news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber

Old 06-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Wu-Tang Gambino
Liquid Swordsman

Wu-Tang Gambino shaolin monk
Default New U-God interview from hiphopdx

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...rpening-skills

“[The title Dopium came about] one day. I’m sitting in the house and there are all these drug commercials: Xanax, Lithium, and all this other crazy shit. I’m just like, ‘Damn, all these companies are coming up with these names for these drugs," said the Staten Island emcee. "The Like, shit, where do they get all these names from?’ And they’re legalized drug companies. So I’m sitting there, saying to myself, ‘Damn, [Dr.] Dre had The Chronic, and shit, [these companies] make billions and billions of dollars off of these names and these legalized drugs,’ and I also had the thought…that everybody says ‘I’ve got the crack rap.’ I’m sitting there thinking, ‘You know what? I’ve got to come up with a drug name that represents my music and how I feel my music is.’ U-God deduced, "'I’ve got that dope shit. I’ve got dopium.’ I cut off the words ‘dope’ and ‘opium’ and put them together, and said ‘I’ve got that dopium.’”

“[In] my years of rhyming, I’ve been able to sit back and study my brothers [in the Wu-Tang Clan],” said U-God. “I can’t deny nothing: I learned all my craft from the nine greatest emcees to ever embrace this earth. Being that, I [sat] back and gathered what I call in my mind ‘the manual’ for Rap. Being that I sat back and was taught by the best, I’ve been able to sit back and see things in music and rhyming that other people probably can’t see right now. He continued, "In other words, you’ve got spiritual Rap, you’ve got compressed Rap, you’ve got bouncy flows, you’ve got stutter step, you’ve got all types of different rhyming. What [I’m] able to do [is]…I can bring [those styles] about anytime now because I went through the so-called ’36 chambers,’ and I completed my dragon stance. This is what I’ve been able to do so far. I completed my chambers and my chamber task, and I became a master. So now, I can master any style that’s brought about. Any which way somebody wants to take it, I can do that with ease right now.”

Looking at the guest list, U-God said, “[Jim Jones], that’s my man, that’s my peeps. I was always up in Harlem [when I was] growing up, so I always felt [there were] certain dudes I could reach out to. And then one day, we were in the studio recording shit, and I happened to know that he was going to be there in the same studio. So what I did was, I just went to the studio session. He had a hundred dudes up in there, them niggas were smoking weed, he was doing whatever. I just went straight to the dude and said ‘Yo dag, I want you on my joint,' and he said ‘Aight.’ Two weeks later, he was up at my favorite spot, and I went up there and met him. I sat there with my man and I got a verse from the dude. Dude is a real dude; ain’t too many real dudes left in the game. I recognize real dudes. I can see a lot of dudes are faking, acting like they’re the shit, acting like they’re like this, that and whatever. But Jim [Jones] is a real dude. I approached him, and he gave me his verse in 15 minutes. Bang, it was nothing. Same thing with Sheek Louch. Bang, 15 minutes in. [There are] certain dudes I can see ‘He’s hood oriented, so he ain’t going to take me through that movie-star status shit, or not call me back he because he doesn’t feel level I’m on his level'...[Sheek] gave me a nice dart, too.”

“[The single 'Train Tussle'] has a Wu-oriented sound right there,” recounted U-God. “I felt like that’s going to wake up my Wu fans. Dudes that like Wu-Tang, it ain’t about me all the time. Sometimes, when you put out an album, you want to please your fans. You want your fans to be like, ‘Yo, I miss these dudes and I need that fix.’ Ghost’s always been the tip of the needle, [that’s why] I chose him, and Scotty Wotty has been around for years and years and years. He’s the one that really inspired a lot of my crew members to rhyme. I went and got him out of the depths of the world and put him on there. He came with his flow and all that flyness. Basically, [the song] did exactly what I needed it to do; it woke up a lot of my Wu fans. A lot of Wu fans were like ‘Yo, if this shit sounds like this, I’m going to cop that album.

“I can’t really compare [Dopium to Mr. Xcitement], because this one right here is more professional,” noted U-God. “I’ve got a different manager, I’ve got beat makers, I’ve got heat rhymers. This one is more raw all the way through it and it all meshes together. Ain’t no disc [that] sounds like this. This shouldn’t be together with that, [and] that shouldn’t be together with this. All the way through, you can put this one in and let it rock.”
Wu-Tang Gambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
SilvaFistz
The HighMindedLowLife

SilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of furySilvaFistz fist of fury

interesting. i really hope this album comes correct. ugod is one of the most underrated mcs but he keeps making mistakes with his beat and song selection. so far what he has released this year really makes me wanna believe that dopium is gonna be that good shit we've been waiting for. cant wait for it to drop.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Hollow Dartz
Don't grab my jacket dunn

Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Hollow Dartz

Nice shit.
Hollow Dartz is offline   Reply With Quote