news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > The Sports Zone

Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Art Vandelay
Importer/Exporter

Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Pitt moving to the Big 10?? wathc out Toochski, we're coming after ohio st.

Big Ten vows to spend next 12 to 18 months wooing Notre Dame

By Matt Hinton

As not so subtly suggested last week by Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez, the Big Ten officially announced its interest in expanding to 12 teams this afternoon, facilitating the two-division split and championship game that's paid such big dividends for the SEC, Big 12 and (to a slightly lesser extent) ACC. The timetable to "explore" expansion options is expected to fall in the neighborhood of 12 to 18 months, at which point "a recommendation may or may not be made," according to ESPN's Big Ten hand, Adam Rittenberg. They're really going out on a limb here. By "explore," of course, we can assume the conference means "bombard Notre Dame from every possible angle." The Irish make perfect sense in the Big Ten to everyone except the Irish, whose very special contracts with the BCS for postseason spoils and NBC for television spoils render conference affiliation redundant, just as they did when the Big Ten came calling in South Bend a decade ago. Notre Dame identifies with and enjoys its outsider status too much to sully itself in some "league," at least until market forces leave it with no choice, which is certainly not the case right now.
If the target isn't Notre Dame, it's surely one of six other ubiquitous options, all of them coming with obvious, fatal flaws. Missouri has no good reason to leave the Big 12. Rutgers is well outside of the league's geographic footprint and offers no consistent track record of success in football or basketball. Syracuse is awkward geographically and may be hard to lure from the Big East for non-football reasons. Louisville and Cincinnati are new money on the gridiron, basketball schools with no track record of consistent success in football or much in the way of academic reputation. West Virginia doesn't quite fit geographically, traditionally, academically or as a potential market.
The one non-Notre Dame option that seems to meet every criteria -- old football tradition, solid basketball program, geographic fit, academic fit, viable market, potential incentive to leave its current situation -- is Pittsburgh, which would finally get its longstanding wish to renew the natural in-state rivalry with Penn State, to boot. Pitt is the one candidate that could seemingly slide into the Big Ten tomorrow, as-is, and basically fit in right away. In my unsolicited, un-researched opinion, the Panthers are the obvious target. The conference may or may not consider exploring that recommendation at some undefined point in the not-very-near future.

Pitt's Dixon opposes move to Big Ten

PITTSBURGH - Leaving the Big East for the Big Ten would be a big mistake for Pittsburgh, according to men's basketball coach Jamie Dixon.
Dixon calls the Big East ''the best conference in college basketball history'' and said it wouldn't benefit Pitt or any other conference member to switch leagues.
Big Ten officials plan to spend the next year to 18 months exploring whether to add a 12th member. Pitt has been mentioned as a likely candidate because it offers a large TV market, excellent academics and a prime location. The Panthers could renew their lapsed rivalry with Penn State and form a new one with nearby Ohio State.
Dixon needs to hear a lot more reasons than those.
''I can't see how any team would improve where they're at by movement,'' Dixon said Thursday. ''Every situation, you have to look at why you're doing it to improve yourselves. And I can't see how moving from the best conference in college basketball history would be a good thing for anybody.''
While Pitt football might have more to gain than the basketball team by joining the Big Ten, Dixon doesn't believe the move would significantly benefit coach Dave Wannstedt's program, either.
''We've got (football) bowl tie-ins greater than any other conference, as far as percentages, so what would we have to change for?'' Dixon said. ''This thing just keeps getting better.''
Dixon mentioned no schools by name. However, abandoning longtime Big East rivalries with Syracuse, Georgetown and Connecticut and replacing them with Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota and Wisconsin - distant schools with no ties or significant attraction to Pitt - could erode interest in Panthers basketball.
Pitt built a new, on-campus basketball arena seven years ago largely because of the demand for Big East tickets. About 3,000 are on a waiting list for season tickets at the 12,508-seat Petersen Events Center.
To Dixon, the Big East became the envy of other basketball conferences when Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette, DePaul and South Florida joined in 2005. Fifteen of the Big East's 16 basketball-playing schools have made at least one Final Four appearance.
''We don't have to change, because things are heading in the right direction,'' Dixon said. ''Other conferences might have to change to gain momentum, but our momentum has been consistent since the expansion itself. So, it's exciting to hear about it and talk about it, but at the end of the day who's really going to improve their position from our conference? Nobody.''
Dixon's comments Thursday were the first by any Pitt coach or administrator since the Big Ten signaled its plans on Tuesday. Pitt chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg has been a strong Big East proponent, leading the expansion drive that kept the conference together after Boston College and Miami left for the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2005.
Notre Dame, a Big East member in most sports except football, turned down the Big Ten in 1999.
Dixon also doesn't believe the NCAA basketball tournament will expand from 65 to 96 teams, a move that would create an extra weekend of play and allow far more mid-major schools to participate.
''I just don't see it changing,'' Dixon said. ''I think it probably needs to be changed, but I don't think it can be.''
Pitt has played in the last eight NCAA tournaments, the longest current streak of any Big East team.
''I think our numbers indicate how tough it is to make the NCAA tournament when we have by far the longest streak in the best conference in the country,'' Dixon said. ''It just goes to show how tough it's become, especially in our conference, but I just don't know how they're going to change those things around.''

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/sho....php?p=2318054
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
hectis
Vic

hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

would they change the name if they got those teams?

Banner appears courtesy of the craft of Bobby_Digital72
hectis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
Mic Tyson
Heisman

Mic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venoms

i fucks wit pitt but they aint fuckin with OSU
Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
Art Vandelay
Importer/Exporter

Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Art Vandelay Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectis View Post
would they change the name if they got those teams?

they've had 11 teams for 20 years, why change now?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
check two
N.I.

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Couldn't you have just put this in the NCAA Football thread?

check two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
Art Vandelay
Importer/Exporter

this isn't just football. this is all collegiate sports

Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

They should change their name to the Great Midwest....why does that sound familiar?

While you were busy dissing Wu like a bitch ass/ I was getting served after sex breakfast/ Yeah, that BBW groupie shit/ can get you served a droopy dick/ fuck what you're speaking/ 'cause I throw W's with Puerto Ricans
beautifulrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Mic Tyson
Heisman

Mic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
this isn't just football. this is all collegiate sports
that would b stupid for basketball. why the hell would they want to do that. football makes more sense tho. they can be in different conferences for each sport
Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
Art Vandelay
Importer/Exporter

true, i'd rather pitt be in the big east for basketball, but football makes so much more money. if the big 10 offers pitt admission, i'm sure they are gonna want pitt's basketball program too.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
Olive Oil Goombah
Anglophile

Olive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killa

LOL....if it aint Notre Dame I dont want them.

Penn St. is not even in the midwest, but they get a pass because of Paterno.

Sure, let Pitt in. We can give you an ass beating every year.

Not only in football but in basketball too cuz Matta's got the number 1 class coming in.

Puuhleease....

I heard Rutgers wants in too. BWAHAHAHAAHAH.....cuz they want to tap the college football-less New York market.

its ND or nothing...

so it will be nothing because Notre Dame aint giving up all that money they get from NBC
Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #11
Art Vandelay
Importer/Exporter

in a way, i agree with you toochski. obviously the big 10 wants notre dame, but notre dame ain't giving up their independence until it's too late. and by then, why would the big 10 want them?

with that being said, the big 10 is losing millions every year without a 12th team to have a conference championship game. pitt is the big 10s second best option. they have more of an established football program than rutgers, they are a bigger television market than west virginia, they have a better basketball program than anyone in the big 10, and it would renew the pitt/penn st. rivalry.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
Olive Oil Goombah
Anglophile

Olive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killa

i agree a conference champ. is good.

Pitt may be the best choice.

But we will dominate u in football u do realize this????

We are not Cincy....this is the big boys. Can u handle this along with playing WVU out of conference???
Old 12-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
check two
N.I.

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Notre Dame hasn't been good in years.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #14
Art Vandelay
Importer/Exporter

how are you the sports mod without knowing anything about any sport whatsoever. they are still an elite football program. they still bring in top recruits every year. they still bring in millions of dollars in revenue every year. they still have the biggest following in all of college football.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:03 AM   #15
check two
N.I.

If you could read correctly, I said they haven't been good in years. I wasn't mentioning anything about what type of following that they have from drunk catholic people. Just that their football team has sucked for years.