news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Know The Ledge

Old 11-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Fatal Guillotine
Veteran Member

Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default What is Evil?

I'm not talking about 'right vs. wrong'. I'm speaking on the ultimate expression of the concept of evil. Anything and everything can be justified, but where do we draw the line.....and is there one?

I can go through the 'Net and find various definitions on the subject, but is evil a personal thing, or Universal to a society/community?

i think it may have to do with ethics
Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Dokuro
Banned

Dokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killa

every one thinks there right/good how ever i do no one thing that every one thinks is wrong/evil ME yep even i agree
because i have one firm aspect on reality and thats this morality is evil morality leads to hate the belief that your right leads to the belief that others are wrong witch leads to this

Dokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Dokuro
Banned

Dokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killaDokuro shaolin masta killa

have a moralist day sr
Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Fatal Guillotine
Veteran Member

Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

ethics, one of the longest argued disciplines of philosophy.

Morals are subjective, and in turn, is where the problems lay. There are no universal ethics, only ethics shaped by time, experience and unification of like-minded individuals. For example, in Yemen, society sees fit to marry off a pre-pubescent girl and most of the population does not object. In modern Western Civilization we have come to learn about the reproduction system and child development, and in turn, our new ethics arose from education.

As for killing, harming or abusing children: Protection of the young is found in many different species of animal. Our intelligence simply allows us to give reason to the biological necessity of preservation of the future of a species, but even nature falls to nurture/environment some times. The Spartans thought perfectly well to kill deformed or sick children so as to purify their ranks. They did it because they saw it as a way to ENHANCE the progress of human beings
Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Fatal Guillotine
Veteran Member

Ethics are indeed subjective however this does not have to be such a micro issue to the point that your neighbor has a totally different set of ethics from the next. However, obviously in Mayan society for example, human sacrifice was seen as ok and not evil while in western society is the ultimate crime. In that case, yes its relative, however what people with certain agendas want to take away from that is apply it to slippery slope logic "Well if its subjective then I can make my own morals and consider my own evil vs good". It's not that simple.

We get our idea of good and evil based on what is beneficial for our particular society and that is more macro. We can based this off of philosophical arguments for one way or another and then that is when we institute a centralized institution to implement it (government, religion, communities, etc) and in a way its the institutions job to make sure that the consensus on a moral issue is enforced.

Human beings in their natural state aren't bloodthirsty savages even though we can be pretty cruel at times. Brutality however is not anymore innate to human biology as is empathy, sympathy, caring, loving and all the other positive emotional traits humans possess. For example murder. We not only argue against murder on philosophical grounds (the idea of allowing people their own individual liberty and not infringing on it, do unto others as you want unto yourself) however we also incorporate human emotions to it. We feel empathy for the fact that someone had their life taken from them or that someone else lost a loved one and imagine how it must feel for them. After we go through this whole process that is when we start to build a table of "evil vs good" after we go through a reasoning process like above.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Dokuro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allahs_Disciple View Post
Ethics are indeed subjective however this does not have to be such a micro issue to the point that your neighbor has a totally different set of ethics from the next. However, obviously in Mayan society for example, human sacrifice was seen as ok and not evil while in western society is the ultimate crime. In that case, yes its relative, however what people with certain agendas want to take away from that is apply it to slippery slope logic "Well if its subjective then I can make my own morals and consider my own evil vs good". It's not that simple.

We get our idea of good and evil based on what is beneficial for our particular society and that is more macro. We can based this off of philosophical arguments for one way or another and then that is when we institute a centralized institution to implement it (government, religion, communities, etc) and in a way its the institutions job to make sure that the consensus on a moral issue is enforced.

Human beings in their natural state aren't bloodthirsty savages even though we can be pretty cruel at times. Brutality however is not anymore innate to human biology as is empathy, sympathy, caring, loving and all the other positive emotional traits humans possess. For example murder. We not only argue against murder on philosophical grounds (the idea of allowing people their own individual liberty and not infringing on it, do unto others as you want unto yourself) however we also incorporate human emotions to it. We feel empathy for the fact that someone had their life taken from them or that someone else lost a loved one and imagine how it must feel for them. After we go through this whole process that is when we start to build a table of "evil vs good" after we go through a reasoning process like above.
on the serious though i got to agree with this shit stain
whatever helps you survive in your area your culture decides right and wrong

weather it infanticide do to overpopulation

or the protestant work ethic do to overly fertile lands
Old 11-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Dokuro
Banned

hay Allah you study cultural anthro as well don't you how many years you in for you done your field work yet
Old 11-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Fatal Guillotine
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dane View Post
hay Allah you study cultural anthro as well don't you how many years you in for you done your field work yet
dont study
just try to be a well read person

ethics and moral go hand and hand

if you know about Confucianism you'll learn about filial piety and conduct.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Dokuro
Banned

well you should consider it the time i spent in the amazon changed my life

and after your classes you will find out that ethics is a product of morality witch is a product of social norms

Last edited by Dokuro; 11-26-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Fatal Guillotine
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dane View Post
well you should consider it the time i spent in the amazon changed my life

and after your classes you will find out that ethics is a product of morality witch is a product of social norms
interesting
Old 11-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Dokuro
Banned

since your in heaven on earth i took the liberty of finding this for you

Happy Camp, Ca to HSU
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=vl

try college of the redwoods if you cant afford the university
Old 11-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
Dokuro
Banned

Default General-chat answer

behold the face of true evil reviled

but have no fear we have been protecting you for years
look this squirrel was trying to plant a atomic-bomb in this bird bath

no need to thank us just doing are job
Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #13
Uncle Steezo
Gen Chat Bully

Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Uncle Steezo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

inflicting unwanted pain for your own pleasure is evil.
rape is evil.
sexual abuse is evil.
rage is evil.
greed is evil.
wanton destruction of nature is evil.

light is inherently good. all is light.
the inhibition of light is evil.
light is information. all is light.
the inhibition of information is evil.

IDI Amin is gonna get dane banned....
Uncle Steezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
Dokuro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUnded Fox View Post
inflicting unwanted pain for your own pleasure is evil.
rape is evil.
sexual abuse is evil.
rage is evil.
greed is evil.
wanton destruction of nature is evil.

light is inherently good. all is light.
the inhibition of light is evil.
light is information. all is light.
the inhibition of information is evil.

IDI Amin is gonna get dane banned....
greed is evil pfff ya right

according to Christians freethinkers are evil they guided by knowledge is information...... so information is evil? thats rhetorical don't answer you'll look like a dumbass

and it wouldn't be the first time some one tried to ban
Old 11-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
Fatal Guillotine
Veteran Member

The idea of evil is a human construct and there is no universal objective absolute about it. The best we can do is for some people to claim that its divinely determined yet even that has shown itself to be subject to change due to certain agendas or motives ( sorry didn't want to be the one to play religion card but its applicable I think) So yes while its not perfect, the best we can do is use a consensus based decision making process.

The thing is though while we might be able to discuss the counter points to that on a philosophical level, but realistically on quite a few things you'll rarely find anyone who falls outside the consensus in the SAME society. For example, you'll rarely find someone in the united states say child murder is ok. I would say there is a 99% consensus on that because we all realize the negative effects despite our own individual ideologies.

So to that end, yes an individual can possess an moral perspective outside of the consensus (for example at one time being against slavery) and its benefits can be seen later on or it can be changed. This is a byproduct if the imperfectness of our society and to be honest there is no way to permanently fix it and its unfortunate but this is used to fuel brutality in some instances however we don't really have anything much better that can last for eternity. However for example with the slavery example, I don't know anyone who called abolitionists evil necessarily except the worst of demagogues.

Folks want the perfect fix and sometimes you just have to concede that we can't fix everything to be exactly the way we want it. This is one of those things. Never going to be fixed.

Morality is purely a social phenomenon and manifests in higher order organisms. If we were inherently solitary creatures, our morality would exist around the paradigm of our individual mortality. Survival is ultimately the highest good.