news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Know The Ledge

Old 08-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
IrOnMaN
I understand

IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Question What did "Whites Only" mean?

A couple of days ago, I was watching a documentary on PBS that was about deaf whites and blacks during the 1940s. Now, we all know that the schools were segregated due to race. The schools where most whites attended had signs that said, "Whites only".

What does that REALLY mean? Does that mean that other races (Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Native Americans, Mexicans, and Arabs) could enter any white restaurant, attend any "Whites Only" school, could sit in the front of the bus, and could live in the same neighborhood as whites, but long as they were not black?

If that is true, then I'm confused. All Asians and Mexicans aren't white but they had the same rights as whites during this time.

Then if that's true, what is considered to be equal to white?

Discuss.
IrOnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
IrOnMaN
I understand

IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Maybe I came on a little too strong but I think that this topic is important.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Come Honor Face
Veteran Member

Come Honor Face iron monkeyCome Honor Face iron monkeyCome Honor Face iron monkeyCome Honor Face iron monkey

I think it meant no niggers allowed.
Come Honor Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Black Man
Veteran Member

Black Man crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
A couple of days ago, I was watching a documentary on PBS that was about deaf whites and blacks during the 1940s. Now, we all know that the schools were segregated due to race. The schools where most whites attended had signs that said, "Whites only".

What does that REALLY mean? Does that mean that other races (Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Native Americans, Mexicans, and Arabs) could enter any white restaurant, attend any "Whites Only" school, could sit in the front of the bus, and could live in the same neighborhood as whites, but long as they were not black?

If that is true, then I'm confused. All Asians and Mexicans aren't white but they had the same rights as whites during this time.

Discuss.
Quote:
Maybe I came on a little too strong but I think that this topic is important.
Peace.

Why do you describe or identify two groups of people using a color and all the other groups of people are described or identified by land?

And in 1940, who qualified as being white? And what were those qualifications for being white?

Last edited by Black Man; 09-01-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Black Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
IrOnMaN
I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embryonic Crusadah View Post
I think it meant no niggers allowed.
You didn't read my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Man View Post
Peace.

Why do you describe or identify two groups of people using a color and all the other groups of people are described or identified by land?

And in 1940, who qualified as being white? And what were those qualifications for being white?
Why are you answeing a question with a question? I just want an answer, not questions.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Black Man
Veteran Member

Quote:
You didn't read my post.

Why are you answeing a question with a question? I just want an answer, not questions.
In order for you/us to get the answer, who and what we're talking about needs to be defined in order for us to reach an understanding. None of the people have been defined clearly enough for an answer to be given and understood.

You're asking, "what does whites only mean" and in order for that question to be answer and understood, we need to know who and what we're talking about exactly.

During the 1940's the people who are called black today were not called black during the 40's. Society didn't use the same terminology you're using.

Those who were considered black yesterday may not be considered black today.

You're using very ambigious terms.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
ALCATRAZ
sleepless in basedworld

ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

it means no niggers
ALCATRAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
IrOnMaN
I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Man View Post
In order for you/us to get the answer, who and what we're talking about needs to be defined in order for us to reach an understanding. None of the people have been defined clearly enough for an answer to be given and understood.

You're asking, "what does whites only mean" and in order for that question to be answer and understood, we need to know who and what we're talking about exactly.

During the 1940's the people who are called black today were not called black during the 40's. Society didn't use the same terminology you're using.

Those who were considered black yesterday may not be considered black today.

You're using very ambigious terms.
Are you freaking serious? You know what I'm mean. Black people or African-Americans. And if you want me to use the n word, then you're a self-hating sick person.

Why are you......ahh fuck it! Talking to you and trying to make you understand something is like me trying to punch my way through a thick solid steel wall. It's not going to happen.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
IrOnMaN
I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCATRAZ!!! View Post
it means no niggers
Ok. But during those times, signs were posted that said, "Whites Only". The sign never mention, "with the exception of Asians, Mexicans, Indians, Native Americans, etc".

All I want to know is why other races besides black people could attend and do things in white areas and facilities. Were they consider equal to white people during those times?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
ALCATRAZ
sleepless in basedworld

ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
Were they consider equal to white people during those times?
no, they were considered not niggers LOL ... thats the point dude... no one gives a shit about a red man or yellow man ... its the black man that crackers had a gripe with
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Wu-tang Fan
Veteran Member

Wu-tang Fan drunken mastaWu-tang Fan drunken mastaWu-tang Fan drunken masta

Quote:

Discuss.

Peace. I normally don't get into these discussions but I think it means what it says. Purely because, even as recently as the 80s, certain people were referred to as black even if they were not black. For example, someone with olive colored skin and curly hair would be referred to as a black person even though they weren't. Middle eastern looking people were also referred to as black sometimes. So it means "only white poeple" in the literal sense. A lot of different races would have qualified as "black" in those days. Peace.
Wu-tang Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
IrOnMaN
I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCATRAZ!!! View Post
no, they were considered not niggers LOL ... thats the point dude... no one gives a shit about a red man or yellow man ... its the black man that crackers had a gripe with
Well, I guess they didn't care about Native Americans since they took their land and killed nearly half of the race. I guess they liked Mexicans since they have a nice culture, women, etc. Asians are known to be smart, hard working, beautiful culture, polite, etc. Indians are......well, Indians. What about Arabs? I KNOW for a fact that Arabs are called sand n. If they could enter a white diner and live in an all white neighborhood, then that was f***** up! Black people were just, well, we all know.

I'm sorry, I just think it was f***** up that other races could live, eat, drink, and do whatever with whites at that time but blacks we treated with such bs and nonsense.

I know it's all over with and in the past but I just wanted to know.

Last edited by IrOnMaN; 09-01-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
ALCATRAZ
sleepless in basedworld

dude you already know the answer to this and the poster above you explained it as clear as possible ...
Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Black Man
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are you freaking serious? You know what I'm mean. Black people or African-Americans. And if you want me to use the n word, then you're a self-hating sick person.

Why are you......ahh fuck it! Talking to you and trying to make you understand something is like me trying to punch my way through a thick solid steel wall. It's not going to happen.

IF THERE'S SOME UNDERSTANDING YOU WANT TO SHARE THEN SHARE YOUR UNDERSTANDING. YOU REALLY HAVEN'T SAID ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR ASKING A QUESTION AND TRYING TO FORCE A PERSON TO UNDERSTAND, YOU'LL NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL IN THAT.
No, I don't know what you mean that's why I asked.

Black and African-American are not the same.

The use of the word 'nigger' was used to refer to many people that you wouldn't call black or african-american.

The reason why you can't help a person understand is because your wisdom is limited. You're unable to take them from one reference point to the next. Don't blame your inablities on me.

People who are non-white (not considered white by people who consider and classify themselves as white) have been called many different names in america by white people regardless of their native lands.

Most names used today by people who are classified as non-white is based on the name white people gave them and during various periods of time inside and outside of america, these names have changed and also were interchangeable. Nigger wasn't a name exclusive to so-called African-Americans a name which came at a much later time in american history. Never during slavery or jim crow was a 'black' person referred to as an African American. Even the term African-American came AFTER the term Afro-American.

At one time non-whites were referred to as colored regardless of where they came from. The people YOU call chinese or japanese or african american people who classified themselves (or was classified) as white were all called by the SAME name at some point in time by whites (in america).

African-American and Afro-American were names designated during the 'Black Power Movement' to destroy the momentum and progress of original people and to keep them divided. It was aslos during this time period where there were MANY original people coming together from different parts of the world (different nationalities) as ONE people...chanting BLACK POWER.

Then what happened?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
djskillz
Raggamuffin

djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)djskillz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Well, I guess they didn't care about Native Americans since they took their land and killed nearly half of the race. I guess they liked Mexicans since they have a nice culture, women, etc. Asians are known to be smart, hard working, beautiful culture, polite, etc. Indians are......well, Indians. What about Arabs? I KNOW for a fact that Arabs are called sand n. If they could enter a white diner and live in an all white neighborhood, then that was f***** up! Black people were just, well, we all know.

I'm sorry, I just think it was f***** up that other races could live, eat, drink, and do whatever with whites at that time but blacks we treated with such bs and nonsense.

I know it's all over with and in the past but I just wanted to know.
I'm just gonna touch on one thing and then I'm out. It's fucked up in general what white people did to black people and to my understanding you're upset cause they didn't do it to other people? You've gotta understand that once we get into a topic like this there are no morals or rules to follow. At the time white people could do whatever the fuck they wanted. I'm sure that if it was truly their heart's desire they would lynch an asian. Hell, probably have.

So many bodies on my microphone the shit's haunted
djskillz is offline   Reply With Quote