lend guest raps, but it's the RZA (note I didn't just misspell GZA) that fucking pwns this. I haven't heard the RZA this focused since... well, ever. Which is shocking, since I haven't liked anything he's done in years.

ALPHABETS

Holy crap this is good. Like, Liquid Swords good. No hyperbole. The chorus consists of GZA rapping the words of the alphabet. Which sounds like some dorky bullshit, and maybe it is, but wait until you hear it.

GROUNDBREAKING

GZA trades a few verses with his son. As you might have guessed, there's no talk of supermanning that ho, or anything silly like that.

7 POUNDS

Finally, Black Milk does a track for someone from the Wu. The result is about as magical as you might expect. Shit, maybe even more so.

0% FINANCE

A story where GZA flips the names of various cars and other car-related terms (e.g. spark plugs) a la "Labels"

SHORT RACE

A darker, more straightforward story. Rock Marcy kicks the chorus and also a guest verse.

INTERLUDE

GZA mentions that he once saw a kid with a Wu-Tang logo tattooed on his face, but he doubts anyone will ever get the G-Unit logo tattooed on their face. No, really, he does.

PAPER PLATE

The surprisingly kinda meh Fiddy dis record.

COLUMBIAN TIES

The production on this one kinda reminds me of that Peruvian cocaine record by Immortal Technique.

FIREHOUSE

Whereas, the string-based production on this kinda reminds of something MF Doom might do, if he wasn't off somewhere being a psycho. Some gruff-voiced weed carrier guy does most of the rappin' on this. He's not half that bad, though I'm wondering why he's got damn near his own song on this.

PATH OF DESTRUCTION

If you notice, several songs on this are about kids who've gone down the wrong path. My grandpa used to always talk about how bad kids were getting. (This was back during the crack era.) I'm just saying.

CINEMA

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd feel about rapping with my father, let alone rapping some weird shit like this. I suppose it could be worse. Ghostface's son raps about running trains with his father. And for all we know, he probably does.

INTERMISSION

Another brief interlude. No talking or anything. But there is that one kung fu film sample from one of those early Wu-Tang albums. I think Tical, but who knows these days.

LIFE IS A MOVIE

The best thing RZA has done in ages, maybe since the 1990s. It's got these crazy drums, and these Gary Numan-sounding synths, and then the chorus is by some guy who actually does sound like Gary Numan. Or shit, maybe it is Gary Numan, though the credits on my special critics version of this list some Chinese guy.

ELASTIC AUDIO

GZA rapping one of his old songs I forgot about, live. Then he kicks some raps acapulco, with no music.

COMMENTS: Shockingly good. The best GZA album since Liquid Swords, and it's not like I wasn't a fan of Beneath the Surface and Legend of the Liquid Sword and Grandmasters. I don't want to put too much of a point on it, but this could very well be the best Wu-Tang-related album since Supreme Clientele. I only hesitate to say that because hip-hop's been in such a slump for I don't know how long, and it could be that I've been so starved for good shit that I'm getting a little bit stannish here. I'm probably not though.

Pro Tools is looking good with the fans ^
Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #127
LuckyTheWonderDog
Peace to the god(zilla)

LuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venoms

I still haven't heard this, but do people really think it's better than Beneath the Surface? Beneath is one of my favourite hip-hop albums, so if it's even close i'm gonna be a happy muthafucka.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...
LuckyTheWonderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #128
Ritter
'Section 9'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTheWonderDog View Post
I still haven't heard this, but do people really think it's better than Beneath the Surface? Beneath is one of my favourite hip-hop albums, so if it's even close i'm gonna be a happy muthafucka.
It's somewhere along those lines. I think you'll be a happy muthafucka.

Yes, you definitely will be a happy muthafucka.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #129
LuckyTheWonderDog
Peace to the god(zilla)

LuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venoms

I've only heard the leaked Alphabets and Paper Plates. Alphabets was quality but I didn't really like Paper Plates. Lyrically it was great, but GZA sounded kinda sleepy and the beat was crap (in my opnion).

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #130
duotone
PRODIGAL SUN

duotone crouching tiger

seriously, this is one of the best wu releases since forever....
gza is still the best in clan and one of the best mc's ever....

pro tools comes near to classic...

you see that u can still rap with 42.... damn...

big up to gza... (and rza 4 his verse on pencil... amazing... best rzaverse since... oh... i dont know... )

go to the store and cop that shit... show them that you have the right taste and invest in sumthin good...

http://www.youtube.com/du0t0ne
duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #131
hide1998
超黒人

hide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal son

Quote:
I've only heard the leaked Alphabets and Paper Plates. Alphabets was quality but I didn't really like Paper Plates. Lyrically it was great, but GZA sounded kinda sleepy and the beat was crap (in my opnion).
Sounds like you got that, "I know I'm not going to feel it as much as you guys" tone goin'. Chances are, surprisingly, you're not going to feel it as much as the rest of us.

*dies of shock*

"The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud
hide1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #132
LuckyTheWonderDog
Peace to the god(zilla)

No, sounds like I've got that "My double vinyl hasn't arrived yet but I can't fuckin wait til it does. I'd stopped expecting new Wu albums to deliver as much as my favourites from the past but the talk on here has got me mad excited" tone goin'.

Hope you did actualy die of shock there though.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #133
hide1998
超黒人

hide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal son

Quote:
Hope you did actualy die of shock there though.
Comments like that remind me I'm in a message forum, for better or worse.

In any event, be prepared not to feel it as much as most of us, as you've clearly already set yourself up for that.

"The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud
hide1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #134
Durag
RaizaBlade

Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

^^Damn, he was just wondering if its really as good as Beneath The Surface. Im skeptical about people saying that too, but im looking foward to hearing it.

AOTY
Durag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #135
LuckyTheWonderDog
Peace to the god(zilla)

Don't worry Durag he knows what you're really thinking because of his psychic powers.