news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
buckshotstheone
Legend

buckshotstheone shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to buckshotstheone
Default Is Finally Famous the 2011 College Dropout?

Today I look at the comparisons between Big Sean's 2011 debut and Kanye's 7 years ago.

http://www.reppghhiphop.com/2011/06/...llege-dropout/

Quote:
Ok now I know this is a pretty big claim, and in no way am I saying that Finally Famous, the album from Big Sean which right now is easily an album of the year candidate, is as good as College Dropout, or as influential, or that Big Sean has even close to the level of talent that Kanye does. What I’m saying is that while listening to Finally Famous one can’t help but notice many similarities to Mr. West’s epic masterpiece of a debut, not that it should be any surprise since reports say that Kanye was in the studio with Big Sean for a large part of the recording process. Whether or not you agree with the bold claim, one thing is for certain, Big Sean lived up to his record label name by dropping good music.

I don’t know about yall, but I honestly didn’t expect this album to be that good. After hearing some rather suspect lines on the “All of the Lights” remix and basically considering Big Sean to be a bootleg Yeezy, expectations weren’t all that high. But upon hearing Finally Famous it was clear that this kid has the ability to not only rhyme, but out together actual songs as well as properly sequence an album. The result is a damn good product that will most definitely be getting spins for months to come.

So how does it compare to College Dropout? For starters the feel of the album is very similar. It’s refreshing, it’s young, it’s wide-eyed, it exerts this feeling of a rookie artist ready to take on the game with more heart than most on the come up. Big Sean sounds hungry and focused, not letting a single note go to waste as every bar is carefully crafted and every song seems hand-picked leaving no filler (save for that Lupe joint).

As far as direct song comparisons, “Dance” is easily this album’s “New Workout Plan” while “So Much More” as the official closer, with its length and shout outs at the end is clearly a callback to “Last Call”. “High”, while another track that could have been left off, touches on the “Get ‘Em High” feel that Kanye brought to College Dropout while the epicness of “Never Let Me Down’s” music is felt on “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me”. The last example is what separates these releases greatly however. As Kanye touched on a variety of subjects, bringing consciousness as well as ignorance all wrapped up with personal touches to the table, Big Sean is more of an on-the-surface rapper, with exceptions like “Memories Pt. 2” and “So Much More”.

Again, the comparison between the two albums isn’t meant to say that Finally Famous is as good as College Dropout or that it even comes close, but the overall feel of Big Sean’s debut in 2011 recalls the breath of fresh air that College Dropout left us with. Shit both albums were even preceded by mixtapes of the same name. Whether or not you agree with the similarities, Finally Famous is a great record and that’s really all that matters, G.O.O.D. Music delivered us good music, and as hip hop fans we should have just be happy and enjoy.
buckshotstheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Protect ya Neck!
black

Protect ya Neck! iron monkeyProtect ya Neck! iron monkeyProtect ya Neck! iron monkey

It's aight mainstream wise thanks to No ID and that neptunes beat but breath of fresh air? hardly lol. Lupe's first 2 albums are what you call breath of fresh air.
Protect ya Neck! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #3
BIG D O
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....
BIG D O iron monkeyBIG D O iron monkeyBIG D O iron monkeyBIG D O iron monkey

i keep hearing abt this Big Sean kid....is he just another fad rapper or can he actually rhyme?
BIG D O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
BLACK BART SIMPSON
Veteran Member

BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)BLACK BART SIMPSON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

big sean is actually nice imo i was sleepin on him...
BLACK BART SIMPSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
food for thought
Black Star Line'r

food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

never even heard of this big sean cat

i thing ive seen him mentioned on this forums a few tiems though

food for thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Mic Tyson
Heisman

Mic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venoms

if u fuck wit drake you'll like him, otherwise he aint worth hearin
Mic Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
food for thought
Black Star Line'r

food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

lol

nah i dont fuck with drake and fuck this nigga too then

food for thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
IrOnMaN
I understand

IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
never even heard of this big sean cat

i thing ive seen him mentioned on this forums a few tiems though

It's a good R&B/rap track.
IrOnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Frank Sobotka
Veteran Member

Frank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venoms

No ID produced most of this album, I'm giving this a spin later.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
PANDA PISS
I Radiate Distinction

PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to PANDA PISS

Dope album. This kid has the potential to make classics in the future, although this isn't quite one.

Mic Tyson said hes like Drake. I can see what he means, he sings a hook here and there. Sean has a way to go before he reaches the level of creativity and intelligence of Drake though. Like buck says Sean is an 'on the surface' rapper, whereas Drake and Kanye both talk honestly about psychological issues and their flaws.
PANDA PISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Frank Sobotka
Veteran Member

Frank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
Dope album. This kid has the potential to make classics in the future, although this isn't quite one.

Mic Tyson said hes like Drake. I can see what he means, he sings a hook here and there. Sean has a way to go before he reaches the level of creativity and intelligence of Drake though. Like buck says Sean is an 'on the surface' rapper, whereas Drake and Kanye both talk honestly about psychological issues and their flaws.
Didn't drake steal the hashtag punchline shit from Big Sean?
Dipset still started it but drake said he stole it from Big Sean.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
PANDA PISS
I Radiate Distinction

PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I don't know duke. Thats a minor point. Do you think Sean is a better rapper?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
Frank Sobotka
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't know duke. Thats a minor point. Do you think Sean is a better rapper?
Haven't really heard anything from Big Sean, I just have a gift for remembering useless information.

I just heard the GOOD Friday appearances and that song with royce from Big Sean and I tried listening to Drake's debut mixtape and album but I couldn't get threw either of them.

Just thought that you can't say one rapper is more creative when that rapper's signature style is bitten from that other rapper.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
PANDA PISS
I Radiate Distinction

^^ Even if Drake stole from him Drakes music is never superficial, usually has singing, a wide range of topics etc. So IMO even if Drake had used someone elses style (which pretty much all rappers do when they start out) hes still doing more with it than Sean.

I'm not dissing Sean though. This is a good album.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Mic Tyson
Heisman

Mic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venoms

Quote:

Sean has a way to go before he reaches the level of creativity and intelligence of Drake though. Like buck says Sean is an 'on the surface' rapper, whereas Drake and Kanye both talk honestly about psychological issues and their flaws.
but Drake raps about the exact same shit as big sean. they both are superficial commercial rappers. and he did steal that punchline shit from big sean, i think he even said it
Mic Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote