news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 07-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
36chambers
The People's Champ

36chambers drunken masta36chambers drunken masta36chambers drunken masta
Post DMX talks on Def Jam

From XXLmag.com

Your last two albums sold about a third of your previous three albums. What did you lose?
Nothing at all. Actually, you know what? I did lose something. Promotions. Thatís what I lost on the last album. I had people coming up to me after the album was out like, ďYo dog, when your new album coming out?Ē Everybody thought it was coming out at a different time or something.

How is Sony treating your project different than Def Jam would have?
Well, at least they care. Thatís enough for me. We see the same vision. I go to shows now, I see the street team all over the place. Def Jam just fell off, man. I was gonna go independent [after leaving Def Jam]. I was gonna go to Koch, but Sony, they hollered.

Youíve said in the past that you felt Def Jam was making business decisions based on their personal feelings. What did you mean by that?
Like, muthafuckas is emotional. They didnít like me. They couldnít control me, so they thought they would teach me a lesson.

So you donít think it had anything to do with the quality of your music?

Not at all.

A lot of people credit your early success for saving Def Jam in the late í90s. It must have hurt to see them brush you off, given your important role in their history.
Yeah, big time. I lost my love for it for a minute. The passion. I didnít want to do it no more because of that. It was just constant blows and then I was like, Man, fuck this shit.

Def Jam made your album one of Jay-Zís first projects after being appointed to President. Given that you guys have so much history together, did that make you upset?
I wasnít mad. He should have did his fuckiní job though. He actually did me really greasy, yo. [Jay] came down, listened to the album and was like, ďYo, this is hot, letís do it! Letís move on it right away!Ē Then as soon as he went back to New York, he went on vacation.

Did you feel like he was avoiding you?
I donít know what the fuck he was doing, but it was like [my album] wasnít that important. And then, Iím shooting the video for the single and he comes all the fuckiní way down to Miami and he doesnít even come to the shoot to say what up. I thought the nigga was supposed to be my man. We in the same city at the same time? Come on, say what up. What the fuck? He didnít want to see me. After those two moves I was like, Yo, this shit is not happening.

Since youíve left the label, have you had any contact with Jay?
No, I havenít talked to him at all. I donít want to talk to him. Ainít nothing to fuckiní talk about.

Full story; http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=2182

BIG L Rest In Peace
36chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
Da Problem Child
Dr.GrEeEnThUmB

Da Problem Child grasshopper

jay-z great artist

terrible President
Old 07-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
rubyspirit
Ridin' in the Wu-mobile

rubyspirit grasshopper

Lots of complaints for Jay. Maybe his secretary can ghostwrite him a memo to cover his butt.

Another test next month will be how well Method Man's CD is promoted.
rubyspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Da Problem Child
Dr.GrEeEnThUmB

Da Problem Child grasshopper

I have a feeling Meth shit gonna be the same way as Ghost shit was
Old 07-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
oldie
Hull's #1 Hip-Hop Fan!

oldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venoms

well done DMX!! finally an artist shits on defjam!!!!!!!

fuck def jam and jigga!! X is the man!

Aka. Living Proof
www.myspace.com/hiphop4infinite
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
racist randy
Banned

racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to racist randy

Lol
racist randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
crass
Wise to da game

crass crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyspirit
Lots of complaints for Jay. Maybe his secretary can ghostwrite him a memo to cover his butt.

haha! best single sentence on here in a while.

yeah i hope more artists continue to expose Def Jam's bullshit. failure to promote so much shit, from DMX to Ghost to Meth. blaaaah
Old 07-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
crass
Wise to da game

crass crouching tiger

haha i forget about Ja Rule entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Magazine Article
There was a rumor that Irv Gotti had squashed your beef with Ja, but then on the new SMACK DVD, you’re going off on Ja again.
Nah, I don’t fuck with Ja. Gotti wanted us to work together again, but I told him, “I need 5 minutes alone with Ja in a room before we work out anything. I need to get my hands on him.”

What would you do in those 5 minutes?

Beat him up! I need 5 minutes alone with him so I can beat him up! You also said in the DVD interview how you saved his life in Chicago. What exactly happened?
He wouldn’t have made it out the airport. I had like 50 Latin Kings with me. One of them was like, “Is that that nigga?” and I was like, “Yeah, that’s him.” And then one of them was like, “Let me know, dog. He doesn’t have to leave the airport.” Then I thought about it for like a minute, and then I was like, “You know what? It ain’t even that serious.” I mean, I wasn’t gonna kill him, but they was gonna kill a nigga right there in the airport. But I just wanna beat him up, I don’t want to kill him.