news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey
Default How many times do you listen to an album?

Okay, so there is a large discrepancy in the amount of times different people listen to albums. So how many times do you guys spin a new album before forming your opinion on it?

How many times do you guys listen to albums before moving on to a new one completely?

For me, it often depends on the album. For example, an album like Redman's "Dare Iz A Darkside" is so dense in the production department that it warrants multiple listens just to pick out the intricacies layered in the sound.

Other records like Aesop's Rock "Labor Days" have many many lyrical plays. There are metaphors, alliterations, references, and hidden meanings that take many listens to be fully deciphered. Lyrical albums often demand attention to fully appreciate.

Generally, I listen to albums about 4-5 times before moving on. If it's worth revisiting, I will. But around 5 times and then I move on to another record.
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

I listened to old Wu albums 80+ times at least

Aesop Rock's Labor Days is a good album indeed. I like his abstract lyrics. What does a lyrical play mean though, does it even exist?

I listen to an album as long as it entertains me, sometimes 3 times other times 20+ times. It depends on the quality and the longevity.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
KJR
Master Ninja

I guess plays was the wrong word to use. What I meant was that it was a "wordy" record. There's a lot of density in the lyrics.

Really? You've listened to the first wave of Wu albums 80+ times!? What about Forever?

Which Wu album do you think you've bumped the most out of all of them?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
diggy
The ABBOTT

diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Maybe 100 times for great albums like Wu's 36 or Nas Illmatic. Albums these days, I don't even buy for the most part unless its peeps that's been in the game since 90's.

For albums after 2000, probably no more than 20 times.

Quote:
Believe it or not, lobster and crabs are crustaceans and are a part of the arthropod family, which include caterpillars, cockroaches, and spiders!

A Galactic Funking Hunt Wit Not Wont
diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Yuki
fat for the 90's

Yuki grasshopper

there is no set answer to this question

it depends
Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
Willis
85 %ER

Willis shaolin monk

If its an album i like then dozens of times.

I always listen to an album at least 2 or 3 times before judging it. Usually if I dont like an album when I first hear it ill put it away for a week or two then listen again, and I usually like it more, Action Bronson is perfect example for me, I hated Blue Chips when it first came out and wasnt big on Rare Chandeliers, but I like rare chandeliers now and Blue Chips is my favorite Action bronson album
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
I guess plays was the wrong word to use. What I meant was that it was a "wordy" record. There's a lot of density in the lyrics.

Really? You've listened to the first wave of Wu albums 80+ times!? What about Forever?

Which Wu album do you think you've bumped the most out of all of them?
It used to be 36 Chamers, but since 3 years I think Liquid Swords has surpassed it by a long shot. I listen a lot to music. I listened to some of Dilla's tapes 100+ times.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
there is no set answer to this question

it depends
What does it depend on for you?

It's weird because sometimes, I find that I think an album is good and the songs are solid, but something about it just makes it non-replayable, making me give it only minimal listens. (even though I still think it's a good album)
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
ShaDynasty
Bastard Bastard Bastard

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

If its a good album, lots. It needs to catch my attention pretty fast or im not wasting my time with it. For example mic tyson was dope, but since all his beats are basic and his rhymes are all jokes it doesnt have the depth to keep you listening.
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I've heard liquid swords at least a thousand times. 36 Chambers too. OB4CL maybe 500-600 times. It all depends on how good it is. Some albums stay in rotation indefinitely. Some drop out after a few weeks.

While you were busy dissing Wu like a bitch ass/ I was getting served after sex breakfast/ Yeah, that BBW groupie shit/ can get you served a droopy dick/ fuck what you're speaking/ 'cause I throw W's with Puerto Ricans
beautifulrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
I've heard liquid swords at least a thousand times. 36 Chambers too. OB4CL maybe 500-600 times. It all depends on how good it is. Some albums stay in rotation indefinitely. Some drop out after a few weeks.
Holy shit bro, that's crazy! No wonder you can write so extensively about your thoughts on the albums. You must've grown up with them eh? How many times you listened to Tical and Ironman/Supreme Clientele?

I think production plays a VERY important role in replayability. Even if the dopest rhymes are being spit, if the beats are weak/uninteresting, it won't age well and thus won't be very replayable. This makes sense when you look at the early Wu-Tang albums because RZAs production back then was just raw and unique.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Paranoid
-

Paranoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of fury

if an album is classic it gets played until its played out then i come back to it after awhile eventually.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
if an album is classic it gets played until its played out then i come back to it after awhile eventually.
How long does it take for a "classic" to be played out (temporarily) for you? When I first found Tribe's "Low End Theory" I listened to it for about 30 times before I moved on to something else, but I still throw it on, because it's great.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
Paranoid
-

Paranoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of fury

takes awhile to become played out but with a large selection of music tend to want to explore rather then focus on one album
Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #15
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
takes awhile to become played out but with a large selection of music tend to want to explore rather then focus on one album
I hear ya, I have splurged on my music purchases recently, and I move pretty quickly (or try to anyway) listening to them, but I always come back to the ones that I thought were really good.