news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Sound Shack

Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
Frank Sobotka
Veteran Member

Frank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venoms

My Current Jazz collection, what do I listen to next?

I didn't expect that 7 months after first listening to A Kind Of Blue I'd still only have 20 Jazz albums. But with Hip-Hop I often just listen to a new album and forget about it for a long time, with jazz I play the shit out of every album before even considering downloading a new one.

Last edited by Frank Sobotka; 06-20-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Frank Sobotka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
THE MASON
Winter is Coming

THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

try some Thelonious Monk

i like Genius of Modern Music (its a compilation of works from 1947 - 1952 in 2 volumes), but i still have yet to get into all his stuff. Straight, No Chaser is also very good

if you want more Coltrane, check out Meditations, Ascention, Interstellar Space and Lush Life

Herbie Hancocks Dis is Da Drum is really dope, its almost a hip hop album, in fact there is an emcee on one track. Fat Alberts Rotunda is another good listen

Coleman Hawkins is another really good jazz artist. Desifinado (sp?) is a solid joint

ELITE STATUS
THE MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #18
EAGLE EYE
0110111101110000011001010111001001100001011101000110100101101111011011100010000001100111011101010110100101101100011011000110111101110100011010010110111001100101

EAGLE EYE has disabled reputation

Im updating the blog list in the vatican DL section with something i found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bandana View Post
you dont want me coming around dressed in black homie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
Honestly dude, this is why I want to go to hell. Hell is crackin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crump Diddy View Post
Did I scare you?
EAGLE EYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #19
WooHa
Avant-garde

WooHa drunken mastaWooHa drunken masta

Morphine - The night
WooHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #20
Shogah
HONOLULU STATUS

Shogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal son

Some of my jazz collection on vinyl:

Miles Davis - In a silent way
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Herbie Hancock - Mwandashi
Charles Mingus - Me Myself and Eye
Weather Report - Sportin Life
Return to forever and Chick Corea - No Mystery
Clifford Smith and Max roach - the best of
Bob James - All around the town
Bob James and Earl Klugh - One on One

Currently i'm mostly on jazz fusion of the 70' like headhunters, some donald byrd, bob james and such.
Shogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #21
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i got all Miles's album between 1957 and 1975 (on Columbia), plus a few live albums and they are all very worthy to get imo. not a single one of those 30 Miles's albums i got are even remotely mediocre or anything like that. i love fusion, jazz/funk/rock/psychaelic shit mixed together and improvised and jammed which is what Miles did between 1969 and 1975 so if that's your type of shit, then you will love all those albums.

all Weather Report albums between 1971 to 1977 are dope, some are better than others but worth checking. also Joe Zawinul's "Zawinul" and "Rise & Fall of 3rd Stream" albums are worth checking for sure, Wayne Shorter's "Super Nova", "Speak No Evil" and others too.

Herbie Hancock is another favorite of mine, check out "Maiden Voyage", "Empyrean Isles", "Mwandishi", "Crossings", "Sextant", "Headhunters" and "Thrust" to begin with. also Headhunters (the group) album "Survival Of The Fittest" are funky.

Pianist McCoy Tyners album "Extensions" are absolutely incredible - it features Wayne Shorter and Gary Bartz doubling on saxes, Ron Carter on bass, Elvin Jones on drums and Alice Coltrane on harp. amazing album, check it out!

Keith Jarrett might be the best pianist that ever lived imo, at least improvisitional. start with "The Köln Concert" and "Changeless" (w. Jack DeJohnette & Gary Burton).

Chick Corea is also a good pianist, check out the album "The Complete Is Sessions" and "Hymn Of The 7th Galaxy" by Return Of Forever an Corea for one. Stanley Clark was in the group too, check out his LP "School Daze".

John Coltrane of course, "A Love Supreme", "Meditations", "Blue Train", "Ballads", etc, etc, etc,.

man there's so much great jazz that the best way is to discover it by yourself. for example if you listen to a Miles Davis album you like and check out who's on the record then you check out the greatest works of those side artists albums as leaders. Thelonious Monk, Donald Byrd, Dexter Gordon, George Benson, Art Blakey, Milt Jackson, Tony Williams, Freddie Hubbard, the list just goes on and on.. but it's great discovering new albums for sure and there's so much good jazz that once you get a love for it the search is on for the rest of your life.

gotta mention John McLaughlin too though, his debut "Extrapoalition", his work with Miles of course, he did two albums with Tony Williams that's ill, of course his band Mahavishnu Orchestra (especially the LPs with the first line-up of the band, with Billy Cobham on drums) and i just picked up an LP copy of "Love Devotion Surrender"; his collabo with Carlos Santana. great shit

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #22
Shogah
HONOLULU STATUS

Shogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal sonShogah prodigal son

Check out
George Benson - Breezin.

It's one of the most commercial jazz records ever, and some of the smoothest music you've heard and plenty of great guitar jamming along with that. It goes great in the car.
Shogah is offline   Reply With Quote