news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I got semi excited when I saw the thread title, then I read that El-P's not gonna be involved and now I'm basically not interested at all. El-P made 'The Cold Vein' what it is. I credit that album almost entirely to him. Vast Aire and Vordul are both good mc's, but they're infinitely better with El-P to back them. It's not just the beats. It's the way he mastered their vocals and what he was able to get out of them.

People always say how much Vast has fallen off since 'The Cold Vein', but he really hasn't changed that much. He just doesn't have El-P to back him. That's why he doesn't sound nearly as good as he did on that album.

Listen to 'The Cold Vein' and imagine it without El-P's touch. There is no Cannibal Ox without El-P.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
ShaDynasty
Bad Birds That Fuck Nerds

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

Most fans probably consider him the 3rd member.

I'm sure they can do something good but they need someone with an interesting, dark sound to work for them.
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
Young Gun
The Third Eye

Young Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
I got semi excited when I saw the thread title, then I read that El-P's not gonna be involved and now I'm basically not interested at all. El-P made 'The Cold Vein' what it is. I credit that album almost entirely to him. Vast Aire and Vordul are both good mc's, but they're infinitely better with El-P to back them. It's not just the beats. It's the way he mastered their vocals and what he was able to get out of them.

People always say how much Vast has fallen off since 'The Cold Vein', but he really hasn't changed that much. He just doesn't have El-P to back him. That's why he doesn't sound nearly as good as he did on that album.

Listen to 'The Cold Vein' and imagine it without El-P's touch. There is no Cannibal Ox without El-P.

I get what you're saying, but the Cold Vein is a collaboration album in a sense, three friends crafting classics. Cannibal Ox are going their own direction with this one, and could potentially make another classic given it's been 13 years; they been able to see the reception and how CV stands the test of time. With that in mind, they could craft a modern day gem.

But all in all there's really no way to know anything until a single drops. I'm remaining optimistic.

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
Charles Barry
Cranberry Grenades

Charles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venomsCharles Barry five deadly venoms

YES!!!!!!! Damn, this is the best hip hop news that I've heard in a long time. They don't need El-P. Cold Vein was an amazing album, but they've both had some dope tracks with other producers since then. Their styles compliment each other well, looking forward to this dropping.

Charles Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
Yuki
fat for the 90's

Yuki grasshopper

wonder how this will turn out

i hope it doesn't flop too hard
Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #21
Young Gun
The Third Eye

Young Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Barry View Post
YES!!!!!!! Damn, this is the best hip hop news that I've heard in a long time. They don't need El-P. Cold Vein was an amazing album, but they've both had some dope tracks with other producers since then. Their styles compliment each other well, looking forward to this dropping.
I can't stress Belief, Opto, DJ Marmaduke, and Zach One enough. All of them have made classics with Vordul, and Opto has produced a Can Ox joint.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
Pestilence
SLIMEY SAVAGE

Pestilence crouching tigerPestilence crouching tiger

Quote:

Pretty much agreed what you said there, it's still an interesting project as such though, but El-P made The Cold Vein what it is.

Hard to comment on that royalty-stuff though, but if El-P taking full control of the project made it such a great album, I wouldn't mind it happening again.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
AKA THE PROTO-CHAOS

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Look at vast aires last wo albums Dueces Wild and OX 2010: A Street Odyssey and both were really dope and i think they could pull it off.

NON IGNORANT...

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #24
CEITEDMOFO
DuncanHine Monument Cakes

CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)CEITEDMOFO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

OX 2010: A Street Odyssey WAS DOPE WITHOUT EL-PENlS

CEITEDMOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

It's not a matter of them not being able to make good music without El-P. It's a matter of it not being real Cannibal Ox without him. As far as I'm concerned El-P was as much a part of that group as Vast and Vordul. And by far the most important part at it. He made them sound like they did.

They can still make a good album without him. It'll just be like their solo albums though. Good enough music but nothing special. I'm personally not the slightest bit excited about it. I have no doubt I'll completely forget about it and only ever check it out if I happen to hear about it after it drops.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #26
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

All this talk about El-P not being on this album..even if he was on the album, it was not going to be as good as Cold Vein. That album is the ultimate underground hiphop record. El-P was a lot better back then. I think the producers that are working at it right now are probably just as good as El-P is in 2012, if not better.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
Young Gun
The Third Eye

Quote:
It's not a matter of them not being able to make good music without El-P. It's a matter of it not being real Cannibal Ox without him. As far as I'm concerned El-P was as much a part of that group as Vast and Vordul. And by far the most important part at it. He made them sound like they did.

They can still make a good album without him. It'll just be like their solo albums though. Good enough music but nothing special. I'm personally not the slightest bit excited about it. I have no doubt I'll completely forget about it and only ever check it out if I happen to hear about it after it drops.
Revolution of Yung Havoks and Ox 2010 are dope albums. They've kept at it for over a decade since El-P abandoned them, I'd say the real Cannibal Ox are Vordul and Vast.

Even before El picked them up, they dominated in Atoms Family.

I just think it's a bit of an overestimate to say it'll be just like their solo works considering we haven't heard a project from Ox in over a decade, or even a single for this release- but to each their own. I personally find Vordul's solo work solid. But I can understand the viewpoint of El-P's production/engineering bringing unique qualities out in Can Ox, at least on Cold Vein; but it's a bit of a stretch to say it'd still apply imo.

Last edited by Young Gun; 11-18-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
Pestilence
SLIMEY SAVAGE

Pestilence crouching tigerPestilence crouching tiger

Revolution of Yung Havoks and Ox 2010 are good hip hop albums definately worth listening, no complaints on that, and Vast/Mega are good MCs, but The Cold Vein is a timeless hip hop classic.

Of course even if they teamed up with El-P it wouldn't be as good as their first album for sure, but El-P is a great producer and his recent projects have been very good production wise and I just think that if he was to produce and lead this one it would be better than it will be without him, not saying it will be bad and of course they can suprise me and put out a great album, but I think that's less likely now.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
Young Gun
The Third Eye

"With regards to Cannibal Ox's new music, Aire said it will continue "that raw, gritty, spiritual, intellectual, futuristic New York [sound]... it sounds progressive, but it sounds old at the same time." They're working with the producers Bill Cosmiq and Melodious Monk. "We're gonna challenge you to think about the inner city differently," Aire said. "We're gonna challenge you to think about the government, the country, religion, crime... all of these elements, we're gonna force you to think about differently."

from Pitchfork.

http://pitchfork.com/news/48772-cann...m-in-progress/

Last edited by Young Gun; 12-01-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #30
V1LLAIN
ODDS AGAiNST TOMORROW

V1LLAIN drunken mastaV1LLAIN drunken masta

Talk about beatin a dead horse, Can Ox aint shit without the man who made there sound.

Epic fail even before I've heard anything, it's almost laughable picturing Vast with a triple baconator hambuger in his hand & a cell phone in his other hand. Asking lame underground producers for grimy nerd hop futuristic space beats...lol

Last edited by V1LLAIN; 11-30-2012 at 11:51 PM.
V1LLAIN is offline   Reply With Quote