news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber > Lyric Interpretation

Old 04-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #106
immaculate

8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DThayer36 View Post
This has always been one of my favorite GZA verses ^^^^^
Goosebump material

8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #107
Sparrow Daene
PRODIGAL SUN

Sparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venoms

yeah his "silverbacks" verse is fucking amazing.

I dont know if I could choose a favorite verse, but two of my favorite lines are from "killah hills 10304"

"He tried to smuggle half a key in his left leg/
even underwent surgery/
They said his pirate limp gave him away/
as the Feds rushed 'em/
coming through U.S. Customs"

"He set bombs in bottles of champagne/
So when niggas popped the cork, niggas lost half their brain"

also

"Now look who's on the witness stand signing/
a well-known soprano/
a smash hit from Sammy Gravano"

is pretty funny.

a lot of coke rappers (who are so obviously not still selling drugs, if they ever were) could learn from GZA. instead of acting like you're still in "that life", use the same content, but just tell it as a dope story. Rae does the same thing.
Sparrow Daene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #108
John Nash
supreme maths GOD degree

Location: I don't live with my mum, my mum lives with me, biatch
John Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal son

'greeted by thunderstorm applause' thats a great line cuz if u think about it when u hear lots of people clapping it does sound like thunder which just creates so much imagery in very few words and a concise manner yet very creative. 2 many emcees think that u create imagery by using lots of adjectives or being very gory. what bullshit. 'thunderstorm applause' actually sounds like an idiom like 'heart of gold' or 'break a leg'. gr8 line from gr8 verse

John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #109
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

"Goliath cutting david's throat..."
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #110
diggy
The ABBOTT

diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

"Restaurant's on a stake-out, so order the food for takeout
chaos outside of Sparks' Steakhouse...

In the garment district got it sown like singers...
...now look who's on the witness stand singing
a well known Soprano a smash hit from Sammy Gravano"

diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #111
John Nash
supreme maths GOD degree

John Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal sonJohn Nash prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
"Restaurant's on a stake-out, so order the food for takeout
chaos outside of Sparks' Steakhouse...

In the garment district got it sown like singers...
...now look who's on the witness stand singing
a well known Soprano a smash hit from Sammy Gravano"
u also forgot smash hit. a song is called a hit when it does well in the charts.
also that leads nicely on too the next lines which follows an american football theme.

A smash hit from Sammy Gravano
here's the plan minimum for the hit , two hundred grand
Half time at the game blastin niggaz out the stands
The sharp-shooters hit the prosecutor, judges are sent

u can see the obvious ones like 'half time' 'stands' and 'game' but also ones like a 'smash hit' can b a big tackle (its call the way 'smash hit' fits both the singer and american football extended metaphors) and in american football i think a shooter is another name 4 a gunner.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #112
MaskedAvenger
Secret Rival

MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Sammy Gravano was a mobster/hitman and sharp-shooter is a reference to Basketball not Football but I see what you mean

MaskedAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #113
John Nash
supreme maths GOD degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
Sammy Gravano was a mobster/hitman and sharp-shooter is a reference to Basketball not Football but I see what you mean
ok thanks. sorry i dont much about american sports. i just looked at this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunner_(American_football) and it said 'In American football, a gunner, also known as a shooter or kamikaze' but i dont think 'smash hit' would work if its basketball cuz basketball is a non-contact sport.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #114
Sparrow Daene
PRODIGAL SUN

Sparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venoms

nonono. you're missing it. sammy the bull was a snitch. a rat. a stool pigeon. a canary. a singing bird. when someone gets caught by the police or the feds and snitches to get a better deal for themselves (like he did - he went into witness protection). so when someone tells all the gangsters' gangster business to the police or to the federal government, they say "he's singing to the feds" or whatever. singing = ratting or snitching

so on the witness stand in court, there's a "well-known soprano" high profile gangster turned state's (turning state's evidence = becoming a witness, giving testimony on behalf of the federal government against a criminal organization of which the "singer" was once a part) who is singing a "smash hit" by sammy gravano. so basically, the character in gza's story here is doing the same thing sammy 'the bull' gravano did. so this "singer" is "signing" one of sammy's "songs", get it?
Sparrow Daene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #115
diggy
The ABBOTT

diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
u also forgot smash hit. a song is called a hit when it does well in the charts.
also that leads nicely on too the next lines which follows an american football theme.

A smash hit from Sammy Gravano
here's the plan minimum for the hit , two hundred grand
Half time at the game blastin niggaz out the stands
The sharp-shooters hit the prosecutor, judges are sent

u can see the obvious ones like 'half time' 'stands' and 'game' but also ones like a 'smash hit' can b a big tackle (its call the way 'smash hit' fits both the singer and american football extended metaphors) and in american football i think a shooter is another name 4 a gunner.
nice. I've been trying to compile a list of songs from the gza where he uses extended metaphors or a multiple allusions (like labels, publicity, breaker breaker). Does anybody know on how many songs he does this?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #116
John Nash
supreme maths GOD degree

Quote:
nice. I've been trying to compile a list of songs from the gza where he uses extended metaphors or a multiple allusions (like labels, publicity, breaker breaker). Does anybody know on how many songs he does this?
since u mentioned breaker breaker do u mean any extended metaphor. cuz that would just b about every song. hes got a baseball metaphor at the end of i gotcha back. his whole verse in investigative reports is an allegory. he has extended metaphors in every song pretty much

Old 07-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #117
diggy
The ABBOTT

Investigative reports would be a good one to look at. Also mic trippin, amplified sample.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #118
tekunique
SupaSelekta

tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

on one interview RZA says something like, 'before Eminem came out with that Stan shit, GZA dropped Labels..' saying that concept was rooted already...
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #119
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

Quote:
Investigative reports would be a good one to look at. Also mic trippin, amplified sample.
I don't get 80% of Amplified Sample, the only GZA track that I can't really find the double entendre or some other very clever shit. It's a very weird verse, since his new album is about space this is kind of funny..

"You remain stuck tryin to figure the shape of space" let's see how he does it lol.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #120
immaculate

8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekunique View Post
on one interview RZA says something like, 'before Eminem came out with that Stan shit, GZA dropped Labels..' saying that concept was rooted already...
The Stan concept is totally different. TF he's talkin' about?

8 is offline   Reply With Quote