news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 06-14-2006, 09:48 PM   #16
baby jesus
Veteran Member

baby jesus crouching tigerbaby jesus crouching tiger

When I First Heard The Term Backpacker In The 90's I Thought It Referred To People Who Didnt Like Gangsta Music And Only Listened To Shit Like Pharcyde And Jurrassic 5 And There Style Of Dress Was To Wear Backpacks. There Hobby Was To Smoke Weed And Spit Rhymes In Ciphers All Day And Were Really Into The Culture Of Hip-hop. Thats What I Always Assumed.
baby jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:19 PM   #17
Bedlam
Making cream

Bedlam shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Bedlam

^ Yes thats wut it used to be, but now, when people throw the term around its used negativly.

Quote:
so is being a packpacker nagative?

if someone listens to only underground hiphop but is willing to and has given popular hiphop a listen and doesnt like it, are they a backpacker? and if that means they are, is this a bad thing?
When its used on these boards, its negative. The thing about a "backpacker" is that they don't give popular hip hop a good listen, like you said, they just say "oh this is popular, it sucks." Now I know there are people who listen to a majority of underground hip hop, but they also have the ability to actually listen to a popular song and judge based off its quality, not off of the fact that its popular and therefore automatically bad. They would not be considered a "backpackers". A backpacker would hear a Lil Wayne song and automatically say it sucks without listening. As most of us non-backpackers have found out, Lil Wayne has some talent, and the Carter II is a good cd. But backpackers can not recognize that because they're too busy hating anything that is popular. You see what I'm saying Wade? It's the attitude that underground hip hop is "real" hip hop and everything else sucks. Its the closeminded attitude that me and many other people on this board are sick of.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #18
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

most of you have got it....

It is a negative term. If you listen to NOTHING BUT underground "nerd" rap, then you are a backpacker. In one way they seem open minded to listen to something that is different....but prejudice A LOT of other stuff because of where its from, who the rapper associates with, etc.

Using another term, they are basically the "hipsters" of hiphop. The ones that reject anything thats mainstream ans are fascinated with things that are different in an original sort of way.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #19
MaShPG
MASTER deBATER

MaShPG grasshopper

from the backpacker thread like two weeks ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaShPG
nah man, those are my favorite artists too. in my opinion, backpackers hate hip hop and never stop complaining about it. they also criticize everything that is going on in hip hop, and are mainly listening to underground to be different and attract attention. For example, look at the Hip Hop Spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta4
Backpackers are suburban born and raised kids who think that all the "real" Hip-Hop is only found in the underground. They think that Hip-Hop is dead and they use they're daddies and mommies money to print out posters that read, "Support Real Hip-Hop" and include a sample CD of Aesop and El-P. Not sayin' they suck just that this is the general consensus of one. Def Jux is their favorite lable and they think the only good rappers ore those who only spit scientific/conscious lyrics 24/7. They are those who are leading Hip-Hop to it's downfall. The game is in a transitional stage and since they started listenin' to rap since they were 16 they think that the game is dead.

Motherfuck a backpacker.

WHAT'S GOING ON?
MaShPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:01 AM   #20
Murdah Piff
Veteran Member

Murdah Piff crouching tiger

backpacker means homothug too

"I'M HERON & SEX IN ONE, DOPE AS FUCK"
Murdah Piff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #21
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i understand the term...but on this forum it is used in any case when someone says they dont like a commmercial track. only haters use the word.for instance if i dont like some 50 cent tarck it isnt cause im anti commercial hip hop its just i dont like the music. mostly idiots use the term.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #22
Marc051
Veteran Member

Marc051 grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie Fingers
When I First Heard The Term Backpacker In The 90's I Thought It Referred To People Who Didnt Like Gangsta Music And Only Listened To Shit Like Pharcyde And Jurrassic 5 And There Style Of Dress Was To Wear Backpacks. There Hobby Was To Smoke Weed And Spit Rhymes In Ciphers All Day And Were Really Into The Culture Of Hip-hop. Thats What I Always Assumed.
No doubt, that's what I always thought back then. I was like fuck that gay shit. I just like hardcore rugged underground rap, which is what back packer rap is basically.
Marc051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #23
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I hate most of the mainstream hip hop thats out now, not because it's mainstream but because its weak. I don't discriminate if I think it's dope, it's dope wheather it's popular or underground.

On a side note, I hate def jux, a highly overated label.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #24
R3beLuTionAry
IP RELAY OPERATOR

R3beLuTionAry grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to R3beLuTionAry

backpacker is just an underground head, i dont know how yall made up all these things about the philosophies of 'backpackers' if yall do the same shit in a mainstream centered way. the truth is you shouldnt even have to think about this bull shit. just everybody listen to what you like, your taking this shit too seriously. by the way, someone can be open minded about lyrics and music and not like lil wayne, thats because theyre giving u a legit response whether it offends your taste in music or not.
R3beLuTionAry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #25
Oztradamus
The Cure-Coming Neveruary

Oztradamus five deadly venomsOztradamus five deadly venomsOztradamus five deadly venomsOztradamus five deadly venomsOztradamus five deadly venomsOztradamus five deadly venomsOztradamus five deadly venomsOztradamus five deadly venomsOztradamus five deadly venomsOztradamus five deadly venoms

Backpackers...

I used to know a lot of them in H.S, they were usually YT's who listened to wack shit like Anticon..

Oztradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #26
ShaDynasty
Bastard Bastard Bastard

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

people who dont listen to old school, gangster rap or mainstream rap
they listen to wack shit like def jux
i cant stand these muthafuckaz
if i could id buck down every last one of them cats
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #27
R3beLuTionAry
IP RELAY OPERATOR

R3beLuTionAry grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to R3beLuTionAry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu Masta Killer
people who dont listen to old school, gangster rap or mainstream rap
they listen to wack shit like def jux
i cant stand these muthafuckaz
if i could id buck down every last one of them cats
your bias and hipocritical. if you dont like underground shit why the fuck do u expect them to like mainstream shit u dumb fuck? it goes both ways, and its nobody's fault. its just one's honest preference. i personally love underground music to death but i also like a lot of mainstream shit. that puts me in a more open minded spot.

Last edited by R3beLuTionAry; 06-17-2006 at 12:39 PM.
R3beLuTionAry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #28
deadlymelody
Wu Vatican

deadlymelody grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu Masta Killer
if i could id suck down every last one of them cats
Hehe
Old 06-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #29
Dante
Devils never cry

Dante grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Dante Send a message via Yahoo to Dante

I always thought they were fans of that faggot ass "nerd" rap bullshit like Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Def Jux ect...