news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 10-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #16
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

so you all feel that hip-hop will not follow what has happened to several other genres of music?

I made this topic hoping that posters bring new ideas to the table instead of cookie cutter replies to the beasic question

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #17
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

if record companies decide to get behind conscious rap artists or if conscious rap artists get together and fund their own promotion and distribution then things could turn around.

the internet can be useful to these artists but i think most people arent gonna check for you unless you're getting radio spin and TV airplay.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #18
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I know what you mean...

But on the other hand record companies never gave a shit about artist integrity yet the original sounds always made a renaissance somehow.

Those record companies know you cant stay on the same shit forever.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #19
staycreepin_n_silence
Veteran Member

staycreepin_n_silence shaolin monk

depends on what you feel is conscious rap or is that word used so much that the meaning have bee altered. I mean no one really have fully explained "conscious raps" people down the clubbing but that's don't sound any more conscious than the gangster thuggish hiphop. In my opinion saying I'll kill you all over your records like Mobb deep isn't any more impressive than Paul walls saying about his teeth. I'm just saying What is conscious rap. Is it the lyrics or the message

Blood of a Slave Heart of a King. BraveHeart
staycreepin_n_silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #20
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

the record labels are only gonna get behind whats marketable and i think the "somehow" is that the original sounds you mentioned had a big enough following to make the labels pay attention.

conscious rap doesnt have enough consumer support to make a comeback and the labels arent gonna pick them up unless they see that enough consumers are behind it to make it commercially viable.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
Old 10-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #21
THE W
ISRAELITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by staycreepin_n_silence View Post
depends on what you feel is conscious rap or is that word used so much that the meaning have bee altered. I mean no one really have fully explained "conscious raps" people down the clubbing but that's don't sound any more conscious than the gangster thuggish hiphop. In my opinion saying I'll kill you all over your records like Mobb deep isn't any more impressive than Paul walls saying about his teeth. I'm just saying What is conscious rap. Is it the lyrics or the message
conscious rap i'd say is the message of social awareness and progress.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #22
Punch
Veteran Member

Punch iron monkeyPunch iron monkeyPunch iron monkeyPunch iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifical ENG View Post
so you all feel that hip-hop will not follow what has happened to several other genres of music?

I made this topic hoping that posters bring new ideas to the table instead of cookie cutter replies to the beasic question
What exactly are you saying has happened to other genres of music?
We had one renaissance already, the early to mid 90s.(not coincedentally happening with the "alt." rock boom)Then Hip Hop became huge and the songs expreesed that, with flossin coming back strong. Now, like I said, we are in the beginning phases of a new renaissance, where being true and flossin are not mutually exclusive.

the difference now is that slowly we are realizing that the consumer is in the position of power, and has always been, not the big bad record labels.
It's never been Us vs. Them, no matter what some so-called real artists tell you.

Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #23
staycreepin_n_silence
Veteran Member

staycreepin_n_silence shaolin monk

What the creater of this thread and many other hiphop fans or pseudo real hiphopper fail to realize is that hiphop is about expression. Everyone have a different expression and different personality. It all is hiphop. No one hiphop belief is better then the next. Example If someone says they like Dipset over Wu syndicate then the wu syn fans can't claim seniority over the dip fans. My point is this, the era of so called conscious rap or classic rap or golden era is no more than a preference. to say will it come back as if it hasn't felt is crazy. You still have your commons, mos defs, kanye west and your Kweli's. Just like you have your gangster rappers like saigon, or party rappers like paul walls. These types will always be. The reason why party is in is because that's the demand. FOr hiphop to stay a culture than it would be only reduced to the people in NYC, North New Jersry and parts of CT. Hiphop is about supply and demand. At the time the streets is what people wanted to hear so when Biggie and kool g rap spit that thug shit it was the only thing black people saw at the time. We saw gang activity on the rise. We saw, shoot outs even here in Arkansas. hiphop has move away from that image of black people and of black mentality. At one time if you wasn't talking about killing you wasn't going to get played. Now everyone know you are lying so you won't get played if you are talking about the killing you and drug dealing.

Now to answer your question will it come back. Yes it will come back because with each generation comes a different taste. It may not come back for another 5 years but it will come back and it will leave again. Understand it's still rappers out there for every taste if you want the conscious like pac was you have Kweli. If you want the gangster like kool g rap was you have your saigons. If you want party booty music like sir mix a lot you have lil jon. what was still is. Only difference is the change in the mass taste

Blood of a Slave Heart of a King. BraveHeart
staycreepin_n_silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #24
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

I guess that could be true, the cycle has already had its reniassance and may happen again. Perhaps it will only happen if the industry finds another hip genre to prey on?

Of course "concious rap" is only a concept....no matter what everyone defines it as, it should be clear what its about here...that part you dont need to think too deeply about...either do you need to remind everyone what hip-hop actually is.