news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber > Lyric Interpretation

Old 12-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Sparrow Daene
Raekwon was right.

Sparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venoms
Default The weirdest thing Raekwon has ever said

As Clyde Smith on the "Fishscale" intro:

"A lot of these Tom Cruise niggas don't know, man."

"...and all that other ????? fuckin' Tom Cruise nigga, like we ain't Vanilla Sky or nuttin' in the streets."

A lot of Raekwon's rhymes are just straight up undecipherable (in a great way) at least on first listen, but this Tom Cruise name-check and mention of Vanilla Sky is just .....what!?!? I don't have the slightest idea what he's going for here. Anyone?

First of all, claiming "we Vanilla Sky in these streets" has got to be one of the oddest "street nigga" boasts in hip-hop, if that's even what it is.

Taking a shot in the dark here, calling whoever he's talking about "these Tom Cruise niggas" could be another way of calling them faggots. I don't know how tuned-in to the Hollywood rumor mill Raekwon is though.

This is a coke rap album if there ever was one, all the way down to the title. The Vanilla Sky thing could be another one of those instances where a rapper takes something that's white and makes it a metaphor (for lack of a better term) for cocaine, like "white girl". There's a million examples of this, but I don't really think this is one of them.

What the fuck is he talking about here?
Sparrow Daene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
Guarded By Martyrs
There R No Strings On Me

Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Tom Cruise is an Actor....

I think Rae's saying these other heads in the street ain't real like himself & Ghost
They are just pretending or playing a roll, like Tom Cruise.

"Vanilla Sky" is a head-scratcher but what comes to mind is that movie is hard to follow
Some weird shit goes down in that film, that Tom Cruise can't get his head around.
It fucks him up....he doesn't understand what is going on!

Raekwon could be implying that himself & Ghostface do know what is going on.

The scene where he's completely alone, he can't see anyone
Rae could be referring to that particular scene.

"We Vanilla Sky In These Streets" could mean that they're on some other shit
That these "Actors" or those who are "Not Real" simply can't follow.

Or it could just be a flavour reference to Cocaine....Rae cooking up shit.

I haven't listened to "Fishscale" in ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow Daene View Post
A lot of Raekwon's rhymes are just straight up undecipherable (in a great way) at least on first listen
I agree with this.

The slang is the hardest to pin as it seems to constantly evolve and is up for interpretation.

In the midst of what a lot might call nonsense he's able to present intricate stories
As well as hidden jewels in the abstractness he conveys.
His range & dynamics allow him to seamlessly rhyme about anything/nothing :

This is why I think he's probably got the most verses out of The Clan.

I've often wondered who a good comparison to Raekwon would be :
In terms of style and I think the best shout I've heard so far is Goretex.

Last edited by Guarded By Martyrs; 12-16-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Guarded By Martyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Guarded By Martyrs
There R No Strings On Me

Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow Daene View Post
like we ain't Vanilla Sky or nuttin' in the streets."
Yeah I'm pretty sure Rae is saying they are unsung and dude's be acting like they can't see them.

As if they don't exist = "Nuttin' In The Streets" = Vanilla Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by whers View Post
The scene where he's completely alone, he can't see anyone
Rae could be referring to that particular scene.
Perhaps eluding to the price paid by being part of The Clan....rather than solo artists.

Guarded By Martyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
JEM
Wu-Veteran

JEM drunken mastaJEM drunken masta

clyde smith 1 is rae...clyde smith 2 is ghost...
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
KERZO
☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀

KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Rae's just bombing shit like math as per usual.

KERZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
J.T.S.
God Of WAr

J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

He had sugar in his ear from his last crack career... must mean when he was hustling the cops came to raid his spot while he was putting sugar in his cereal and he panicked and the sugar spilt in his ear

Prince of wales swimming on feet.. probably means doing the backstroke or just boat racing barefoot .

Connect words to make my man child walk.. means he was finishing a crossword puzzle and he found the word walk, and his friends baby walked at the same time.

Last man to eat tracks like you...means he is going to eat dinner once all the other wu did.

My evidence, my own testament, written on wood
Twelve tribes layin at the head of corners in hoods
Hell razah

Last edited by J.T.S.; 11-16-2014 at 01:45 PM.
J.T.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
KERZO
☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀

KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)KERZO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

'Prince of Wales swimming on feet' - that seems like he's saying he's the Jesus of fishscale to me.

KERZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
diggy
The ABBOTT

diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Rae said some really weird stuff - like almost every line in a rhyme.

diggy is offline   Reply With Quote