news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 02-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey
Default Most overrated hip hop albums? Most underrated hip hop albums?

So what do you guys think is completely overrated? What hip hop albums do you think are unappreciated?

Personally, I think Cypress Hill's "Black Sunday" is overrated and is boring compared to their other albums. (especially CH3)

I think Jay-Z's "Kingdom Come" is underrated and there are a lot of great lyrics/beats on there.

How bout you guys?
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

I don't know about the most overrated and underrated but:

Overrated: Nas - Illmatic
Underrated: Uyama Hiroto - A Son Of The Sun
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
KJR
Master Ninja

I dunno man, Illmatic is pretty amazing. The internal rhyme schemes, the juxtapositions, the metaphors, the delivery, the spirituality, it's all there man! And all under 40 minutes! Crazy shit!

It definitely did take some time to grow though.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

Lol Illmatic is one of my favorite albums of all time, but people give him probs for shit he never did. Nas was not a better lyricist in the 90s than Rakim and Kool G were in the late 80s. I don't know why people say he took their styles to a next level, cause both these MC's were way more complex. The metaphors on Illmatic are pretty simple and the similes are pretty dope. Lyrically I think it's good, but not better than good. Overall Nas definitely was 5/5 on that album. The beats were also very important.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
KJR
Master Ninja

Lyrics just "good"? You've got damn high standards mate
Old 02-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Apocalypse
PRODIGAL SUN

Apocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
So what do you guys think is completely overrated? What hip hop albums do you think are unappreciated?

Personally, I think Cypress Hill's "Black Sunday" is overrated and is boring compared to their other albums. (especially CH3)

I think Jay-Z's "Kingdom Come" is underrated and there are a lot of great lyrics/beats on there.

How bout you guys?
Black Sunday is really dope, I love it, a lot of sick tracks on this classic LP, my 2nd favorite CH LP after III.

yeah, I also like Kingdom Come, one of my favorite Jay-Z LPs, some sick beats on this one, like that "oh my god" track, and I really apreciate the lyrics on "30 something"
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
daffy duck
lord

daffy duck iron monkeydaffy duck iron monkeydaffy duck iron monkeydaffy duck iron monkey

most overrated album: nas - illmatic
most underrated album: lords of the underground - keepers of the funk
daffy duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
sickdog
PRODIGAL SUN

sickdog iron monkeysickdog iron monkeysickdog iron monkeysickdog iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post

Old 03-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
jayrob
Banned

jayrob drunken mastajayrob drunken masta

overated --heltah skeltah nocturnal
underated --da bush babees ambushed
jayrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #10
hashashin
Be Seeing You

hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

overated - pwowr
hashashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickdog View Post
Calm down. It's his opinion.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
sickdog
PRODIGAL SUN

sickdog iron monkeysickdog iron monkeysickdog iron monkeysickdog iron monkey

Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickdog View Post
Haha, it's not to say that "Black Sunday" is a bad album. Not at all. I just think DJ Muggs stepped his production up a shit ton on the third joint, and I just enjoyed it's dark claustrophobic, paranoid environment. Totally unique sounding.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
OntheHorizon
PRODIGAL SUN

OntheHorizon iron monkeyOntheHorizon iron monkeyOntheHorizon iron monkey

Most overrated as of the last few years is Kendrick Lamars record without question. Its okay but them douchebags at Pitchfork and other hipster blogs are acting like dude rapped the cure to cancer and created world peace with it.......FOH
OntheHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Jay Z's Blueprint is the most consistently overrated album in hip hop. It's genuinely bad and i like Jay Z.... people call it a classic

In terms of underrated albums, i can't really decide what the most underrated is.

I liked this album a lot, no one mentioned it anywhere when it was released from memory. I still listen to it as recently as today.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote