news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
THUGNIFICENT
Eff Grandad

THUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venoms
Default What is the most complete Hip-Hop album of all time?

As in: diverse, well-rounded, etc.

I gotta apologize in advance for this post. It's very pitchfork/shitty/faggot shit. But this is the way my brain is telling me to start this discussion.

To me, there's three main contenders, with one clear winner:

Wu-Tang Clan -- Wu-Tang Forever

This is the pure hip-hop nomination. In terms of being the most well-rounded representation of hip-hop as it is in isolation, this is the one. It's the encapsulation of the cypher/posse mindset. The beats are diverse but definitely all boom-bap. It has skits, which are well-placed at that. The lyrical content ranges from braggadocious to social commentary to story-telling to sex to drugs to religion. Fucking "Black Shampoo" though... This is pure hip-hop, headphones and hoodies shit, angry black male music. There's nothing on here you could play at any sort of party, for example.

Kanye West -- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

This is the maximalist nomination. It's again rooted in boom-bap, but with a lot more outside influences and combinations. The production is epic and sweeping, firmly hip-hop but with lots of approachable instrumentation. Lyrically, Kanye goes from bragging to introspection to social commentary to political etc. and so on. It has danceable tracks where Wu-Forever doesn't, but also lacks its primary feature: the dangerous edge. Even at it's angriest, there's nothing scary about this record. A lot of hip-hop comes from that menacing tone.

Outkast -- Stankonia

The experimental nomination. This one has the most historical context of the three, with it's southern influence and steady dabbling in foreign genres. It has the best of both worlds: cypher mentality, introspection; braggadocious and gritty, dance- and approach-able; boom-bap, experimental. There are well-placed skits. The album is definitively hip-hop but also approachable to non-genre-fans. Easily the best-rounded album hip-hop has yet produced.

Some Honorable Mentions:
Organized Konfusion -- Stress: The Extinction Agenda
50 Cent -- Get Rich or Die Tryin
Dr. Dre -- The Chronic
Jay-Z -- The Black Album

Dark Horse:
El-P -- I'll Sleep When You're Dead

What are yours and/or Why am I an idiot(and/or shitty 90's baby)?

Last edited by THUGNIFICENT; 04-04-2014 at 04:07 AM.
THUGNIFICENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Durag
RaizaBlade

Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I can see why you included Wu-Tang Forever and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (i know a lot of people hate on that but i thought it was a fantastic ALBUM, been a while since a bunch of tracks went together so perfetly to create a cohesive album rather than a collection of tracks which is what most hip-hop sounds like) but i cant agree on Stankonia at ALL.

I love Outkast, but that album was average at best. It was all over the place imo, they were trying to hard to be weird and use too many out there sounds, the whole didnt click together at all, it ended up sounding like a compilation. I cant understand why you didnt include Aquemini if you are going down the road of Outkast and you already have Forever there for the hardcore hip-hop edge (thats why i havent mentioed ATLiens).

As for my perfetc hip-hop albums? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit......

I think i would put Cuban Linx over Wu Forever, Forever has a few skippable tracks for me wheras Cuban Linx is flawless. The Infamous is another perfect album, but they both occupy hardcore east coast 90s shit.

Durag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
PANDA PISS
I Radiate Distinction

PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to PANDA PISS

What classic albums are there that aren't diverse and well rounded?

You could have just called this thread 'greatest hip hop album of all time?' instead.
PANDA PISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Stankonia? Try Aquemini.

While you were busy dissing Wu like a bitch ass/ I was getting served after sex breakfast/ Yeah, that BBW groupie shit/ can get you served a droopy dick/ fuck what you're speaking/ 'cause I throw W's with Puerto Ricans
beautifulrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
zooruka

zooruka iron monkeyzooruka iron monkeyzooruka iron monkeyzooruka iron monkeyzooruka iron monkey

Forever.
zooruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
RADIOACTIVE MAN
Alphomega man

RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Why would u put stankonia over aquemini or southermplayalisticcadillacpimping?

astro eden"- the new album,get it here
http://www.sendspace.com/file/pbnrft
RADIOACTIVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
infinite vagina
piggies

infinite vagina crouching tigerinfinite vagina crouching tiger

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
Souls of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde
Kool Keith - Sex Style
Eric B. & Rakim - Follow the Leader
E-40 - In a Major Way
Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
Redman - Muddy Waters
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Road to the Riches
Lil B - I'm Thraxx
Cam'ron - Purple Haze
The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter II
DJ Quik - Safe + Sound
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

Last edited by infinite vagina; 04-04-2014 at 03:58 PM.
infinite vagina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #8
Mcthuggin99
K.O.D

Mcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of furyMcthuggin99 fist of fury

Forever doesnt belong on that list. if you're gonna go with a Wu album, go with OB4CL or Ironman.

I'd also choose Aquemini over Stankonia. I like Stankonia, but its far from their best.

others I'd choose are:

DMX - It's Dark And Hell Is Hot
Tupac - Me Against The World
Kendrick - Section.80
Ice Cube - Death Certificate
Kanye West - Late Registration
Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt

im not trying to list albums already mentioned but i agree with most of tge ones already listed
Old 04-06-2014, 02:25 AM   #9
MaskedAvenger
Secret Rival

MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

wack

MaskedAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
MAYOR QUIMBY
Veteran Member

MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

J-Live - "The Best Part" is the greatest underground hip-hop album ever made. Yeah I said it.
MAYOR QUIMBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #11
THUGNIFICENT
Eff Grandad

THUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durag View Post
i cant agree on Stankonia at ALL.

I love Outkast, but that album was average at best. It was all over the place imo, they were trying to hard to be weird and use too many out there sounds, the whole didnt click together at all, it ended up sounding like a compilation. I cant understand why you didnt include Aquemini if you are going down the road of Outkast and you already have Forever there for the hardcore hip-hop edge (thats why i havent mentioed ATLiens).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackhead Bob View Post
Stankonia? Try Aquemini.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
Why would u put stankonia over aquemini or southermplayalisticcadillacpimping?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcthuggin99 View Post
I'd also choose Aquemini over Stankonia. I like Stankonia, but its far from their best.
I feared this would happen. I mean well-rounded in the sense of all musical genres, the entire pallet. Hip-hop albums that you don't have to be a hip-hop fan to love. Stankonia may not be Outkast's best album, but it's definitely their most diverse and far-reaching. All the experimentation and other-genre influences make this approachable for psychadelic fans, rock heads, etc. I also greatly disagree with you all on the quality of that album. It may be my favorite of theirs, that or Aquemini. I loved the experimentation because I felt it was grounded in knocking drums and dope bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durag View Post
but they both occupy hardcore east coast 90s shit.
That's what I'm saying. Neither of those can be included because they don't reach across borders. If you don't like dusty beats and raw gangsta lyrics, you won't like either of those albums. It's a very specific sound.

Quote:
Forever doesnt belong on that list. if you're gonna go with a Wu album, go with OB4CL or Ironman.
Cuban Linx and Ironman are mostly mafioso shit, with some stories of struggle mixed in. Also, the sequencing on Ironman is weak. Forever has every facet of pure hip-hop. So, for a non hip-hop fan, they would still be able to appreciate all the angles that are being presented here: braggadocious, story-telling, abstraction, bitches & hoes, romance, stories-of-struggle, stories in general, religion, philosophy. Lyrically it's very much spoken word and covers many topics. Musically it's got all sorts of influences so you'll be able to find at least one beat you can rock with -- "Reunited", "Hellz Wind Staff" etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
What classic albums are there that aren't diverse and well rounded?

You could have just called this thread 'greatest hip hop album of all time?' instead.
Again, it's about being well-rounded and diverse in the sense that it can be appreciated as a classic by someone who doesn't listen to hip-hop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite vagina View Post
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Quote:
Tupac - Me Against The World
DMX - It's Dark And Hell Is Hot
Kendrick - Section.80
Ice Cube - Death Certificate
Kanye West - Late Registration
Those are strong nominations.

Quote:
Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt
I disagree on this one. Jay-Z's most well-rounded album is definitely Black Album. Reasonable Doubt is like Cuban Linx and Infamous. BA is expansive yet grounded. Definitely shoulda been on my list, to be honest -- personal stories, party records, bragging, crime shit, storytelling. A non hip-hop fan will find something to like -- "Change Clothes" "99 Problems" "My First Song"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
wack
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYOR QUIMBY View Post
J-Live - "The Best Part" is the greatest underground hip-hop album ever made. Yeah I said it.
Both of your remarks have been duly noted.
THUGNIFICENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #12
UncontrolledSubstans
PRODIGAL SUN

UncontrolledSubstans shaolin masta killaUncontrolledSubstans shaolin masta killaUncontrolledSubstans shaolin masta killaUncontrolledSubstans shaolin masta killaUncontrolledSubstans shaolin masta killaUncontrolledSubstans shaolin masta killaUncontrolledSubstans shaolin masta killa

Binary Star - Masters of the Universe
Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #13
O3EY
arsenal f.c.

O3EY shaolin monk

liquid swords
Old 04-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #14
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

ATLiens is the best OutKast album

If people appreciating a hip hop album as a classic that aren't hip hop fans is a criteria then Liquid Swords gets my vote. No hip hop album I have ever know gets as much love from non hip hop fans as that album, not just love but genuine critical acclaim.

The three albums that I have given to non hip hop heads as a representation of hip hop have always been Illmatic, Liquid Swords and The Low End Theory. They get my vote.

And please, Get Rich or Die Tryin? That wasn't great even back in the day when it was hot because of a few singles no way is that shit the most complete hip hop album it's not even a banger
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white

Last edited by The Hound; 04-14-2014 at 02:24 AM.
The Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #15
ol dirty abbot
shaolin shadowboxer

ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ol dirty abbot Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT View Post
As in: diverse, well-rounded, etc.

I gotta apologize in advance for this post. It's very pitchfork/shitty/faggot shit. But this is the way my brain is telling me to start this discussion.

To me, there's three main contenders, with one clear winner:

Wu-Tang Clan -- Wu-Tang Forever

This is the pure hip-hop nomination. In terms of being the most well-rounded representation of hip-hop as it is in isolation, this is the one. It's the encapsulation of the cypher/posse mindset. The beats are diverse but definitely all boom-bap. It has skits, which are well-placed at that. The lyrical content ranges from braggadocious to social commentary to story-telling to sex to drugs to religion. Fucking "Black Shampoo" though... This is pure hip-hop, headphones and hoodies shit, angry black male music. There's nothing on here you could play at any sort of party, for example.

Kanye West -- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

This is the maximalist nomination. It's again rooted in boom-bap, but with a lot more outside influences and combinations. The production is epic and sweeping, firmly hip-hop but with lots of approachable instrumentation. Lyrically, Kanye goes from bragging to introspection to social commentary to political etc. and so on. It has danceable tracks where Wu-Forever doesn't, but also lacks its primary feature: the dangerous edge. Even at it's angriest, there's nothing scary about this record. A lot of hip-hop comes from that menacing tone.

Outkast -- Stankonia

The experimental nomination. This one has the most historical context of the three, with it's southern influence and steady dabbling in foreign genres. It has the best of both worlds: cypher mentality, introspection; braggadocious and gritty, dance- and approach-able; boom-bap, experimental. There are well-placed skits. The album is definitively hip-hop but also approachable to non-genre-fans. Easily the best-rounded album hip-hop has yet produced.

Some Honorable Mentions:
Organized Konfusion -- Stress: The Extinction Agenda
50 Cent -- Get Rich or Die Tryin
Dr. Dre -- The Chronic
Jay-Z -- The Black Album

Dark Horse:
El-P -- I'll Sleep When You're Dead

What are yours and/or Why am I an idiot(and/or shitty 90's baby)?

ol dirty abbot is offline   Reply With Quote