news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey
Default Is "Vol 1. In My Lifetime" underrated?

So I've been thinking, Jay gets a lot of credit and some of his albums (like Vol 2 and The Black Album) get more credit than they probably deserve. One of the least talked about of his albums though is his follow-up to his debut, the confused but beautiful "Vol. 1 In My Lifetime." On this one, Jay's rhymes and raps just seemed to get stronger although this time, they were over glossier and more commercial beats. Granted, not every track works (*cough* I Know What Girls) but every track works as a cohesive whole. Some of the tracks are even Jay's best ("Where I'm From", "Intro"). I even love "Sunshine" and think it's a great hip-pop song.

So my question to you guys is, how do you feel about this record? Is it underrated or underappreciated? Is it one of Jay's classics?
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
KJR
Master Ninja

Come on, I know some of you out there are In My Lifetime fans!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
CharlesJones
National Director of Toe-sucking & Janitorial Affairs

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

In My Lifetime was his last good album. I like the songs I Know What Girls Like, Imaginary Player, Friend Or Foe part 2, Streets Is Watching, Sunshine, Who You Wit, Rap Game/Crack Game, Where I'm From. His other albums after In My Lifetime are mainstream and wack. Hard Knock Life album has a few songs i like. LOL@Robert Deniro being mad at Jay-Z awhile ago for not answering his phone calls hahahahahahahahaha. Robert told Beyonce at a party that Jay-Z needs to answer the phone when he calls him. Jay-Z thinks he's too important to talk to Robert hahahahahaha. It's funny to me how money and success changes people.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
MistaBPL

MistaBPL shaolin monk

In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 featured a jiggy Jay-Z and the sort of material shown on there sort of contradicted his image. It may seem like he's selling out due to this being radically different from "Reasonable Doubt" but some of the tracks he has are dope. Who You Wit II, Face Off, Rap Game/Crack Game, Where I'm From so he hasn't lost the street edge.

What makes this his most disliked album however are tracks like "Always Be My Sunshine" and "I Know What Girls Like", those songs contain the worst subject matter, worst beats and worst atmosphere. It doesn't seem like songs a rapper from the drug game would make, they seem like songs someone trying to desperately break into the mainstream would do and Jay-Z was a poor fit for the mainstream.

So yeah, some parts are underrated but it's disliked for a reason; too mainstream.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
CharlesJones

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

I disagree. Sunshine and I Know What Girls Like are good songs. How could you not like The Boogie Boys Fly Girl beat he used on I Know What Girls Like? He could've did without Puff Daddy on I Know What Girls Like. I think he should've also had Foxy Brown rap on that with Little Kim. The other albums he did after In My Lifetime are more mainstream than In My Lifetime.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
ShaDynasty
Bad Birds That Fuck Nerds

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

Its okay, great lyrics, mixed bag of beats.

I fucking cant stand the guy at this point though. Hes out of touch and overexposed. RETIRE!
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
MistaBPL

MistaBPL shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
The other albums he did after In My Lifetime are more mainstream than In My Lifetime.
So Vol 2..., The Blueprint and The Black Album are more mainstream than Reasonable Doubt and Vol 1?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

^
The type of music, yes. I don't know anything about the sales though. Have to agree with Charles.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
CharlesJones

Is volume 2 Hard Knock Life? If that's the one you're talking about, yes that's more mainstream than In My Lifetime. I haven't heard The Black Album. Just from hearing the 3 singles Change Clothes(gay song), 99 Problems, Dust Off Your Shoulder, i don't wanna hear the album. The Blueprint is terrible even though i like The Takeover and Izzo(HOVA)songs and Blueprint 2 is worst LOL. I haven't heard Blueprint 3 and i'm sure it's terrible.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
KJR
Master Ninja

I think generally the lyrics were really solid on Vol 1.

^Charles, you should check out Black Album. It's better as a whole. (and by the way, it's "DIRT off your shoulder" )
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
JASPER BEARDLY
Fan of the real

JASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of furyJASPER BEARDLY fist of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
Is volume 2 Hard Knock Life? If that's the one you're talking about, yes that's more mainstream than In My Lifetime. I haven't heard The Black Album. Just from hearing the 3 singles Change Clothes(gay song), 99 Problems, Dust Off Your Shoulder, i don't wanna hear the album. The Blueprint is terrible even though i like The Takeover and Izzo(HOVA)songs and Blueprint 2 is worst LOL. I haven't heard Blueprint 3 and i'm sure it's terrible.
charles, listen to this song. it's a just blaze beat. I heard when jay heard the song the album had been getting pressed up but he made them stop so he could make a song for this instrumental.

RIP
JASPER BEARDLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
KJR
Master Ninja

^Damn good track.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
laolu
Old Head, Young Shoulders

laolu drunken mastalaolu drunken mastalaolu drunken masta

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesjones View Post
is volume 2 hard knock life? If that's the one you're talking about, yes that's more mainstream than in my lifetime. I haven't heard the black album. Just from hearing the 3 singles change clothes(gay song), 99 problems, dust off your shoulder, i don't wanna hear the album. The blueprint is terrible even though i like the takeover and izzo(hova)songs and blueprint 2 is worst lol. I haven't heard blueprint 3 and i'm sure it's terrible.
smh.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
UNCLE RUCKUS
Fearless Vampire Killer

UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)UNCLE RUCKUS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to UNCLE RUCKUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASPER BEARDLY View Post
charles, listen to this song. it's a just blaze beat. I heard when jay heard the song the album had been getting pressed up but he made them stop so he could make a song for this instrumental.

Honestly that track is way too good for that album and nothing else touches it
UNCLE RUCKUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE RUCKUS View Post
Honestly that track is way too good for that album and nothing else touches it
You can don't think What More Can I Say, Lucifer, or Allure are on PSA's level?